Swelling of the breast tissue in boys or men is what is meant by gynecomastia. When the hormone level such as testosterone and estrogen fluctuate, causing an imbalance in the body, you may experience gynecomastia. The sad part is, it can affect the breasts unevenly sometimes, or you could also see this on both your breasts. However, this is a common phenomenon for the boys who are hitting puberty and a result of normal hormonal changes among the older men.
Gynecomastia is not a serious condition though. But typically, men and boys are also seen to complain of pain and swellings in the breast that make them feel uncomfortable. On the other hand, it could also be downright embarrassing to probably discuss with any other member of the family.
Causes of Gynecomastia:
Gynecomastia can affect men at all their stages, starting from birth.
- Infants: As babies, many men are naturally born with enlarged breasts because of the estrogen levels of the mother. However, the swollen tissue that comes with it is seen to go away in a week or two.
- Puberty: The next stage is having a breast enlargement during your puberty. The breast enlargement during this period is however common and natural. The swollen tissue will go away within six months or sometimes within two years naturally, without having to undergo any treatment.
- In Men: You will see the growth of breast in men between the age of 50 to 69 and the growth is seen to touch peaks during this period.
So, how you can you be sure that this is a condition of gynecomastia? Before you start to worry, here are symptoms you could check for.
- The enlargement of the glandular tissue usually occurs in both or either of the breasts. Sometimes it can be unilateral too. This breast growth tends to be uneven or uniform with respect to the nipple. You may feel the area to be rubbery.
- You may start to experience pain in the breast when touched.
- In rare cases, you will find the swelling to be extremely painful and the area will be hot. The swelling will look red in colour and the individual may also have fever. This is a condition known as breast abscess.
- In some cases, you may also see a nipple discharge from either of the breast.
Remember to see a doctor if you have a nipple discharge, a tender breast and pain in the area. Things might be severe in such cases.
Types of Gynecomastia in Men:
Gynecomastia also comes in several grades, each varying in severity.
- Grade 1: This stage is a mild enlargement of the breast, mostly centered behind the areola.
- Grade 2: during this stage, you will see the breast growth slowly spreading even beyond the areola to the edges that connect to the chest wall.
- Grade 3: The grade 3 stage is a stage where the breast growth spreads beyond areola one that has clear and defined edges with redundant skin.
- Grade 4: In the last stage, you will see the breast growth with redundant skin and your breasts turning feminine.
Home Remedies To Cure Gynecomastia in Teenage Males:
Well, here are some home remedies that you can try in order to get rid of gynecomastia.
Go for it! We are all in awe of the many wonders turmeric can do. It has the ability to restore the testosterone in men and increase it. Thus, when your level of testosterone in the body overtakes the level of estrogen, the enlarged will vanish on its own. Here is how you can use turmeric for your benefit.
- Boil one cup of water and to it add a spoon or two of turmeric powder.
- Let it boil well and drink it luke warm every day before going to bed.
Repeat this until you see effective results.
2. Flax seed:
These tiny seeds are rich in omega 3 and contain lignans, which is known to handle the activities of estrogen by its anti-estrogenic properties. Here is how to use them.
- Grind some amount of flax seeds in a coffee grinder.
- Add a spoon of this flax seed powder into warm water and drink it.
Do this daily until you see results. You can also add ground flax seed to your salad or juice to make it healthier.
3. Fish oil:
the next best way to get rid of gynecomastia is to take fish oil that is rich in omega 3. They are known to capable of increasing the production of testosterone hormone.
- Take fish oil supplements every day once.
- You can also add more fish to your diet. Salmon, Mackerel and Tuna are some of fishes that you can add to your food choice.
Dandelion herb can effectively remove harmful toxins, excess water and also the estrogen from your body. We’ll tell you how you can use it.
- Boil one cup of water. Switch off the flame when it roll boils and add one teaspoon of dried dandelion herb.
- Let the mix seep for about 10 minutes. Keep it covered.
- Strain the mixture and drink the Dandelion tea.
Do this 2 to 3 times a day until you start seeing effective results.
Deficiency of zinc in your body can also lead to lower testosterone levels. Consider intake of zinc rich foods to balance the hormone levels in your body.
- Take a full fortified cereal breakfast. Munch on to cashews and raisins in the day time when you feel hungry.
- Try to include oysters and lobster in your diet. As for the vegetarians, take a lot of chickpea in your diet.
These natural home remedies are and effective way to bring down your estrogen level and increase the testosterone level in your body. Make sure to include as many possible of these in your diet for best results.
Exercises To Reduce Gynecomastia in Adults:
There are also a couple of serious exercises you can try.
1. Cable Crossover:
They are known to help shed the extra flab around your chest. Here is how to do it.
- Start by attaching the handles to the cables of the pulley station.
- Now, with your extended arms maintained at shoulder height, bring your elbows to bend in the forward position and keep your feet shoulder width apart.
- Next, slowly bring both your hands holding the handles together and cross them in front of you.
- Go back to the start position and repeat again.
Perform 3 sets of this exercise with 12 repetitions. Doing this daily will surely help in reducing breast size.
2. Bench Press:
Here is how to do it the right way.
- Start by lying on your back. Your back should be in full contact against the bench.
- Now, with the help of a dumbbells, press the weight straight up, such way that it is directly above you. All the while, make sure that your back is still in touch with the bench.
- Focus on controlled deep breathing as you perform the exercise.
Do 3 sets of this exercise with 8 to 12 repetitions for over two to three months and you can then see the results.
3. Dumbbell Pullover:
Here is another strenuous exercise for you to practice daily. It opens and stretches the chest and the ribcage, thus promoting a large and flat chest. Your chest also becomes wide on the process.
- Lie on your back on a bench and hold a medium weight dumbbell. You can also place a weight plate above your chest keeping your elbows slightly bent.
- Slowly, lower the dumbbell behind your head and let it drop as far as possible and let your arms pull back too.
Do this repetition slowly and feel the stretch. Perform about 3 sets that has 10-12 repetitions in each.
4. Incline Bench Press:
Incline bench press is another effective one for you to try.
- Start by placing an incline bench under the bar pf the machine and sit comfortably.
- Now, grab the barbell with your hands, keeping it wider than shoulder width.
- Bring the bar down to your chest and push the bar straight up. Pause for a minute and go back to the normal start position.
Repeat 3 sets of 10-12 repetitions of this exercise every day.
5. Seated Chest Press:
Here is a last one to do.
- Lie on you back, against the back of the machine in the flat position.
- Now, slowly push the weights straight in front of you, in a horizontal pattern and motion.
- Now return to the start position with your weights.
Practice a slow and steady movement. Control your breathing when doing the exercise. Do three sets of the exercise, 12 in each.
Well, there really is no need to be embarrassed about a big male breast. This is natural and common and is seen to occur in many stages of a men’s life. However, if you think it is going out of proportion, you could try the exercises and home remedies from a range we have listed out for you. Get started today!