Hand gestures or Mudras are an integral part of Yogic practice whose popularity is spreading globally. Surya Mudra is a practical hand gesture for weight loss by increasing the fire element in the body. Sages used yogic posture and hand gestures to balance the five elements in our bodies. We use the Anamika finger while performing the Surya Mudra.
This article has discussed how to perform Surya Mudra and its benefits. Read on!
How to Do Surya Mudra:
Surya Mudra has tremendous benefits with regular practice. Here are the steps you need to follow that will help you perform Surya Mudra efficiently:
- Take a yoga mat and sit on it in any comfortable posture.
- Place your hands on the knees or thighs while the palms face the roof.
- Take some deep breaths while keeping your eyes closed.
- Make sure to be aware of your breathing.
- Now slowly press your ring finger with your thumb while folding it.
- Keep all your other fingers stretched and extended.
- There might be a little discomfort while doing it if you are a beginner. But don’t worry, you will start to feel comfortable with practice.
- Now use your thumb to apply pressure on your ring finger. The fire increases as you increase pressure. But try not to overdo it.
- You will have to perform the procedure on both hands simultaneously.
Tips to Perform Surya Mudra:
We have presented you with some tips to perform Surya Mudra to reap all the benefits associated with the gesture:
- While you perform Surya Mudra, it is necessary to keep your body relaxed for the effectiveness of the gesture.
- To avoid excess heat accumulation, make sure to practice the Surya Mudra in open spaces, especially during summers.
- If you practice this Mudra for a long time, make sure you stay hydrated.
- Surya Mudra might aid in weight loss. Therefore this Mudra should be avoided by underweight people.
How Long Do You Hold Surya Mudra?
Although Surya Mudra is very beneficial, it is essential to spread the daily practice. Initially, start with small durations like ten to twelve mines at a stretch, thrice or four times a day. Then slowly, you can increase the time to about 25 to 35 minutes at a stretch. Finally, you can chant any mantra that improves concentration to get efficient results.
Best Time to Practice Surya Mudra?
Surya Mudra can be performed any day while standing, sitting, walking or even lying down. But if you want the sun’s energy to get absorbed into your body efficiently, performing this Mudra early in the morning is recommended. Therefore, the best time to complete the Surya Mudra is four to six AM for effective results. With regular practice for two months, you can see the best results.
Benefits of Surya Mudra:
We have listed all the benefits associated with the regular practice of Surya Mudra:
1. Metabolism Booster:
Surya Mudra helps maintain your body’s metabolism by increasing the fire elements keeping your body safe from infections and diseases.
2. Promotes Digestive Health:
Digestion issues are the result of the disturbance in the pitta. Practising Surya Mudra helps boost good digestion and alleviate digestive issues like ulcers, gastroparesis, or stomach-related issues by balancing the pitta in our body.
3. Tackles Issues Related to Cold Weather:
Surya Mudra relieves your body from dry skin, painful joints, and sore throat caused by cold weather by increasing the body temperature.
4. Reduces Cholesterol Levels:
Surya Mudra helps reduce the risk of heart attack and might help cure diabetes by eliminating excess cholesterol in the blood vessels.
5. Aids in Weight Loss:
Surya Mudra increases the fire element in the body, which helps eliminate toxins aiding in weight loss.
6. Helps Stimulate Thyroid:
Surya Mudra helps stimulate thyroid function by boosting the metabolic process. It also balances the space element present in the neck, making it an ideal option to stimulate the thyroid.
7. Beneficial for Eyes:
This Mudra is beneficial for eyes similar to Vayu Mudra. With regular practice of Surya Mudra, you can observe effective results for eye issues.
Surya Mudra is one of the best hand gestures that work well for weight loss and efficiently supports the roots of blood-carrying channels in our body. Since you can practice this Mudra anywhere and anytime, perform this hand gesture and reap the benefits. Don’t forget to let us know if you found this article helpful!
Disclaimer: The content presented in this article is based on research and not a replacement for professional advice. Please consult a certified healthcare professional if you are unsure.
1. What are the precautions to take while performing Surya Mudra?
Ans: Here are some things you need to keep in mind while performing Surya Mudra:
- Perform Surya Mudra only for the said duration; otherwise, it might do more harm.
- Don’t forget to keep yourself hydrated while performing this Mudra.
- Make sure your body is completely relaxed, and don’t put too much pressure on your fingers.
2. Can anyone perform Surya Mudra?
Ans: Although Surya Mudra can be very beneficial, there are a few conditions where you must avoid performing this hand gesture. They are:
- Avoid performing Surya Mudra if you have weakness in your body.
- This hand gesture increases the fire element, and therefore people with the Pitta constitution should avoid it.
- Avoid this hand gesture if you have a fever.
3. What is the speciality of Surya Mudra?
Ans: The effective working of our digestive system is because of the fire element in our body. Therefore the speciality of Surya Mudra is to lose weight by increasing the fire element in the body.