How you wish you had listened to mommy and grandma when they asked you to take care of your hair, back in the hay days. Now that you have grown up, the world questions you about those long tresses you once had. This also is a reason why your self-confidence and esteem have taken a beating. However, all hope is not lost. Rather than dwelling on what was, let us now take a look at some of grandmas age old secrets and learn how to keep our hair healthy and shiny, using methods as natural and with ingredients found easily at home that have proven to be a good natural hair treatment for dry hair.
See More: Treatment For Oily Hair At Home
Best Natural Treatments For Dry Hair:
Here is the list of best and natural treatments on how to treat dry hair that are available in your kitchen that makes your hair healthier and softer from dryness. You have follow some dietary suggestions along with below treatment such as eating healthy, drinking a lot of water and exercising everyday. When you’re healthy inside, it reflects outside.
1. Honey, Curd And Eggs Treatment For Dry Hair:
Honey, curd and eggs are for breakfast only, wrong; these are three most important ingredients that can help with dry hair treatment. They aren’t costly to buy and are easy to use, with plenty of benefits for the hair to enjoy as well.
- Mix the three of them (honey. Curd and eggs) well.
- Apply the paste to your head for thirty minutes. This conditions the hair roots, cleans the scalp and allows your hair to be fed well.
- Wash it off with cold water and pat towel dry only.
Then you will be with no dry hair.
2. Avocado And Honey:
The paste of an avocado with honey and an egg white would be great to use as a conditioner for dry hair. The oils found in the fruit helps bring back the lost essential oils found naturally in our hair scalp and skin.
- Make a paste by combining avocado, honey and egg.
- Add a dash of lemon juice to it, which would cleanse the scalp off dandruff, dirt and grime, and let the locks breathe.
- Use this kitchen fix for thirty minutes and wash it off with cold water.
Watch how the shine comes back when you do this thrice a week for a month.
3. Honey And Egg Mask :
One can also use an entire egg mixed with honey to condition dry hair. Grandma always says,“use the paste of egg and honey for twenty minutes on the hair and the scalp.” This allows your scalp to clean itself, nourish itself and to bring back essential oils lost due to harsh chemicals from hair products being used. When this treatment is done once a week, itwill bring back luster and shine. This is one of the best and perfect dry hair treatments.
- Mix one egg and one tablespoon of honey and form a paste.
- Apply this paste to your hair and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse as usual.
4. Curd And Milk Treatment For Dry Hair:
Most of the styling cosmetics for hair can make the hair dull and dry. Even pollution and grime or dandruff and dirt can make the hair limp and dry, say experts. Hair is sapped off its moisture and the shine is lost, which is why dairy products when consumed or topically used work wonders. Curd and milk, when mixed to make a hair wash concoction, bring back the shine and reverses damages of any kind. Dirt and grime will be stripped away with the lactic acid present in dairy products. Add lemon and honey to it, and the conditioning of dry hair is taken care of.
- Mix equal quantities (2 tablespoons each) of curd and milk to make the hair wash concoction.
- Add ½ a lemon and a tablespoon of honey.
- Keep the concoction for thirty minutes and then let cold water wash it off.
Do this thrice a week and watch how the hair is restored in its prime and glory.
See More: Summer Hair Care Tips
5. Lemon And Honey:
Dry hair not only causes hair fall but also itchy and smelly scalps. The condition is fuelled by bad diets the environment or the stress levels we endure every day. Lemon juice with honey when mixed works wonders to keep such issues at bay, making the hair bounce with luster and shine. You could even add a dash of essential oils too, which will nourish the scalp and keep it healthy and moisturized.
6. Beer Treatment For Dry Hair:
When hair goes dry and limp, you need beer. Not to consume but to use it topically. Beer has a lot of yeast that helps to plump dry hair and to make it look fresh. The beverage is known to bring about instant results.
- Shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
- Use half a bottle of beer for the final rinse and then towel pat dry for the best effects.
7. Honey And Milk:
If you have hair that is exposed to the sun for a prolonged period, or maybe hard minerals in the water have wreaked havoc over time, you need help big time. Use honey with milk to moisturize, clean and to care for dry and damaged hair. It brings back the moisture and maintains the shine and glow. Use this remedy as often as you want, maybe thrice a week with a mild shampoo would do good.
8. Honey And Curd Treatment For Dry Hair:
There are some who even use cornstarch to ensure the dirt and grime are taken away from their hair, which when left unattended makes the hair look dry and dead. A paste of the cornstarch made with curd and honey, balances the oil levels and the hair comes back with shine and bounces. Us this mixture thrice a week and that will make your hair happy and healthy.
- Take ½ cup plain yogurt.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of honey and form a paste.
- Apply this mixture to your scalp and hair.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and rinse as usual.
Dry frizzy hair looks cute on the poodle at home, not on your head. Avocado to the rescue, its paste has essential oils that bring in the luster your hair needs. The proteins help smooth the hair and straighten it naturally, so no more chemical straighteners and hair treatments for the same needed.
- Mash one avocado.
- Damp your hair and add this paste to your hair.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and rinse as usual.
10. Banana And Honey:
- Make a mixture with sour cream mixed with honey and banana paste (this nourishes the scalp and brings back life to dry and damaged hair.)
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and rinse as usual.
Use this mixture thrice a week for twenty minutes; the hair pack brings results one of a kind. This hair mask is one of the most effective dry hair treatments for both men and women.
See More: Winter Hair Care Tips
11. Aloe Vera Treatment For Dry Hair:
Another treatment for dry hair is using Aloe Vera. Thisnatural ingredient with excellent moisturizing property makes your hair shiny and healthier on the outside and inside.
An ideal aloe Vera pack for your hair treatment must contain:
- Mix a few teaspoons of aloe vera juice and gel with 1 ½ tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Add 3 tablespoons of yogurt to it.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and allow it to settle down and nourish your roots.
- Leave it on for about 20-30 minutes and then wash off the paste/mixture with normal cold water.
Repeating this process every once in a while will help your hair become healthy and shine once again
Hair treatment at home for dry hair is now super easy and all ingredients are available at home. Mayonnaise is a tried and trusted agent for treating the thick volumes of dry hair. Using it prevents dryness and dandruff and other scalp problems too.
- Taking a little bit of mayonnaise, slowly apply this to your hair avoiding the scalp.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or a plastic cap let it spread for about 10 minutes and then wash the layer off with cold water.
Following the above process regularly will ensure that you end up with brittle free hair in no time.
13. Vinegar Treatment For Dry Hair:
Treatment at home for dry hair doesn’t sound tedious when vinegar is used. Its moisturizing properties restore the pH balance of your hair and help the hair retain its moisture.
- You can take 2-3 tablespoons of vinegar and massage your hair thoroughly from the roots to the tips and wash it with cold water.
- Another method for using Vinegar is by making your own vinegar spray for your hair.For this, pour water and vinegar solution in an empty spray bottle and spray it occasionally and this will also result in a permanent fix for dry hair.
14. Coconut Oil And Curry Leaves:
Don’t disbelieve in the magic of the combined work of coconut oil and curry leaves oil for dry scalp treatment.
- Taking a few spoons of coconut oil add 5 to 6 curry leaves to it. Heat the oil for 2 to 3 minutes and allow it to cool.
- Apply the cooled oil to your scalp.
- Now place your cap under the warm water. And gently massage your head with the oil is still in your scalp and then leave the wet cap on let the oil settle down in the hair follicle for about thirty minutes and then rinse your hair to get shinier hair than before.
- Repeat this number of times to get rid of all your dry hair eventually.
Dry hair treatment at home can also be done with the use of gelatin, which restores protein and thus repairing dry and damaged hair.
- Take a spoon of gelatin, add this to a cup of warm water and then add a few drops of vinegar and a few spoons of lavender, rosemary or coconut oil.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and scalp and cover your head.
- Leave the mixture on for fifteen minutes and then rinse your hair with lukewarm water.
Repeating this process ensures you have smoother and less drier hair everyday.
Follow up all of the procedures listed here with oiling every night with almond oil. This ensures better nourishment. You don’t have to be that ‘dry hair girl’ for everyone who doesn’t know your name anymore. Just sit back and let these good oil hacks do the trick.
We hope these 15 homemade treatments on how to maintain get rid of dry hair and healthy hair comes in handy. Grandma and mommy weren’t wrong with their methods; look at their lovely tresses that have stood the test of time. You too should say yes to herbal and holistic treatments, and use less of chemical based products to manage dry or damaged hair.
How do you Treat dry Damaged Hair?
1. Mayonnaise: Dry hair treatment at home is now very easy and all the ingredients are now available at home. Mayonnaise is a tried and trusted agent for treating the thick volumes of dry hair.
2. Butter: Try another method by massaging butter to treat dry, brittle hair for a glossy shine. Cover your hair with a shower cap for about half an hour. Shampoo your hair as usual and rinse out the butter. Voila, your hair is softer and it helps treat damaged hair scorched in the summer sun.
3. Olive Oil Conditioning: Condition your hair with olive oil. Nourish your hair with 2 ½ cups of warm olive oil, wrap it in a towel, and let this potion work its magic for 45 minutes. Then shampoo and rinse as usual. This prevents hair damage and treat it too.
4. Tea Rinse: Rinse with tea. Use unsweetened tea for the final rinse after shampooing. Tea can also enhance color. Blondes must use chamomile tea and Brunettes should use black tea. This helps give your hair natural shine.
5. Shampoo Omelet: Make a “shampoo omelet”: Mix one egg with shampoo and apply it to your damaged hair for five minutes. Rinse your hair and see the protein being restored to your hair.
Treatment for Dry Frizzy Hair:
Almond Oil and Egg – Mix ¼ cup almond oil and one egg. Section your hair and start applying the mixture. Leave it on for 40 minutes and rinse as usual. Apply this mixture once a week and your hair will be frizz free in no time.
Coconut oil and Vitamin E – Mix 1-part vitamin E oil and 3 parts coconut oil. Apply all through the scalp and the lengths of your hair. Wash your hair after 40 minutes. Using this once a week nourishes your hair and manages the frizz.
Banana – Mash a banana with 2 teaspoons honey and 1.3rd cup almond oil or coconut oil. Apply this mixture to your hair and leave it on for 20-25 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with shampoo and conditioner. This helps treat extremely frizzy hair.
Lemon and Honey – Mix 2 tablespoons of honey with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice with a cup of water. Pour this mixture to freshly washed hair and massage your hair for a couple of minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water and shampoo. This improves the health of your hair, boosts hair growth and gives subtle highlights because of the bleaching agent.
Coconut Milk – Heat 2-3 tablespoons of coconut milk until its warm. Apply it to your hair and leave it on for 30 minutes. Rinse and shampoo as usual. Using this twice a week repairs damaged and frizzy hair.
Dry Brittle Hair Treatment:
- Homemade Hot Oil Treatment –Mix equal quantities of almond oil, jojoba oil, olive oil and coconut oil and warm it. Massage this oil and wrap it up in a towel. Wash with a mild shampoo. After seven days, your hair will be softer, shinier and healthier.
- Water and Egg Yolk Mix – Mix 2 egg yolks and three tablespoons of water until the mixture is fluffy. Apply it all over your hair for 30 minutes and rinse off with cold water. This makes your hair shine instantly.
- Vegetable oil and Honey Mask – Mix 2 tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and apply it to your hair as a mask. Rinse and shampoo as usual after 15 minutes.
- Honey Hair Mask – Mix 1 tablespoon honey and 2 spoons of oil (coconut or olive or jojoba). Apply to the driest parts of your hair and leave it on for 20 minutes and rinse as usual.
- Gram Flour Pack – Mix 1 cup of coconut milk with 3 tablespoons of gram flour. Apply this mixture from the roots to the tips and leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water. This mixture conditions the hair and makes it soft.
Here are a Few Tips to Treat Dry Hair Ends:
1. Deep Condition – Restore life to your damaged hair and add shine and texture. Use a conditioner or oils like coconut oil, almond oil or jojoba oil.
- Dampen your hair and cover each strand of your hair with the conditioner / oil. Separate each strand by using your fingers or a wide-toothed comb,
- Cover your hair with a towel or a shower cap.
- Leave it on for an hour, for best results, leave it on overnight,
- Shampoo and rinse your hair as normal.
2. Homemade Hair Mask – Use this mask just before your shampoo your hair and see how the magic works on dry ends.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of honey or one banana or avocado mashed or 2 tablespoons yogurt or 1 beaten egg or a combination of two or more.
- Apply this mask and leave it on for 10-15 minutes.
- Shampoo and rinse your hair as normal.
3. Coconut and Avocado Pack – Avocado contains good fats, protein, minerals and vitamins A, D, E, K and B and nourishes and treats dry hair.
- Mash one avocado and add ½ a cup of coconut milk and make a paste.
- Apply this paste to your hair, starting from the roots all the way to the tips.
- Leave it on for 45 minutes and rinse your hair as normal.
Follow these simple home remedies for dry hair and regular use of these treatments will restore your luscious hair in no time.