Charcoal Soaps are the latest fad in the beauty segment! These jet black colored soaps contain activated charcoal as the key ingredient, renowned for its skin-clearing properties. Unlike the regular soaps which only remove the surface level dirt, Charcoal soaps can draw out excess oil, impurities and debris from the deeper layers of your skin pores. The result – squeaky clean skin!
In this article, we shall help you understand more about the benefits of these soaps, along with the best Charcoal soaps available in the Indian market. Read along to find out why these products are worth a try!
Benefits of Charcoal Soaps:
Before we begin talking about the pros of these soaps, let us understand what are Charcoal soaps?
As mentioned earlier, Charcoal soaps are made with Activated charcoal or carbon that is formed from the burnt wood, coal, coconut husk etc. By burning these substances are extremely high temperatures, oxygen from remnant charcoal gets removed. This provides it with the natural ability to absorb impurities and toxins.
Now, let us look into the advantages of using a Charcoal Soap:
- Draws out Impurities: Did you know that activated charcoal has the power to absorb thousand times of its own weight? This absorption property benefits our skin by sucking out all the impurities and pollutants present in the pores.
- Treats Oily Skin: Charcoal present in the soap can absorb excess oil from the skin like a sponge. After just a single-use, you can notice an oil-free, mattifying look on your face and body.
- Reduces Acne: By absorbing toxins, excess sebum and debris from your skin pores, charcoal soap creates an unfavourable environment for bacterial growth. Thus, it reduces skin infections, particularly acne.
- Reduces Pore Size: Charcoal soap can shrink your skin pores and make them less noticeable.
- Gentle Exfoliation: The slightly coarse texture of a charcoal soap can work like a mild exfoliator to buff away dead cells, along with accumulated dirt on the skin.
10 Best Charcoal Soaps To Try In 2021:
Let us now explore a few best-rated charcoal soaps available currently in the Indian market:
1. Bombay Shaving Company Activated Bamboo Charcoal Bath Soap:
Bombay Shaving Company is an Indian brand which sells handmade and all-natural soaps. This black soap with activated charcoal is earned top ratings in popular online stores. Along with charcoal, the soap also contains glycerine and cocoa butter that nourishes your skin and prevents it from drying out. The product is also infused with the soothing scent of Bergamot, Lavender and Sandalwood for that relaxed bathing experience.
Key Ingredients: Activated Charcoal, Coconut Oil, Glycerine, Cocoa butter, Coffee Granules, Sorbitol etc.
Suitable Gender and Skin Type: For men and women aged above 12 years with oily to combination skin.
- Big sized soap that lasts really long
- Doesn’t dry out skin like other charcoal soaps
- Mild, natural fragrance
- Textured soap that leaves a massaging effect on the skin
- No harmful chemicals
- The soap sweats when put in a humid environment.
- Slightly expensive
2. Godrej Cinthol Charcoal Soap:
Godrej Cinthol Charcoal soap not only offers deep cleansing benefits but also protects you from unwanted body odour. The soap is specially designed for those who are always on-the-go and exposed to dirt and pollution. You can notice clear before-after results with this soap, as it removes the grime from your pores and clarifies your skin. The long-lasting active deo leaves you smelling fresh and confident.
Key Ingredients: Activated Charcoal, Water, Glycerine, Sodium Palmate, Citric Acid, Perfume etc.
Suitable Gender and Skin Type: For men with an active lifestyle and oily to combination skin.
- Leaves your skin clean and clear
- Nice fresh fragrance
- Removes oil and dirt effectively.
- Contains no artificial colors
- Can dry out the skin
- Not suitable for winter weathers
3. Khadi Essentials Luxurious Ayurvedic Activated Charcoal Sugar Soap:
This handmade luxury soap from Khadi essentials is powered with the goodness of activated bamboo charcoal. The soap is designed to give you deep cleansing and exfoliation benefits with the addition of cane sugar. This is a 100% all-natural product that is suitable for both men and women. Also, the soap contains other active ingredients like green tea and aloe vera to hydrate and nourish your skin.
Key Ingredients: Activated Charcoal, Green Tea, Aloe Vera, Palm Kernal Oil, Cane Sugar etc.
Suitable Gender and Skin Type: For men and women with normal, oil and combination skin
- Beautiful and attractive packaging
- Handmade product with natural ingredients
- Contains no chemicals
- Works as a soap and scrub
- Nice fragrance
- Expensive Product
- Might dry out the skin in cold weathers
[See More: Best Charcoal Face Masks]
4. Ustraa Deo Soap For Men With Activated Charcoal:
If you are looking for an “exclusively for men” charcoal soap, then this is the product for you! Ustraa Activated charcoal soap is specially designed for men who lead an active lifestyle. The product helps in removing tough dirt and grime on the skin to make you feel fresh and clean. The palm and coconut oil-based oil also give you a rich foam for that quality bathing experience. That’s not all! The intense musk fragrance can keep you smelling fresh for longer hours.
Key Ingredients: Activated Charcoal, Alcohol, Glycerine, Sodium Palmate, Lauric Acid etc.
Suitable Gender and Skin Type: Men who go out regularly with an oily to combination skin.
- Lathers really well
- Soaps lasts for a long time.
- Affordable pricing
- A rich fragrance that lasts long
- Can dry out the skin in the longer run
- Contains alcohol that may not work for sensitive skins
5. The Man Company Charcoal Soap:
The Man’s Company Charcoal soap is one of the best products in the market, which delivers what it promises. It is a 100% natural soap that not only cleanses your skin but also removes dead cells and blackheads with its textured surface. You can also use it for treating acne the skin with its antibacterial properties. The soap works well for removing tan and pigmentation from the rest of your body.
Key Ingredients: Activated Charcoal, Coconut Oil, Mahua Oil, Castor Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Water, Patchouli Oil, Cedarwood Oil, Mint Oil, Rosemary Extract, Cinnamon Extract.
Suitable Gender and Skin Type: For Men with oily and acne-prone skin
- Long-lasting product
- Works well as an exfoliating agent
- Natural product with no chemicals
- Premium soap designed for men
- Not recommended for sensitive skin
- Prolonged usage may dry out the skin.
6. Soulflower Deodorizing Charcoal Natural Cold Process Soap:
Soulflower is an Indian based brand renowned for its natural and chemical-free products. This Charcoal soap is one of the best selling products from the brand, which is made with activated charcoal. To balance the drying action of charcoal, the soap is infused with a perfect blend of vitamins, essential fatty acids and nutrients to make it suitable for all skin types. The brand also recommends cutting down the soap into 2 parts to prevent the loss of product due to sweating.
Key Ingredients: Activated Charcoal, Vitamin E, Peppermint Essential Oil, Radish Juice, Castor Oil, Tea Tree Oil etc.
Suitable Gender and Skin Type: For women and men of all skin types
- 100% natural product
- The nice fragrance from essential oils
- Helps in drawing out the dirt and grime
- Can remove surface-level tan
- Leaves a cooling effect on the skin
- Doesn’t lather very well
- Pricey product
[See More: Best Charcoal Face Washes]
7. Beardo Activated Charcoal Brick Soap:
Beardo Activated Charcoal Soap is an effective cleanser for your face and body. The activated charcoal present in this product cleans dust and pollutants that cause dullness on your skin. To give you a spa-like bathing experience, this soap contains ingredients like patchouli oil, aloe vera etc. The sugar crystals embedded in the soap can smoothen out your skin texture and make you look radiant.
Key Ingredients: Activated Charcoal, Aloe vera, Patchouli Oil, Sugar etc.
Suitable Gender and Skin Type: For men with oil and dull skin
- Contains no harsh chemicals
- Cleans from within the pores
- Leaves your skin fresh and clean
- Has a nice fragrance
- Lathers well
- May dry out skin in the long run.
8. Barber’s Club Hand Made Organic Charcoal Soap:
Barber’s Club is another personal care brand that offers premium quality handmade charcoal soap. The black-coloured soap effectively removes the unwanted toxins and wastes from the skin pores without drying it out. The brand claims that the product can be particularly beneficial for those who are suffering from skin disorders like Eczema, Psoriasis, Acne Rosacea etc. It is made with 100% natural ingredients to give you a safe bathing experience.
Key Ingredients: Activated Charcoal, Coconut Oil, Castor Oil, Stearic Acid, Glycerine etc.
Suitable Gender and Skin Type: For men with oily skin
- Free from harmful sulfates and chemicals
- A musky aroma that can renew your senses
- Removes dead cells from the upper layer of skin
- Long-lasting scent
- Can be harsh on sensitive skin
9. Palmolive Skin Therapy Activated Charcoal Soap:
Palmolive is another popular personal care brand that has launched its facial bar with charcoal powder. The soap lathers well and gives you rich foam for an effective cleansing experience. Along with activated charcoal as its key ingredient, the soap is also infused with fruit oils to give you a healthy and glowing skin.
Key Ingredients: Activated Charcoal, Glycerine, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Citronellol, Coumarin etc.
Suitable Gender and Skin Type: For men and women with dull and greasy skin
- Affordable Product
- Available in most offline and online stores
- Gives a nice foam
- Soothing scent
- Makes you feel fresh for a couple of hours
- Loaded with chemicals
- Not suitable for sensitive or dry skin
[See More: Best-Rated Peel-Off Masks]
10. Neev Herbal Handmade Charcoal Soap:
If you are particular about finding the words “herbal”, “Handmade” and “Made In India”, then check out this brand! Neev Herbal handmade soaps offer a range of cleansing products including this Charcoal soap. It is designed specifically for deep pore cleansing to remove accumulated dirt and grime. It contains natural skin nourishing agents like Coconut oil, castor oil, Mahua oil, lemon oil etc. that help in tightening, firming and detoxifying.
Suitable Gender and Skin Type: For men and women with oily, acne-prone or rough skin
- Handmade product
- Completely natural
- Organic ingredients in the product
- The nice scent from essential oils
- Controls oil production
- Dries up acne in a couple of days
- Not available in regular stores
- Slightly pricey product
How to Use Charcoal Soaps?
Charcoal soaps are relatively new products in the market. So, many of you might want to know how to use it them in the right way. Read along to know the best method for using charcoal soap on your face and body:
- Splash your face and body with lukewarm water
- Now apply the soap on your body directly or use the foam by lathering water soap in your hands.
- Massage in circular motions to target deep pore cleansing
- Wash the product thoroughly with water
- If necessary, use a moisturizer to replenish lost hydration.
Side Effects Of Charcoal Soaps:
Are Charcoal soaps safe and free from side effects? Experts say no to it! All the good things heard about activated charcoal soaps must be taken with a grain of salt. Here are some of the adverse effects of these products (may not be same for all):
- May irritate sensitive skin.
- Can be extremely drying on the skin, especially in winters
- The abrasive nature of the soap can damage the surface layer of skin.
- If the soap enters the eyes or mucus glands, there may be chances of skin inflammation.
So, if you are keen on using Activated charcoal in your daily skin routine, then make sure you are aware of the benefits and side effects of these charcoal soaps. Also, please read the labels carefully to know what other ingredients are added in the product before you start using it. So, have you tried any of these soaps before? If yes, do let us know your experiences.
DISCLAIMER: The article is written purely for the informational purpose(s) only. We do not endorse or are affiliated to any of the brands mentioned above. However, we do earn a small commission if you buy the product through our website. You must use these products at your own risk, and we do not undertake any responsibility for any damages that occurred in connection with them.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers:
Q1. Can I use charcoal soap everyday?
Ans: Ofcourse you can! Charcoal soaps are like any other soaps designed for everyday use. They can be used on face and all over the body (except genitals). If you find the soap too drying, then follow it with a moisturizer or a body lotion.
Q2. Is Charcoal Soap good for removing tan?
Ans: Charcoal soaps can give you a lightened appearance by removing the surface level dirt and impurities. While they can certainly help in getting out the newly formed tan (on the top layer of skin), the effectiveness of charcoal soaps on pigmentation and melasma is not proven yet.
Q3. How does Charcoal soap benefit for Eczema, Psoriasis etc.?
Ans: The Activated charcoal present in the soap can help in the detoxification of skin cells. The anti-septic properties of this agent may help in clearing the condition when used along with other medical products. Also, the scrubbing texture of this soap can offer temporary relief from itchiness and irritation.