The formation of our body and mind has five fundamental elements, out of which Vayu or Air is one. The balance of all these elements leads to a positively vibrated and healthy life, according to Ayurveda. You can help balance the ups and downs of the air element in your body by practising Vayu Mudra. It is easy to practice and can be done anywhere at home.
Rheumatic arthritis, sciatica, etc., and various psychological disorders are some types of pain that can be managed with the help of air elements in our body. Practising Vayu Mudra helps alleviate the problems concerned with the imbalance of the Air element. Read on!
What is Vayu Mudra?
Vayu mudra meaning comes from ancient Sanskrit language where Vayu means Air and Mudra means gesture. So the Vata dosha is associated with the air element in your body, According to Ayurveda.
The index finger represents the air element, while the thumb is the seat for the fire element. Therefore fire overpowers the air elements by its suppression as the index finger is pressed under the thumb finger.
According to Ayurveda, our body consists of 49 Vayus, out of which five are subsidiary, and five are vital. For example, Vayu Mudra balances the air element in the body by guiding the flow of prana.
However, for better results, practice Vayu Mudra with pranayama or meditation. It helps maintain the air influx and reflux by creating a balance within the Nadis.
Read: Abhaya Mudta: Mudras of the Great Buddha
How to Do Vayu Mudra:
Practicing Vayu mudra’s primary focus remains on the index and thumb finger. However, it includes the movement of almost all the fingers. Here are the simple steps you must follow to perform Vayu Mudra efficiently:
- Choose Sukhasana, Vajrasana, Padmasana to sit in a comfortable sitting posture.
- Before performing Vayu Mudra, make sure to keep your mind relaxed and stay calm.
- Keep your eyes closed and take deep breaths focusing on your breathing.
- Breathing helps stimulate the Prana flow across the body, and closing your eyes increases concentration with further practice.
- Place your hands over your thighs while your palms are facing the sky.
- Gently fold your index finger to touch the thumb’s base.
- Now press the index finger with the thumb by applying slight pressure.
- Initially, you might feel the pressure uncomfortable, but you will find it easier with practice.
- Keep all your other fingers as straight as possible.
- Chant OM mantra while breathing calmly while keeping your hand steady.
How Long Do You Hold Vayu Mudra?
Start practicing Vayu Mudra for about ten minutes per day initially. But you can extend the time up to 45 minutes per day gradually.
You may either stretch for 45 minutes or 15 minutes each in three instalments. However, the gesture needs to be practiced for at least two months to get better results for Vayu Mudra.
Best Time to Practice Vayu Mudra?
Although there is no strict rule in performing Vayu Mudra, the preferable time is early in the morning on an empty stomach.
If you are practicing during any other time of the day, make sure you take a gap of at least 45 minutes after you consume food.
Read: Primordial Mudra
Benefits of Vayu Mudra:
Here is the list of some of the benefits of practicing Vayu Mudra regularly:
1. Vayu Mudra for Gas:
Vayu Mudra helps regulate or balance the air element in the body, thereby helping tackle excess gas, flatulence, bloating, or other gastric issues. In addition, you will be able to stimulate the brain area concerned with the Vagus nerve, which controls and regulates the Vata doshas.
It also aids in better digestion by eliminating gas from the intestines and stomach.
2. Vayu Mudra for Acidity:
You will be able to eliminate toxins and harmful chemicals from the body along with Vayu while you practice Vayu Mudra. In addition, by eliminating wastes from your body effectively, acidity is also reduced significantly.
3. Vayu Mudra for Back Pain:
You will be able to reduce pain in the neck, shoulders, arms, and back by practicing Vayu Mudra in combination with Surya Namaskar yoga poses.
4. Vayu Mudra for Weight Loss:
Your body produces a hormone called cortisol when your body senses stress. Overeating and weight gain are the results of elevated levels of this hormone. Vayu Mudra helps regulate the production of cortisol, thereby an effective solution for weight loss by reducing our stress levels.
5. Vayu Mudra for Arthritis:
Practicing Vayu Mudra alleviates pain and inflammation, thereby preventing diseases like osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.
Vayu Mudra helps improve flexibility and range of motion by reducing joint pain, especially in elders.
It helps strengthen your muscles and joints, builds immunity by improving blood circulation.
6. Vayu Mudra for Anxiety:
Vayu Mudra helps in reducing anxiety and stress when coupled with meditation and pranayama. It also reduces daytime fatigue and exhaustion by keeping you calm and improving your sleep patterns.
7. Vayu Mudra for Hair Growth:
Vayu Mudra regulates or balances the air elements in the body, which helps promote hair growth by strengthening the roots of your hair.
Read: Benefits and Meaning of the Yoni Mudra
Side Effects of Vayu Mudra:
There are several beneficial effects of practicing Vayu Mudra regularly, but there are no specific side effects. It is best to consult an expert in case you experience any unwanted or unnatural side effects.
Vayu Mudra is an excellent hand yoga mudra that effectively deals with gastric issues in your body. The Mudra is pretty easy to get and gives you effective results. We hope the information provided in this article will help you navigate Vayu mudra and practice it. Don’t forget to let us know if you found this article helpful!
Disclaimer: The information we have provided in this article is based on pure research and not a replacement for professional advice. If you are unsure, consult a professional for guidance. The website is not responsible for the authenticity or accuracy of the information.
1. What are the precautions to take while performing Vayu mudra?
Ans: Here are some simple precautions to take while performing Vayu Mudra for maximum efficiency. They are:
- While doing Vayu Mudra, avoid wearing tight clothes.
- Perform this Mudra in airy and open spaces.
- Maintain the distance from electronic gadgets.
- Make sure not to go overboard with pressure.
- Sit straight.
2. Can anyone practice Vayu Mudra?
Ans: Vayu mudra is no exception when it comes to safety, similar to other Mudras. But if you feel inconvenient while performing this Mudra, stop doing it immediately.
3. Who are the people that should avoid Vayu Mudra?
Vayu Mudra might be ineffective during certain conditions, and people with the following conditions should avoid performing this Mudra:
- If you have flu, cold, or fever.
- If your shoulders, arms, elbows, wrist, fingers are injured.
- If you are under stress.
- If you have hypertension or cardiac issues.
- If you are exhausted or sleep-deprived.