Sweet potatoes are everyone’s favorite, not only because they are delicious but also because they are packed with nutrients like phytonutrients, minerals, vitamin A, etc. However, it does have a bad reputation as a fattening vegetable due to its high-calorie content. Fear not, because research has shown that this yummy vegetable actually aids in weight loss. Is sweet potato healthy for weight loss, really? Scroll down to read the entire article and find out for yourself !!
- Is Sweet Potato Good for Weight Loss?
- How Does Sweet Potato Help You Lose Weight?
- Benefits of Sweet Potato
- How to Eat Sweet Potato for Weight Loss?
Is Sweet Potato Good for Weight Loss?:
Sweet potatoes are generally considered as a high-calorie food and a starchy vegetable. But that is not true. Sweet potatoes are an incredibly healthy way to satisfy your sugar cravings, as they have a low glycemic index in spite of being sweet. They are also low in calories; one sweet potato contains only 113 calories. They are packed with fiber and other nutrients and keep hunger pangs at bay. Thus sweet potatoes are a healthy alternative to potatoes and boost your weight loss too.
How Does Sweet Potato Help You Lose Weight?:
1. High in Dietary Fiber:
Sweet potatoes are loaded with fiber, which absorbs water in the stomach and tends to make you full and eat less consequently, helping people achieve their fitness goals quickly.
See More: Fiber Rich Foods You Should Eat
2. Appetite Suppressor:
They are packed with nutrients and fiber, which keeps you satiated for longer hours, thereby reducing unhealthy cravings between meals.
3. Low Glycemic Index:
Though sweet to taste, sweet potatoes have a low glycemic index, which maintains the sugar levels in the body and does not cause a sugar spike.
4. High Water Content:
The high water content in sweet potatoes aids in weight loss as the loss of water from the body slows down metabolism and leads to weight gain. Sweet potato re-hydrates the cells in the body and boosts the metabolism leading to weight loss.
5. Energy-rich Good Carbohydrates:
Carbohydrates provide the body with enough energy to stay fit and healthy. Sweet potatoes offer enough good carbs to the body. A study has shown that sweet potato intake improves BMI reduction, thus reinforcing the reason to go on a sweet potato diet. (1)
6. Rich in Antioxidants:
Sweet potatoes are rich in antioxidants known to fight inflammation, the leading cause of several diseases.
Benefits of sweet potato :
- Sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin-A and hence can prevent vitamin A deficiency, which builds immunity and resistance to infections.
- Sweet potatoes are diabetic-friendly and can help manage sugar levels efficiently and also lower insulin resistance.
- Also, Sweet potatoes are rich in magnesium, and thus elevate the mood and prevent depression.
- Sweet potatoes contain choline, which aids in anti-inflammatory activity in the body.
- Purple sweet potato is rich in anthocyanins, which are known to prevent certain types of cancer.
- Sweet potatoes have certain chemicals that can reduce the incidence of ulcers in the stomach.
- They minimize the risk of cardiovascular diseases due to its high antioxidant content.
- They help in regulating blood pressure on regular consumption as they are rich in potassium and sodium.
- Vitamin A is essential for reproductive performance in young women. Hence, sweet potato boosts fertility.
- Being rich in vitamin A, sweet potatoes also are excellent for good vision.
See More: Top Foods Rich in Beta Carotene
How to Eat Sweet Potato for Weight Loss?
Sweet potato can be eaten boiled or baked, roasted, or steamed. It can be added to salads, chaat, rice, etc. and can be used in several recipes. Enlisted below are a few of the ways in which sweet potato can be incorporated into your diet for weight loss:
1. Boiled Sweet Potato:
You can boil sweet potatoes and eat them directly to get maximum benefits.
2. Salads :
You can add it to healthy salads with a variety of fruits and vegetables to increase the nutritional value of sweet potatoes.
Recipe for Sweet Potato Salad:
- Two boiled sweet potatoes,
- 1 onion,
- One tomato,
- 1 green chili,
- coriander to garnish,
- chat masala as required
How to Prepare:
- Finely chop all the vegetables.
- Peel the sweet potato and dice it into cubes.
- Mix all of them in a bowl together and season with salt and chaat masala.
- Garnish with coriander, and your sweet potato chaat is ready, low in calories, and high in taste !!
3. Recipe for Sweet Potato Rice:
- 1 cup of cooked rice,
- 2-3 cloves of garlic,
- One onion,
- One boiled sweet potato,
- chilli powder and salt,
- 1 tsp olive oil,
- ½ inch piece of ginger
How to Prepare:
- Heat the olive oil in a pan.
- Finely chop the onion, garlic, and ginger Peel and dice the sweet potato.
- Fry the vegetables first in the pan and then add the cooked rice.
- Season with chilli powder and salt, and it is ready to be devoured !!
Recipes with sweet potatoes are incredibly easy and can be easily incorporated into one’s diet to bring about a healthy weight loss. However, consuming any eatable in excess will only lead to weight gain. Therefore, consume sweet potatoes for weight loss but in addition to calorie restriction and exercise. Please leave your valuable feedback regarding sweet potato for weight loss in the comments below.
See More: Healthy Foods to Eat for Breakfast
Disclaimer: The content regarding sweet potato for weight loss written here is purely for informational purposes only. Please do not consider it as professional medical advice and consult your physician before using sweet potatoes for weight loss in your diet.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Is Sweet Potato Better Than Potato for Weight loss?
Answer: Yes, sweet potatoes are full of fiber and nutrients and it is a healthy alternative as it has a lower glycemic index than potatoes.
2. Can We Eat Sweet Potatoes Every Day?
Answer: Yes, eating sweet potatoes every day can aid in weight loss, but when consumed in moderation and in addition to other foods.
3. Does Eating Sweet Potato Increase or Decrease Weight?
Answer: Sweet potatoes have been proven to aid in weight loss, contrary to popular belief, due to its high fiber and water content, and ability to keep hunger pangs at bay.