Yoga has been one of the most influential forces in Hinduism and Buddhist traditions. Through several studies formed across centuries, the ‘Yogis’ cultivated the practice of Mudras. Mudras are simple hand gestures that enliven the flow of energy through your body. Yoga Mudras for weight loss are an effective way of shedding those unwanted kilos along with initiating internal harmony.
Mudras are often used in classical dance forms to project thoughts and emotions. Similarly, Yoga Mudras have been known to provide healing powers for physiological and emotional ailments. Mudra Therapy for weight loss is beneficial in a lot of ways. It entails a specific lifestyle change that occurs automatically over time.
Yoga is traditionally seen as a practice inclusive of asanas and breathing exercises. But the practice of Yoga has evolved through the years, and several branches of Yoga follow different principles. The method of Yoga Mudras or Mudras for weight loss follows principles of Ayurveda. The body is made up of five elements; ‘Jal’ (Water), ‘Prithvi’ (Earth), ‘Akash’ ( Space), ‘Vayu’ (Air), ‘Agni’ (Fire). When there is an imbalance in these elements, the body becomes vulnerable to sickness. Yoga Mudras help in restoring the balance between these elements.
To shed those calories, one would turn to Mudra Asanas for weight loss. But it is not advisable to rely only on these quick weight loss Mudras. One must take these necessary steps too:
- Following a proper, balanced diet.
- Along with practising finger Mudras for weight loss, one must also ensure regular exercise for further benefits.
- Avoiding sugary drinks.
- Utilizing the morning sun for energy refills and adding more steps to the day.
- Buy local, organic produce.
- Be mindful of the quantities.
- Learn Yoga and follow its discipline.
- Practice ‘Pranayama’ or breathing exercises that focus on the stomach.
- Drink copious amounts of water.
- Understand the significance of the five elements in our body.
Adopting these habits to your lifestyle makes a huge difference while also practising Mudra Healing for weight loss.
Best Yoga Hasta Mudras for Weight Loss:
Yoga Mudras are beneficial in healing chronic diseases as well as reducing nervousness and stress. The full spectrum of healing also includes the ideas of fitness, strength, and overall health. The Best Mudras for weight loss are as follows:
1. Surya (Agni) Mudra for Weight Loss:
Surya Mudra also known as Agni Mudra, represents fire and performing the Surya Mudra increases the fire temperament in the body. Mudras form connections through the fingers and activate the affected areas with a generous flow of energy.
Ayurveda suggests that the significant obstruction in losing weight is an imbalance in the digestive system. The fire element in Surya Mudra helps improve digestion and metabolism, eventually resulting in fat loss.
How to Perform:
Surya Mudra is a simple gesture which involves the thumb and the ring finger.
- Sit in a comfortable position keeping the back straight.
- Bend the ring finger towards the palm. Hold the tip of this finger with your thumb.
- Keep your palms facing upwards on the knees or thighs in a relaxed position.
- Perform for 45 minutes during the day, with repetitions of 15 minutes each.
- Best when practiced in the early hours of the day.
Surya Mudra benefits for weight loss are immense and must be adopted in your daily exercise routine. With regular practice, results are seen that are not limited to weight loss but also towards mental health.
Read: How to Do Surya Mudra and What are Its Benefits?
2. Linga Mudra for Weight Loss:
Linga Mudra, also known as Lord Shiva’s Mudra, is an excellent way of channelizing your internal conflictions. Using Hasta Mudras for weight loss is a quite effective way to get rid of the extra weight.
Shiva Linga Mudra signifies the winning stride of positivity over negativity. This Mudra accelerates the fire within you, replenishing your internal organs with vital energy that aids in the process of digestion. Linga Mudra promotes fast metabolism, which in turn helps in reducing weight.
How to Perform:
- Sit in a comfortable position, such as lotus position or just with your legs crossed. Use a light mat for sitting on, as cold floors obstruct energy flow.
- Keep your eyes closed for a better experience as it allows you to meditate and concentrate better.
- To perform the Mudra, interlock your fingers of both hands and keep the thumb erect. Asserting some pressure into the palm benefits the build-up of heat.
- Practice this Mudra for 20-30 minutes a day.
Linga Mudra is an excellent way of generating heat in the body. Heat obstructs the growth of ‘Ama,’ a toxic substance that leads to the culmination of fat and hampers the process of digestion.
Read: Health Benefits of Shiva Linga Mudra
3. Kapha-Nashak Mudra:
Pitta’ and ‘Kapha’ are two temperaments that represent fire and Earth, respectively. The Pitta humor recognizes fire as its property and helps in boosting metabolism. The Kapha humor represents the Earth and excess of Kapha in the body can lead to weight gain. It is evident how ancient the concepts of Yoga Hand Mudras for weight loss are, given the usage of terminologies.
How to Perform:
- Sit in a comfortable position with the eyes closed and back kept straight.
- Perform the Mudra by placing first the ring finger, and then the little finger on to the palm.
- Hold these fingers with the base of your thumb, exerting pressure as long as it feels comfortable.
- Hold this Mudra for 30-45 minutes every day, with repetitions of 15 minutes.
- If your body is prone to Pitta, practice this Mudra in moderation.
The Kapha-Nashak Mudra elevates the functioning of the digestive system by generating fire through boosting metabolism.
4. Vaayan Mudra:
Vaayan refers to the ‘Vaat’ humor in the body which recognizes the properties of air. The effect of air and space elements on the body is enormous and reaps several benefits when practiced the right way. The Vaayan Mudra facilitates your control over the nervous system, making you more self-aware. Vaayan Mudra for weight loss helps in reducing fat levels in the body.
How to Perform:
- Sit in a relaxed position in a secure, ventilated space.
- Keep your eyes closed and back straight for best results.
- Place the tip of your index finger and middle finger on the tip of your thumb.
- Keep erect the other two fingers, facing the sky.
- Exert pressure reaching the levels of comfort.
- Hold the position for 15-20 minutes daily for a quick result.
Along with weight loss, the Vaayan Mudra offers several benefits that help regulate the body and the mind.
5. Gyan Mudra for Weight Loss:
Gyan Mudra, also known as the Mudra of Knowledge, is hugely beneficial in dealing with a lot of health issues, including weight loss. And Gyan Mudra is generally practiced in proper combinations of yoga and breathing exercises. Yoga Mudras are primarily used to express and emphasize the intentions of our mind. Retaining positive thoughts through the process of meditation is essential to reap the benefits of Yoga Mudras.
How to Perform:
- Sit in a relaxed position with legs crossed.
- Keep your eyes closed for better concentration.
- Touch the tip of your index finger to the tip of the thumb.
- Keep the other fingers erect and stretched.
- Place your palm on your knees, facing upwards.
Gyan Mudra is beneficial in attaining control over your mind and being self-aware. Many experts have suggested the reason for weight gain being disturbances in the sleep schedule. The Gyan Mudra facilitates the on-set of proper sleep and helps you fix your sleep cycle, which eventually results in good health and metabolism.
Read: What is Gyan Mudra and Its Benefits?
6. Prana Mudra:
Prana Mudra translates itself to the Mudra of Life. This Mudra is considered significant and holds superiority as it represents life. The Prana Mudra is one of the most critical Mudras as it helps to activate the energy in the body. The root chakras get enlivened by the practice of Prana Mudra, spreading the energy flow throughout the body. Prana Mudra is often performed with the aid of Pranayama for beneficial results.
How to Perform:
- Sit in privacy in a ventilated room.
- With legs crossed, keep your eyes closed to help the process of meditation.
- This Mudra is performed with the fingers of both hands.
- Join the tip of the thumb to the tips of the ring finger and the little finger.
- Repeat with the other hand.
- Hold the position for 20-25 minutes to achieve desired results.
The Prana Mudra rejuvenates the entire body as it provides life force like no other Mudra. It is also essential to maintain healthy habits of practicing Yoga Mudras for weight loss.
Read: Steps to Do Prana Mudra
Yoga Mudras are an extensive study that has stood the test of time and continue to provide immense health benefits. These benefits are not just limited to physical self but also help in improving your mental health. Practicing Yoga Mudras daily enhances your immune system and enriches your well-being.
This article tries to shed light on the vast techniques included in Yoga. If this reading experience was fruitful and led you to find what you were looking for, leave your feedback, and share it amongst like-minded people.
Frequently Asked Questions & Answers:
Q1. What are the different branches of Yoga?
Ans: Yoga is an ancient discipline that practices several techniques to ensure the proper functioning of the mind and body. There are several schools of Yoga, such as Iyengar Yoga, Ashtanga Yoga, Power Yoga, Surya Yoga, and Yoga Mudras.
Q2. Which style of Yoga would be suitable for me?
Ans: The kind of Yoga that you must practice depends on several aspects like your age, gender, weight, etc. Your intentions of learning the techniques can also imply which school you should pursue. Eating habits, temperament, hobbies also determine the kind of Yoga you should follow.
Q3. Should I eat before Yoga?
Ans: Yoga Mudras do not involve a lot of physical activities, but other disciplines of Yoga include a lot of physical strain. It is advisable to practice Yoga as soon as you’ve woken up, or consume food 1.5-2 hours before exercising.
Q4. When should I practice Yoga Mudras?
Ans: Yoga Mudras are a convenient form of exercise as they can be done anywhere and do not require a specific area of practice. It is advisable to practice Yoga Mudras in the early hours of the morning as it is essential to reap the benefits for the entire day.
Q5. Is meditation necessary during Yoga practice?
Ans: Some Yoga instructors emphasize the importance of meditation during Yoga and use these practices in their teachings. Meditation helps in boosting the benefits of Yoga and also helps in achieving control over the mind. Yoga Mudras done with the help of meditation enriches the experience.
Q6. How does Surya Mudra effect in weight loss?
Ans: Surya Mudra uses the element of fire and helps generate light through your internal systems. This creates vibrations and heat in your order, which aids in digestion and improves metabolism. The heat produced helps in thinning of the fats.
Q7. How many times can I practice Yoga Mudras?
Ans: Yoga Mudras should be practiced every day in proper rotations. A healthy prescription from your guru should be followed in terms of practicing Yoga Mudras every day.