Naturally, losing weight sounds terrific. With the increasing obesity cases in this generation, there is always a need for a healthy diet plan with a proper exercise routine. But by consuming a supplement like spirulina for weight loss, you can speed up the process of losing those extra pounds (1).
Spirulina is blue-green algae that grow in highly alkaline water and multiplies through photosynthesis. The significant protein and nutrition source of spirulina makes it a perfect addition to any diet that helps you meet your goal weight.
- Will Spirulina Help You to Lose Weight
- Benefits of Spirulina for Weight Loss
- How to Eat Spirulina Powder
- Spirulina Tablets
- Five Spirulina Recipes for Weight Loss
- Other Health Benefits of Spirulina
Read on to know how spirulina helps you lose weight, along with few easy recipes you can try!
Can Spirulina Help in Weight Loss?
Consuming a proper diet plays an essential role in not only losing weight but helps in maintaining it effectively. But many foods available in the market are filled with preservatives that are both unhealthy and add unnecessary fat.
Spirulina is power-packed with essential pigments, vitamins, and a rich source of protein that not only satisfy your hunger but give your body all the necessary nutrients.
Protein is better at satiating your hunger than fat or carbs, making spirulina a perfect weight management option. Spirulina is made out of simple cells that can easily dissolve in water, making the protein present in it take only minutes to get digested. It helps reduce appetite or any craving, making you lose weight effectively (2).
Spirulina Benefits for Weight Loss:
Spirulina is filled with super-dense nutrients that not only help in weight loss but have added benefits.
Your brain triggers an increase in appetite when you consume poor-quality foods. Spirulina increases the nutrients in your body, curbing your appetite, thereby raiding weight loss (3).
2. Low Calories:
Spirulina is said to have 3.5 calories for each gram of protein. This is a few calories you can get from a gram of protein. Without thinking much about caloric consequences, you can include spirulina in your diet to get your daily dose of nutrition.
3. Regulates Blood Sugar Levels:
Healthy weight loss needs a balance of blood sugar levels in your body. The GLA and omega-3 fatty acids help you lose weight by minimizing the binge eating of carbohydrates. It also helps regulate the insulin and blood sugar levels in your body (4).
4. Gives You a Boost of Energy:
The vitamins b1, b2, b3, and b5 present in spirulina transform food into energy, making it a perfect option to prepare an energy-boosting drink, especially after a workout (5).
See Also: How Triphala Can Help You Lose Weight
How to Eat Spirulina Powder:
Spirulina is readily available in the form of a tablet or powder. You can consume it in the following ways:
- You can add it to smoothies.
- And, you can use it in soups and salads.
- Mix it with other ingredients making a perfect energy ball.
- Drink a vegetable or fruit juice after mixing a spoonful of spirulina powder.
Spirulina is available in the form of tablets and can be taken as a dietary supplement. These are readily available online, in a drug store, or in any health food store.
It is safe to use 500 mg tablets three to four times a day for weight loss. But it is always safe to consult your doctor before using spirulina tablets.
Five Spirulina Recipes for Weight Loss:
1. Spirulina Bites:
- One cup of milled seed mix.
- Ten dates (pitted).
- 1/3 cup of almond butter.
- Vanilla extract-1 tbsp.
- 1-2 tbsp of spirulina powder.
- Place the milled seed mix and dates into a food processor and blend it.
- Add the spirulina powder, almond butter, and vanilla extract and grind it until a smooth batter is formed.
- Roll one tbsp of the mixture into a small ball.
- Place the balls in the refrigerator for 2 to three days.
2. Spirulina Smoothie Bowl:
- 1 to 2 cups of unsweetened coconut milk (full fat).
- One cup of frozen mixed organic berries.
- ½ a cup of frozen banana.
- Two tbsp of organic spirulina.
- ½ a handful of kale.
- ½ a handful of spinach.
- Place all the ingredients into a blender.
- Blend all the contents forming a smooth paste.
- Take the mixture into a bowl and add toppings of your choice.
3. Spirulina Lemon Smoothie:
- One tbsp of organic spirulina.
- One cup of nut milk.
- One banana.
- Half a piece of avocado.
- A pinch of cinnamon.
- One tbsp of fresh lemon juice.
- Place all the ingredients into a blender.
- Blend the contents well, forming a smooth paste.
- Pour it into a glass and drink it fresh.
See More: Weight Loss Smoothie Recipes
4. Almond Spirulina Latte:
- ½ tbsp of spirulina.
- One glass of almond milk.
- Sweetener according to your need.
- Add the 1/ tbsp of spirulina powder to a glass of almond milk.
- Mix them thoroughly and add a sweetener according to your choice.
5. Spirulina Lemonade:
- 500 ml of sparkling water.
- 1 to 2 tbsp of organic spirulina.
- One tbsp of rice malt syrup.
- One lemon.
- Take a big jar and pour the fresh lemon juice into it.
- Add the spirulina powder and rice malt syrup and mix them thoroughly.
- Pour the sparkling water into the glass jar and mix them properly.
Other health benefits of spirulina:
Here is a list of some of the other health benefits spirulina other than weight loss offers:
- Spirulina helps fight allergies with the help of vitamins and antioxidants.
- You may find a decrease in blood pressure levels by consuming high amounts of spirulina.
- The vitamin E and beta-carotene present in spirulina make it one of the richest sources of pro-Vitamin A.
- Spirulina helps relieve joint pain since it is a rich source of Gamma-Linolenic Acid, which is also a miracle ingredient.
- It also helps balance the PH levels in your body and is alkaline.
- Spirulina has organic iron, vitamin B 12 in abundance.
If you think losing weight with spirulina is a myth, we hope this article has changed your mind. With the yummy recipes, we provided in this article, using spirulina for weight loss can ease the taste and reap the benefits. Don’t forget to let us know how spirulina has helped your weight loss journey.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is based on research and not a replacement for medical advice. It is always safe to consult your doctor before you include anything in your daily routine. The website is not responsible for the effects it may have on your body.
1. When is the Right Time to Take Spirulina for Weight Loss?
Ans: If you want to take spirulina for weight loss, consuming it about 15 to 20 minutes before lunch on an empty stomach is the best way. Time frame is the key since taking spirulina right after or before lunch may not show any significant difference in weight loss.
2. Are There Any Side Effects of Using Spirulina?
Ans: Spirulina doesn’t cause any significant side effects as it is well-tolerated by many people. But it is always better to consult your doctor before using spirulina to check out the drug interactions with your body.
3. Who Should Avoid Taking Spirulina for Weight Loss?
Ans: Spirulina supplements in the form of tablets or powder are safe. It may cause fatigue in people who have hypothyroidism or are allergic to seafood. Make sure you buy an organic product and don’t forget to check the expiry date before consumption.