Is continuous cough causing you frustration? Do you feel a ticklishness and irritation in your throat that deprives you of sleep? Don’t worry! There are many over-the-counter cough syrups in the market which can offer temporary relief from persistent cough and itching sensation. They soothe your throat and make you feel better again!
Of course, you might have a question! There are so many cough syrups in the market, how do I know which one’s for me? The answer depends on what type of cough you have! It’s true that not every cough syrup suits everybody. Let us now understand more about the causes of coughs and types to decide on the right product.
What Causes Coughs?
Coughing is a natural reaction of the body to expel foreign particles or irritants from your throat forcefully. Sometimes the cough can be temporary, due to an upper respiratory tract infection and typically lasts for a few days to one week. This is called “Acute cough”. If the cough is severe and prolongs for more than two to three weeks, it can indicate a “Chronic cough”, which is a much more serious condition (1)
Now, let us take a look into some of the main factors that can trigger coughs:
- Allergic Reactions to irritants like dust, pollen etc.
- Influenza (Flu)
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Throat infections
- Difficulties in Swallowing
- Lung Cancer
- Novel Corona Virus (COVID 19) (2)
Types of Coughs:
The simplest way to understand coughs is by classifying them as Wet or Dry.
- Wet Coughs are filled with mucus and usually occur during cold, flu, pneumonia etc. It is a way to get rid of mucus from the respiratory system and the person experiences a feeling of stickiness, wetness at the back of the throat.
- Dry Coughs do not bring out mucus and leave a dry, tickling feeling in your throat. They are usually a result of inflammation in your tract caused due to allergies, croup, asthma etc.
Depending on the type of cough, you can pick a suitable wet cough syrup or a dry cough syrup formulated to address the specific problem.
9 Best-Rated Cough Syrups For Adults and Children in India, 2020:
Let us look into some of the popular ayurvedic/herbal cough syrup brands which are suitable for general usage:
1. Dabur Honitus Syrup:
Dabur Honitus Herbal Cough Remedy is considered to be one of the most effective cough syrups in the market. It offers quick relief from pesky cough without causing drowsiness. The ayurvedic formulation is powered with ingredients like Tulsi, Mulethi, Banaphsa which can cure acute cough and irritation in the throat. It is 100% safe and natural medicine.
- Key Ingredients: Honey, Mulethi, Sunthi, Banapsha, Tulsi etc.
- Dosage: Children: 1 teaspoon 3-4 times a day, Adults: 2 teaspoons 3-4 times a day.
2. Charak Pharma Kofol Syrup:
Kofol by Charak Pharma is an ayurvedic cough syrup suitable for both wet and dry coughs. This unique herbal blend works like anti-inflammatory, expectorant, anti-allergic and a mucolytic agent to treat the problem from roots. Apart from alleviating cough, the syrup also offers relief from respiratory problems and allergies. It is a non-drowsy formula which can be used by both adults and children.
- Key Ingredients: Akkalkara, Kababchini, Mari, Sonth, Banafsha, Hapusha etc.
- Dosage: Adult: 2 to 3 teaspoonful, children: 1 teaspoonful, infants: 1/2 teaspoonful
3. Dr Vaidya’s Huff ‘N’ Kuff Syrup:
Dr Vaidya’s Huff n Puff Ayurvedic cough syrup is a herbal blend to deal with cough and infected throat. It is formulated based on the Vata, Pittha principles of Ayurveda. Using 5 main ingredients like Brahmi Ghan, Ardusha Panchag Ghan, Tulsi, Kapur, Jyeshthimadhu Ghan, the syrup helps in balancing these doshas and improving the condition of lungs. Apart from treating cough, the product also clears nasal allergies, cold and asthma.
Key Ingredients: Jyeshthimadhu Ghan, Ardusha Panchag Ghan, Brahmi Ghan, Tulsi Ghan, Kapur
- For Adults: 2 teaspoons – Three times a day
- For Children: 1 teaspoon – Three times a day
- For Infants: ½ teaspoon – Three times a day
Precautions: This syrup is not recommended for diabetic patients.
4. Hamdard Joshina Herbal Cough:
Hamdard Joshina is an Unani medicine for cough and cold. It is an alcohol-free formula that causes no side effects such as drowsiness, lethargy etc. Made with 12 powerful herbs, this syrup offers quick relief from congestion, stuffy nose, persistent cough. It can even soothe a scratchy, irritated throat and put an end to constant sneezing.
Key Ingredients: Tulsi, Mulethi, Amaltas, Unnab, Saplstan etc.
- For Adults: 10ml of Syrup mixed with 100ml of warm water before breakfast and at bedtime
- For Children: Half the dosage of adults or as prescribed by the doctor
Precautions: It is better to consult a physician before using this syrup for children. Not suitable for kids aged below 6 years.
5. Vaddmaan Zecof – Pure Herbal & Nautral Ayurvedic Cough:
Vaddman Zecof is an innovative herbal cough syrup for adults which is made with safe and natural ingredients. It has 12 ayurvedic herbs which can help in treating dry and wet cough. You can even take it during the daytime, as the product is free from sedatives like alcohol which causes drowsiness. It also prevents respiratory problems caused by environmental factors like pollution and improves overall wellness.
- Key Ingredients: Neelgiri oil, Peppermint oil, Tulsi, Saunth, Yashthimadhu, Karkasingi, Somlata, Kaantakari
- Dosage: 2 to 3 spoon in half cup of warm water.
Precautions: Not recommended for children below 10 years
[See More: Ways to Treat Cough & Cold]
6. Baidyanath Bhringrajasava:
Keep seasonal flus at bay with Baidyanath Bhringrajasava! This effective cough syrup can clear mucus in your respiratory tract and offer instant relief to an irritated throat. It contains natural ingredients like Bhringraj, Jaiphal, Clove, Jaggery etc. which can also treat general weakness and liver disorders along with cough. Regular usage of this product can help in improving your overall health condition.
- Key Ingredients: Bhringaraj, Haritaki, Pipal, Jaiphal, Clove, Chaturjat, Dhaataki, Jaggery
- Dosage: 12ml twice daily
7. Himalaya Koflet Syrup:
Himalaya Koflet is an excellent cough syrup for dry and allergic cough. It is infused with the goodness of honey, a natural moisturizer that can soothe an itchy throat. Other ingredients like Holy Basil, Licorice, reduce inflammation in the respiratory tract and work like antitussive agents. This syrup also has immune-enhancing properties to lower risk of allergies and infections. For quick relief, you can also take this syrup in the form of lozenges.
- Key Ingredients: Tulsi, Honey, Licorice
- Dosage: Recommends a physician consultation based on severity and condition
8. Adulsa Cough Syrup:
Sapat Adulsa is a fast relief cough syrup for both wet and dry coughs. It is an ayurvedic recipe that can treat common respiratory conditions like Bronchitis, inflammation etc. The syrup contains only natural ingredients like Adulsa, Tulsi, Honey etc. which can put an end to persistent coughs and boost the immune system at the same time. The non-drowsy formula makes it suitable for people with an active lifestyle.
- Key Ingredients: Adulsa, Tulsi, Kantakari, Haldi, Yashtimadhu
- Dosage: Adults: 1-2 teaspoonful (5ml) 2-4 times in a day; 1 teaspoonful (5ml) 2-4 times a day
NOTE: Take it with warm water for better results. Use it under medical supervision to avoid over dose.
9. Kofton Ayurvedic/Herbal Cough Syrup:
If you are suffering from a cough that can break your ribs, try KOFTON Cough Syrup for immediate relief. This herbal concoction is made with Adulsa, Tulsi and Pippali which can cure cough, cold, sore throat, hoarseness of voice and Bronchitis. It works by treating the root cause than suppressing the issue for a brief period. Use it as per instructions to say goodbye to sleepless nights.
- Key Ingredients: Adulsa, Tulsi, Pippali
- Dosage: Adults: Adult- (10ml) two teaspoonfuls, three times a day, after meals.; Children: (5ml) one teaspoonful, three times a day.
NOTE: Not for children below 1 year. If you experience any allergic reaction, discontinue usage of the medicine.
How to Prevent Coughs Naturally?
It is difficult to prevent coughs as in most cases. They get triggered by microparticles like dust or internal health complications. However, following these tips can help you lower the intensity of a cough:
- Stay away from substances like pollen, dust or food that can give you allergies.
- Use a humidifier in dry weathers to prevent throat irritation and dry coughs followed by it.
- Drink plenty of warm fluids like water, herbal teas to moisten your throat.
- Use a saltwater gargle to heal throat infections and clear the tract.
- Sleep in an inclined position to stop the irritants from entering your throat
Although there are many OTC medicated drugs to supress coughs, these ayurvedic or herbal cough syrups treat your problem without any side effects. They also support your overall health by lowering the risk of infections and strengthening your system from inside. If you have used any other nature-based products to treat cough, do let us know!
Frequently Asked Questions And Answers:
Q1. Are Over-the-counter cough syrups like Benedryl considered safe?
Ans: Most OTC drugs are sold as non-prescription drugs to patients. They contain cough suppressing drugs like Diphenhydramine, Bromhexine etc. which can remove mucous, clear respiratory passage and lower the severity of coughs. But these drugs are known to pose hazardous side effects like liver and kidney problem, increase heart rate, tremors etc. Unless prescribed by a doctor for a limited period, it is better to avoid taking these medicines.
Q2. Why are cough syrups not recommended for children?
Ans: Cough syrups contain specific mucolytic or antitussive drugs which can be dangerous to young children. These syrups also contain sedatives like alcohol. Due to the risk of overdose in children, doctors warn against using these syrups unless specified by a pediatrician (in lowered doses).
Q3. Do home remedies work well to treat coughs?
Ans: Home remedies like ginger tea, warm water gargle offer temporary relief from cough. If you have a severe cause of coughing, it is better to see a doctor instead of solely depending on these methods. Also, keeping a herbal cough syrup handy can put you at ease for a brief period until you switch to a proper medication.
Disclaimer: This site is not intended to provide diagnosis, treatment or medical advice. Information related to products provided in this site directly or by linking to third-party websites are provided for informational purposes only. All products are subjected to availability, and the results may vary from person to person.