While going through history, gemstones have played a vital role for rituals and myths also. Different stones have their own unique colour and meaning. They have their own power, birthplace and importance in one’s life. Several gemstones are discovered in history, while some have been recently introduced to the world by archaeologists.
Types of Gemstones list in English:
Let’s have a glance at the different types of gemstones available in the market.
1. Alexandrite or June Birth Gemstone:
This is also known as a magical gemstone as it changes its colours as per the time it is seen. In the day time, its colour is blue with a mossy green effect. While at night, it becomes red in the lamplight with a raspberry colour touch. It was discovered in Iraq Mountain in the year 1930 and is also available in Brazil, Sri Lanka and East Africa.
- Importance: It strengthens intuition and imagination. Also helps in making you creative.
2. Amethyst or February Gem Stone:
A widely available and beautiful coloured stone can be obtained in several shapes. The wonderful colour of the gem us so attractive that it suits both in gold and silver. A really amazing stone to have in your wardrobe is the February stone. Gemstone Jewellery with this stone gives a stunning look to your personality.
- Importance: TThent belief of the Greek and Roman community decreases the power of Bacchus and helps the wearer think n a better way for solutions.
3. Aquamarine / March Birthstone:
The name itself informs that the stone’s colour is sea blue. The stone is very beneficial for the people who are born in March. It is also a gem which smoothies the relation between two and hence it is a perfect gift for the newly wedded couples.
- Importance: This lovely gem symbolizes hope, health, wealth and fidelity. The colour of the gem also symbolizes the life after death, i.e. the eternal.
4. Citrine Gem Stone:
A lemon yellow to orange-brown colour stone is also available in various attractive shapes. It is also easily available with affordable price. The brightness of the stone gives a glance of the sun, and hence it is believed to be a gift of it. The colour makes it dashing when studded in gold jewellery.
- Importance: It is believed that the citrine stone was carried to be protected from the venom of snakes and evil. It also symbolizes success and prosperity.
5. Diamond or April Birthstone:
Among the several types of gems, diamonds are the hardest ones. Admired around the world, they are highly attractive to both men and women studded in gold, silver or platinum. They are available in many sizes and colours; they are said to be formed when the lightning struck the rocks and turned hard in the depths of the earth.
- Importance: It is the most admired gift for couples as it symbolizes eternal love and desire.
6. Emerald or May Birth Stone:
Emerald is one of the rarest found gemstones. The green colour of the gem stone is dark green with a bluish hue. They always contain an intuition along with it which means birthmark. It is also believed that the ancient mummies were made with an emerald beside their neck which means eternal youth.
- Importance: The emerald is a spring and Venus stone. This symbolizes love, rebirth and fertility.
7. Shiny Lemon Yellow Stone:
Inspired by the nature, these diamonds are also known as the fancy colour diamond. They are rare and available in cool colours like bright yellow, light pink, sky blue, orange, brown, cognac etc. They give a fancy look over silver jewellery with designer wears.
- Importance: The stone symbolizes fire, brilliance, power and strength.
8. Garnet or January Birthstone:
This unique stone in the list of gemstones is available in various colours and hence is also called a rainbow gemstone. It is available in Russia, Africa, Sri Lanka, Namibia, and Rhododendrons with colours like red, green, orange, pink, and purple. For this reason, it is widely used as a gifting stone.
- Importance: It symbolizes protection as it helps to keep away nightmares and accidents while travelling.
The jade gemstone is said to be a royal stone as it was studded in the crowns of the big emperors in the ancient age. The gemstone Jewellery with a jade is also well known in community, such as the Darbar and the Maharajas in the current time. It is a smooth and shimmer stone also available in pink, lavender and white colour.
- Importance: The jade is said to be a symbol of protection, fertility and prosperity.
10. Lapis Lazuli Stone:
The word lapis lazuli itself describes the stone colour. It means blue stone. This stone is also known as a royal stone as it was treasured in the ancient days by the kings and Queens. Available In two shades, sky blue and ocean blue, they attract you towards it in one look.
- Importance: The gem is important to keep your limbs healthy and protect the soul from fear and envy.
See More: Precious Stones
11. Moon Stone Gemstone:
A crystal stone in the gemstones list is believed to be formed from the cold breeze from the moon. Among various colours, the moon stone with blue sheen colour is the perfect stone with utmost clarity. It is easily available in India and Madagascar.
- Importance: According to the colour, it symbolizes peace, wealth and fidelity.
12. Morganite Gemstone:
A stone that is the favorite of nearly all the women on earth is the morganatic. It is available in colours like pink and peach, which gives coolness to your look. As it is suitable for both silver and gold, it is the dominating stone of the jewellery industry.
- Importance: The stone, due to its soothing effect, symbolizes divinity, love, prosperity and charm.
13. Onyx Gemstone:
Ever thought wearing a black stone! Here you go with a black but fashionable gemstone onyx. It is never out of trend and hence high in demand. It gives a classy look to the wearer. Also available in colours like brown, red and white but is highly preferred in black.
- Importance: The onyx is the protector stone from the evil and death mares to the wearer.
Also known as the Queen of gems, opal is the most beautiful gem among different gemstones. It is available is rainbow shades that is having colours blue and green together, red and yellow flashes etc. With any shade, it gives a realistic look. The black opal, which is rare is also a delicate stone that is most preferred.
- Importance: A Birthstone for October is the best wedding gift and symbolizes hope, innocence, purity, faithfulness, loyalty and confidence.
15. Paraiba Tourmaline:
Among the various gemstones list, Paraiba Tourmaline is the most precious and costly gemstone. The oceans of Paraiba are the only place you can find these stones at. It gives a combination of sea blue and green colours.
- Importance: The stone symbolizes beauty, stability, spirituality, creativity and divine love.
See More: Rare Gemstone Jewelry
16. Pearl or June Birthstone:
It is believed that a pearl is the tear of Gods. It is the only gemstone that is available in a living creature, the sea shells. It is the most adorable and expensive gemstone. The original pearls are hard to obtain, and hence, artificial pearls are available in various colours. They give a classic look to gemstone Jewellery.
- Importance: Just as the pearl is, it symbolizes purity, spirituality, wisdom, integrity, feminine etc.
17. Peridot or August Birthstone:
Peridot is one among few gemstones that are available in a single colour, lime green. It is available from Pakistan, China, Myanmar and Arizona. Available in various shapes, it takes your jewellery collection to a new level. It is also affordable and easily available.
- Importance: It is believed that the wearer of this gem gets the power of healing and gets protected against nightmares.
18. Rubellite Stone:
The other name given to this amazing stone is red Tourmaline. The colour of the stone is a combination of pink and red ruby. The stone shines similarly in both day light and lamplight. It is believed that it stimulates the heart chakra and the root chakra of the human being as it is related to the earth and the heart.
- Importance: The stone symbolizes perfection, passion, life and energy. It also emotionally brings calmness and balance to the life of the wearer.
19. Ruby/July Birthstone:
The king of gems, ruby has always been the favorite to the kings and Queens in the ancient period. The main attraction of this gemstone is the variety of colours it carries. Highly available in the valleys of Burma, Myanmar and Tanzania, it is highly used for making gemstone Jewellery with different shapes.
- Importance: The colour of the ruby itself shows that it symbolizes passion, love, divinity, courage and emotions. When gifted, it brings good luck and fortune to the receiver.
20. Sapphire or September Birthstone:
The word sapphire indicates the colour of the stone, violet-blue. They are available at many places around the world, but the costly ones are found in Myanmar, Kashmir and Sri Lanka. They are available in various colours and shapes and are one of the few costly gems. They give an elegant look when studded in jewellery designs.
- Importance: The sapphire represents honesty, purity, trust and loyalty. Thus it can be the best gift on engagement to your love.
See More: Natural Stones For Jewelry
21. Spinel/August Birth stone:
The spinels have a similar colour to that of the ruby, and hence are also known as the daughter of the ruby. Rarely available, they are also found in different colours and textures. When Studded In Jewellery, they give a royal look to the wearer.
- Importance: It is a strong belief that the wearer of the spinel is protected from harm, sadness and can difference in relations.
22. Tanzanite or December Birthstone:
This is the only stone in the gemstones list, available in blue velvety colour with purple shades. It is also available at only one place that is Mount Kilimanjaro in Kenya. The stone is available in various shapes and colours, which make it favourable for jewellery designing.
- Importance: The magical stone is very effective for mental stability. It provides post energy to fight against the negative. It also helps you to discover yourself.
23. Topaz or November Birthstone:
A gemstone that is available in a variety of cool colours is topaz. The Imperial Topaz, which comes in orange and pink colour combination is the highest expensive topaz gemstone. The stone looks amazing giving a perfection look to the jewellery made with gold and silver.
- Importance: The ancient people believed that the topaz has the ability to heal and protect. It is a magical stone as once you look at it; you get enchanted to it.
24. Turquoise/ December Birthstone:
The turquoise is said to be the robin’s egg. It is crystal clear, transparent and available in cool and calm colours. They are also known as a matrix as they give a design similar to the spider Web. It is the oldest stone that the foremost kings and Queens wore on the crowns and dresses.
- Importance: The blue turquoise is said to have the power to heal and bring prosperity, good luck, and wealth to the wearer and protect him from evil eyes.
25. Zircon/ December Birthstone:
The stone is available in colours like sea blue, green, yellow, orange etc. The stone is rare and also affordable, so it is highly popular in gemstone jewellery. It is the oldest jewel on the earth and found mostly in the crust. The people body wears the blue zircon in December.
- Importance: It helps the owner to be apart for nightmares and sleep silently. It also brings prosperity, honor, self-respect, wisdom and increases the feeling to love you.
It is believed that when you wear the proper gemstone which is advisable to you, you get benefitted from your several problems of life. There are also gemstones like Larimer, variscite, jasper, eoliths etc., which are also helpful to some extent in your life. So find your perfect gemstone and smoothen your life.