Hey, it’s summer again! Time to get into breezy clothes, put on lots of sunscreens, and head to the beach. But wait! What about your hair? Protecting your tresses is as important as protecting your skin from sun damage. Neglect it, and you will end up with hair loss, frizzy hair, split ends etc. – lifeless hair, to be precise! Fret not, as we have listed some of the best summer hair care tips and home remedies to save your locks!
So, time to say goodbye to “bad hair” days and enjoy a glossy mane all through the season!
Effects of Summer Sun on Hair
Here are some of the many side effects of the scorching heat of the sun on your hair:
- Prolonged exposure to the sun can strip away the moisture from your hair, leaving it dry and damaged.
- Sun emits powerful rays like UVA and UVB rays which damage the cuticle, the outer strand of hair and cause breakages.
- The heat from the sun may cause discoloration of hair. Extreme temperatures can turn your hair brittle and lifeless.
- The warm temperatures offer an ideal environment for microbes like Malassezia Globosa to thrive and multiply. This increases your risk of scalp problems like dandruff. Sweating and dust worsen this issue!
- Summer sun can also cause sunburns on the scalp, leading to hair loss and hair thinning. It also dry out the scalp and increases the chance of flakes and itchiness.
How to Protect Your Hair In Summers?
We know you are waiting for this section! Well, here you go! Follow these important hair care tips for dry and damaged hair in summer:
1. Go for a Haircut:
In summer, the rule “shorter is better” holds good for hair. Short hair is easy to manage and clean regularly. While men can opt for buzz cuts, women can get their hair trimmed regularly to maintain it. Experts recommend getting regular trims every 2-3 months to shed the dry and dead cells.
2. Wear a Scarf:
A scarf can protect your hair from direct sun rays and minimize damage. You can wrap it around your hair while stepping out to shield your hair, along with making a style statement. Be sure to pick a cotton one to absorb excess sweat and moisture. Straw hats and caps with ventilating holes also work well.
3. Avoid Tight Hairstyles:
Summers are the best times to let your hair down, not just for looks but also for damage reduction. Tight hairstyles like braids, cornrows etc., trap sweat inside and increase the risk of infections like dandruff. Instead, you can go for natural curls, loose braid, messy buns etc., to look neat and keep your scalp airy at the same time.
4. Wash Your Hair Regularly:
Hair wash is an essential step in your summer hair care regime. You must wash your hair at least 2-3 times a week to remove sweat, oil, dust and even foul smell. Use a mild cleanser that doesn’t strip away the natural oils. Also, avoid washing hair more than thrice a week to prevent dryness.
5. Say No to Styling Products:
With the outside heat already playing havoc on your hair, you don’t want to contribute to more damage with styling tools! Heat tools like straighteners, blow-dry etc., will dry out your hair and make it look frizzy. Also, avoid chemical treatments like straightening, perming, keratin etc., in summers, as maintenance can get quite difficult. We also recommend using hair care products like serums minimally to prevent hair from look limp and flat.
6. Use A Conditioner:
After shampooing, use a creamy conditioner to nourish and hydrate your hair. Conditioners soften your hair, repair sun damage and add shine to your mane. These products also prevent your hair from drying out and minimize the risk of breakages, split ends. Just apply a conditioner immediately after shampooing, leave it on for 2-3 minutes and rinse with water. Avoid using these products directly onto roots!
7. Oil Your Hair:
Oil massage offers plenty of benefits to your hair, particularly in summers. Massaging your hair with warm oil like coconut or olive stimulates better blood circulation and boosts hair growth. The oils coat your strands with a protective layer to prevent loss of moisture. You can go for a “champi” one hour before your wash time. Also, wrapping your hair with a hot towel increases the effectiveness of the oils used.
8. Try Hair Masks:
Hair masks are miracle solutions for problems like dryness, frizz, hair fall etc., caused during summers. These products contain deep conditioning agents like shea butter, argan oil etc. which nourish your hair. You can either use them as pre-shampoo treatments or apply them to hair after a shampoo wash to replace your conditioner.
9. Invest in a Wide-toothed Brush:
The last thing you want during summers is your comb snagging your precious strands! Avoid this problem by investing in a good detangling, wide-bristled brush that is more gentle on hair. It is better to not comb your hair when it is wet and quite weak. You can use a few drops of serum to detangle your hair effortlessly.
10. Try Sunscreen Hair Products:
Sunscreen for hair? Yes! A special range of haircare products is designed exclusively to protect your hair and scalp from UV radiation. These products are powered with SPF to repel the harsh rays, along with minimizing dryness. You can choose from shampoos to mist, spray, serums and leave-in conditioners.
Home Remedies to Repair Sun Damaged Hair
Sometimes, your everyday ingredients work just as fine as expensive, luxe products! So, treat your hair to some natural goodness by whipping up these amazing hair masks and say goodbye to sun damage:
1. Aloe Vera:
Aloe vera is grown in most households and belongs to the succulent family. The white gel inside the thorny leaves is rich in water and hair nourishing enzymes. Aloe gel can be particularly beneficial for sun-damaged hair with its intense moisturizing properties. Along with treating dryness and frizz, Aloe vera offers a host of nutrients to impart healthy hair growth.
DIY Aloe Vera Hair Pack
- Aloe vera Gel – 1 Cup (you can use fresh gel or Store-Bought)
- Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp
Directions to Use?
- Mix Aloe vera gel with coconut oil
- Use a spoon or fork to blend them well
- Now slightly wet your hair using a spray bottle
- Section your hair and apply the gel on your strands from roots to tips
- Comb your hair with a wide-toothed comb for even distribution
- Cover your hair with a shower cap
- Leave it for 20-30 minutes
- Use water and a mild cleanser to rinse the product thoroughly
Bananas work amazing on your hair and offer a wide range of benefits. The ripe ones contain silica which strengthens your strands and boosts collagen levels naturally. The hair-nourishing properties of these fruits soften your mane and make it look glossy. Bananas also have anti-microbial properties to fight infection-causing microbes and promote good scalp health.
DIY Banana Hair Pack
- Ripe Bananas – 1 or 2 (1 for short length, 2 or more for longer hair)
- Honey – 1 tbsp
Directions to Use?
- Mash the bananas using a fork or your hand
- Add some honey and mix well
- Now, apply this mixture all over your hair and scalp
- Massage for 1-2 minutes
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes
- Use lukewarm water and a mild cleanser to rinse out the product
[ Also Read: Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp ]
Eggs are nutrient-rich ingredients that repair sun damage and rejuvenate your hair. The yellow yolk present in eggs works as an excellent natural hair conditioner. Also, the amino acids present in egg yolks strengthen your hair follicles, repair breakages and prevent hair loss. Using it along with olive oil imparts strength and smoothness to your hair.
DIY Egg Hair Mask
- Egg Yolk – 1
- Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
Directions to Use?
- Use a form to whisk the egg yolk
- Add some olive oil and whisk again
- Apply the mixture on your hair, covering the entire length of strands
- Leave it on for an hour
- Use only cool water and a cleanser to wash off the egg
Honey is a natural humectant that does wonder to your hair! It moisturizes your strands, conditions them and even fights free radicals with its antioxidant properties. Using honey on hair helps in preventing hair breakages and even frizz. The emollient nature of honey restores the natural shine of your hair and makes it look incredibly glossy. Using it with castor oil significantly improves the health of your hair.
DIY Honey Hair Pack
- Honey – ½ Cup
- Castor Oil – 1 tbsp
Directions to Use?
- In a bowl, combine honey and castor oil
- Mix well to achieve a good consistency
- Apply the mixture on wet hair
- Let it sit on your hair for 15-20 minutes
- Wash off with a cleanser and water
Avocado is loaded with hair-nourishing properties to reverse sun damage. It is a rich source of healthy fats that coat your strands with a protective layer. Avocados are also rich in many essential nutrients like biotin that imparts healthy hair and scalp. Minerals like potassium and magnesium present in Avocados seal cuticles and prevent hair breakages.
DIY Avocado Hair Mask
- Ripe Avocado – 1
- Coconut Oil – 1 tbsp
Directions to Use?
- Make a paste out of one ripe avocado
- Add some coconut oil and mix well
- Apply the mash evenly on your hair and scalp
- Let it work for 20-30 minutes
- Wash off with a mild cleanser and water
[ Also Read: Avocado Benefits For Skin, Hair & Health ]
Now that you have learned how to take care of hair in summer, you no longer have to worry about Mr Sun! Just follow these tips and home remedies to protect your mane from the harsh rays. With regular use, you are sure to achieve beautiful hair that can make everyone around you ‘burn’ with envy!