Hastha Mudras or hand gestures are an integral part of yoga practice and have many health benefits. Shunya Mudra represents our inner heaven and is also called AakaashShaamak. Practising Shunya Mudra regularly benefits in reducing the imbalances in our body caused by the sky elements by conducting the body’s fire elements. The name originates from the Sanskrit language, where Shunya means openness, spaciousness or emptiness, and Mudra means gesture. Therefore, Shunya mudra can also be translated as “Heaven Mudra” because Shunyais often referred to as heaven or sky.
Let us learn more about Shunya Mudra and the benefits of practising hand gestures. Read on!
Shunya Mudra Meaning, Steps And Benefits With Image:
Meaning of Shunya Mudra:
Here we are talking about an immensely popular and beneficial heaven mudra which is also known as Shunya mudra. There is a story attached as to why this mudra is known as heaven mudra. The practitioner of this mudra is able to hear Anahata sounds. These Anahata sounds are not the usual sounds. This can only be heard by the yogis who are practising meditations for a very long time. Thus, at this stage, you can enjoy a level of tranquillity. This mudra takes the practitioner to another level where he feels he is on some third planet or outside world. Thus, this mudra can be termed as a way of altering eternal bliss.
How to Do Shunya Mudra Or Heaven Mudra:
Shunya Mudra is a yogic hand gesture that is very easy to perform and is associated with tranquillity and peace. Here are the simple steps you can follow to perform Shunya Mudra:
- Sit down in any comfortable posture, such as Siddasana, Padmasana, or Vajrasana.
- Now place your hands on the thighs or knees with your palm pointing upwards.
- Take some deep breaths while keeping your eyes closed. Make sure you are aware of your breathing.
- Now touch the thumb with the middle finger while folding it. And make sure all the other fingers are kept as straight as possible.
- Though it might feel painful initially, you will get comfortable eventually.
- Keep in mind that this Mudra should be done on both hands simultaneously.
Tips to Perform Shunya Mudra:
There are several benefits associated with performing Shunya Mudra. But by following the following tips, you will be able to reap the maximum benefits.
- It is best to avoid performing Shunya Mudra if you feel weak.
- It is also advised not to practice Shunya Mudra right after or before having food.
How Long Do You Hold Shunya Mudra?
It is essential to spread the daily practice of Shunya Mudra throughout the day, though it is very beneficial. You can start with ten minutes two to three times a day initially and then increase the time to 25 minutes at a stretch. To improve concentration, you can chant any mantra.
Best Time to Practice Shunya Mudra?
All the mudras can be performed at any hour of the day because there is no restriction. But the best time to perform Shunya Mudra, regardless of stress and tensions, is in the morning from 4 AM to 6 AM because this is when your mind is in the freshest state.
Benefits of Shunya Mudra:
Shunya Mudra or Aakash Shaamak Mudra is beneficial in physical and spiritual achievements. They are:
- Shunya Mudra helps in treating any ear-related problems caused by sound pollution and loud music by balancing the space element.
- This Mudra helps reduce motion sickness and vertigo by directly stimulating the nerves near the ear.
- Shunya Mudra is also helpful in reducing the tingling sensation or numbness in any part of your body by decreasing the space element within your body.
- The Shunya Mudra also helps cure the abnormal behaviour of the thyroid gland (hypothyroidism) by decreasing the space element and maintaining the body’s hormonal balance.
- The place near the base of the thumb has an acupressure point through which blood enters the heart. Performing Shunya Mudra will improve the performance of the Atrium, relieving you from several heart ailments.
Shunya Mudra is a hand gesture that is highly beneficial for people who have Vata as their dominant dosha, according to Ayurvedic medicine. During these times of constant stress and pressure, there is a need to practise simple hand gestures that provide several benefits. The advantage of performing Shunya Mudra is there are no time restrictions as to when you can achieve it. So, start practising Shunya Mudra and reap the benefits associated with the Mudra. Don’t forget to let us know if you found the article helpful!
Disclaimer: The content presented in this article is based on research and not a replacement for professional advice. Please consult a certified healthcare professional if you are unsure.
1. Which Chakra Does Shunya Mudra affect?
Ans: Shunya Mudra helps redirect the energy flow to the heart chakra through nadis because the base of our thumb has some acupressure points. The finger arrangement of the Shunya Mudra makes it happen.
2. What are the Precautions One Should Take While Performing Shunya Mudra?
Ans: Prevention is better than cure; therefore, follow the following precautions while performing Shuya Mudra to avoid physical or mental stress.
- Avoid using too much pressure on your thumb.
- Avoid performing ShunyaMudra if you are feeling weak.
- There is a reduction in your body’s space element with the excessive practice of this Mudra.
3. How Does Shunya Mudra Work on the Body?
Ans: The Shunya Mudra reduces the element on the body by contacting fire and space elements, thereby stimulating the energy flow in your body. This is how you will be able to treat the imbalance of these elements.