Hair care is as important as skin and body care. This is especially valid for those females who get their hair treated or styled in some way. Among the many common types of hair, there is permed hair that needs proper attention and care for maintenance. One needs to follow a list of tips and suggestions where permed hair is concerned. This guide is adaptable to hair perms for short hair too. It has some of the best and the most effective tips for permed hair by experts. Follow them on a routine basis to get desired outcomes.
Types of Permed Hair:
Before you plan to get your hair permed, it is advised to understand the different types of perms and chose the one that best suits you:
- Gentle waves: Creates a soft and natural-looking wavy hair
- Partial Perm: Only the ends are permed for natural curly locks and suits long hair
- Spot Perm: It focuses on a particular section of hair like the crown, midsection or the locks. It is mainly used for lifting up the hair and giving it a nice bounce.
- Spiral Curls: Looking for a pixie-like curls? Opt for Spiral Curls can give you those bouncy, tight curls that look like springs.
- Pin Curls: This perm is the best for people who love the retro look. Pin curls are created using pins and the size of the wave can be adjusted the way you want.
- Root Perm: Great for people with short and thin hair to add more volume and give it a bounce.
Simple Tips for Permed Hair:
Here is a list of tips for perm hair care.
The Shampoo Time:
Once the perming has been done successfully, no matter what type of perming you choose, the shampoo should be used only after 1-2 days. This is solely because the hair has undergone treatment and is therefore fragile. Hence one needs to old off from washing their hair for at least 2 days.
Nowadays, there are specialized shampoos available in the market for permed hair. The gentle and natural ingredients in these products are perfect for your hair right now. Other normal shampoos are full of chemicals and harsh on the hair and should be avoided.
Do Not Use Heat:
Heat is a no-no when it comes to permed hair. Do not use blow driers to dry the hair. Instead, use the natural way and air dry them.
Touch Ups Only When Required:
The sections that are unruly are the ones where you should get the touch-ups and only when needed. Full perm should not be done each time. It uses a lot of chemicals and should be spared as much as possible. Regular perms will only permanently damage the hair.
See More: Beauty Tips For Hair
Scrunch the Hair:
For the creation of soft waves and new styles, the best you can do to permed hair is to scrunch them. This beauty basic is something that is highly recommended.
Conditioning is Important:
Permed hair care should definitely include hair conditioning. Break the stereotype that using a conditioner will ruin the curls. Try and use a specialized conditioner that is made for the purpose of keeping the curls in the right state. There are various conditioners available in the market that is created for chemically treated hair.
Do Not Comb:
The hair should not be combed for at least 24 hours after getting the treatment done. Fingers can be used instead to detangle the hair during this time. A wide-toothed comb is also a good example here.
Do Not Tie:
Making ponytails and buns is a strict no at least for 24 hours after the perm has been done. If you leave it open for the first 1-2 days after the treatment it will be ensured that there is no deformation in the hair. The curls will maintain proper shape and softness as well.
Trimming is Required:
Get a trimming done in a period of 4-5 weeks. This should be followed on a routine basis. Along with maintaining the health of the hair, this will ensure that the curls spring up and give you a great bounce that you are going to love.
See More: Hair Care Tips For Women
If you love swimming, then swimming caps are a must. Permed hair needs to stay away for chlorinated water and opting for a good swimming cap is the best way to protect your locks and enjoy a great time in the water.
Avoid Towel Rub:
Towel Rubbing hair can dry out the hair and make it frizzy. It is advised to use a cotton t-shirt to soak up the excess water and aid in better drying of hair.
How to Perm your Naturally Straight Hair at Home:
Looking for a salon-free away to perm your naturally straight hair? This tried and tested process is great for giving you those beautiful ringlets you always dreamt of, minus the expensive treatments.
Things You Need:
- Good Quality Shampoo and Conditioner
- Curling Putty or Scrunch Cream
Start with washing your hair with a shampoo and conditioning it with a creamy conditioner. Wet hair is the best for creating waves that last long. Divide your hair into sections and scrunch your hair by applying curling putty. Set your blower to high heat and attach the diffuser. Place your hair as close as possible to the diffuser and blow dry. Voila! You are ready to flaunt those gorgeous waves.
How to Choose Perm Haircare Products:
Permed hair needs a thorough care for your waves to last long. It is important to understand that your hair is not natural anymore and is set with chemicals. So, before opting for a hair care product, one needs to be very careful to avoid damages.
- Avoid hair care products with alcohol and silicones. Alcohol can severely dehydrate your hair and make it frizzy and dry, while silicones can make it greasy and weigh your hair down.
- Go for moisture enhancing shampoos and conditioner to retain the softness of your curls.
- Try deep cleansing hair products to gently remove excess product buildup on the scalp, that can result in hair loss.
- Look for protein rich masks to nourish your hair and make sure you use it atleast once a well for shiny, glossy locks
Top 5 Hair Care Products for Permed Hair:
Here are the top five best hair care products available in the market to take care of your luscious curls:
- OGX Moroccan Curling Perfection Defining Cream
- Cantu Shea Butter Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream
- BBLUNT High Definition Curl, Curl Defining Leave-in Cream
- Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Curl Enhancing smoothie
- Kinky-Curly Knot Today Leave in Conditioner/Detangler
These are some of the most important tips that need to be kept handy when it comes to permed hair. One has to follow is diligently for best results. Also, make sure to take proper care once done, with a lot of nourishing enhancers for your hair that are readily available in the market. Choose always the best for your hair!