Are you a fan of the outdoors? Then, the chances of sleeping on the floor become high, whether camping or a day well spent outdoors with your family, because carrying a mattress is not always possible. However, doing it daily might seem like a sacrifice of comfort for many because not many sleep on the floor. But sleeping on the floor benefits outweighs the sacrifice.
Furthermore, occasionally changing your sleeping style might be a good idea. We have listed some of the widespread benefits of sleeping on the floor. Read on!
Is sleeping on the floor good for you?
There have been changes in mattresses; it is a relatively recent phenomenon if you look at it closely. Sleeping on the ground or in trees has been a common phenomenon for our ancestors. Compared to most of us in modern societies, people from primitive cultures and living in forests have fewer musculoskeletal issues.
However, sleeping on a mattress also has its positives and negatives. Therefore, whether you want to sleep on a mattress or the floor, choose as per your preference and necessity.
Health benefits of sleeping on the floor:
We have listed some of the widespread benefits of sleeping on the floor and how you can reap them properly.
1. Promotes good sleep:
One of the prominent reasons for insomnia in people is a lousy sleeping surface. You will wake up feeling sleep-deprived and groggy when you keep tossing and turning the night. Though several mattresses made with different material helps you sleep comfortably, sleeping on the floor benefits, making it a popular choice. There might be a little discomfort initially, and you can see the difference once your body adjusts to the changes.
2. Helps relieve back pain:
Sleeping on the floor can be good for back pain because your spine can realign itself to its natural state when you don’t have a soft mattress hugging your body. When sleeping on the floor, you can also experience a greater awareness of your body.
However, sleep on your back and not on your side. This is because sleeping on your side can cause additional pain, forcing the hamstrings and hip flexors to tighten over time. Additionally, place a pillow under your calves or knees to induce a more natural curve to your back.
3. Improves your posture:
Posture plays a vital role in holding our body without causing strain. You can improve your posture by sleeping on the floor because it corrects your posture by forcing your head, neck and back into alignment. Furthermore, sleeping on the foundation contributes to better posture by easing back pain – vice versa.
Side effects of sleeping on the floor:
Though sleeping on the floor has benefits, here is the list of side effects one can anticipate. They are:
- Though many people find sleeping on the floor beneficial for their back pain, some might have increased pain in the back. In addition, sleeping on the floor can cause additional discomfort and stiffness for people without cushioning around their shoulders and hips.
- Sleeping on the bare floor might be okay during summer. However, the same cannot be said for winter because sleeping on the floor might become uncomfortable because of the lowered temperatures.
- From dust mites and dust to mould, your bedroom can be home to many potential allergens that can disrupt sleep quality. Furthermore, you might also expose yourself to more allergens by sleeping on the floor.
Sleeping on the floor while pregnant:
Sleeping on the floor during pregnancy depends on the pregnant lady’s health. Though many women feel comfortable sleeping on the floor, a firm mattress is recommended. In addition, getting up and sitting down while sleeping on the floor can be quite taxing during pregnancy. Finally, keep in mind that the comfort of pregnant women is the primary concern. Therefore it is best to consult a doctor for proper guidance.
See More: Best Sleeping Position for a Pregnant Woman
Best way to sleep on the floor:
Making a shift to sleeping on the floor can be a little uncomfortable, especially if you are doing it for the first time. Though it is worth it, you can make the transition smoother by following these simple steps.
- Being prepared to feel uncomfortable for the first few nights is crucial. This is because your body will take time to adjust to the new sleeping surface and might also ache.
- Choose suitable sleeping surface materials, such as a mat, because sleeping on the floor doesn’t have to mean sleeping on the ground directly. This way, you will be comfortable sleeping on the floor without giving up any benefits.
- Use a pillow to elevate your head, and don’t use a bunch of them, which can cause neck aches.
- Though any sleeping position is good, the correct position depends on what works for you. Before choosing the proper position, experiment with different positions and make sure your spine is aligned correctly. So you aren’t in too much pain.
Sleeping on the floor can be beneficial in unexpected ways, though it might seem primitive and painful. For example, some benefits of sleeping on the floor include reduced back pain, improved posture, etc. However, to reap the most benefits and have a restful, relaxing sleep, make sure to use a mat in addition to the proper posture. Don’t forget to let us know if you found the article helpful!
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is based on pure research and is not a replacement for professional advice. The website is not responsible for the authenticity and accuracy of the information.
1. Are there any disadvantages of sleeping on the floor?
Unless you are medically advised not to sleep on the floor, there are no specific disadvantages because it is just a personal preference. However, it is best to clean the floor to avoid bugs.
2. Is there a chance of getting pneumonia if you sleep on the floor?
One can get a cold or pneumonia if one sleeps on the bare floor. Therefore, to shield yourself from the cold floor, it is best to sleep on a blanket or a mat.
3. Is it okay to sleep on the floor daily?
Yes! Sleeping on the floor can benefit your health daily. Though it might be beneficial, the same cannot be said for everyone. Depending on your preference, you can sleep on the floor or the Mattress.