From the yesteryear’s Madhuri Dixit to the present-day Deepika Padukone and Kareena Kapoor, Bollywood heroines always had a fascination for Plain Salwar Suits. Each of these glam dolls sizzled on the silver screen with their unique cuts and colour choices of the outfits. From a tight-fitting silhouette to a loose, flowy style, a myriad of looks was created in this segment.
Plain Salwar Kameez designs never really got out of the fashion scene, but lost their sheen for a brief period, as they were labelled too basic. Thanks to many designers and celebrities, who added a contemporary flavour to them, these outfits are now one of the most popular choices of Indian women. So, why get lost in the complexity of prints and patterns, when you can take the minimal route with these outfits? Read along to get informed about the latest styles in plain salwars, along with style tips!
Features of Plain Salwar Kameez Suits:
Let’s quickly go through a list of structural and visual aspects of these garments:
- As the name suggests, Plain suits are free from any printing, motifs or grand embellishments.
- They are kept simple throughout the outfit and are usually created in an array of colours.
- The suits come in different models like Anarkali, A-line, Straight cut, Short Kurta etc., For bottom wear, there is an option to choose from tight Churidar, Palazzo, Cigarette pants, loose salwar etc.,
- These lower garments are kept uniform with the Kurta, using the same fabric and colour. There is also a choice to go for a contrast coloured or printed salwar with the plain top.
- A matching or printed Dupatta is sometimes provided as a part of the set.
- For a festive and special look, minimal embroidery or lacework is added to the neckline and sleeves, sparing the rest of the dress.
Commonly Used Fabrics For Plain Salwar Suits:
When it comes to making these garments, designers prefer experimenting with a variety of materials. Flowy fabrics like georgettes and chiffons are evergreen and never go out of vogue. Crisp Cotton, Nets, Organza, Linen, Kota, Chanderi and even Velvet, Rayon are highly preferred for their inherent beauty and unique characteristics.
Latest and Beautiful Plain Salwar Kameez Designs For Women and Men:
Here are the top 10 trending plain salwar suit patterns with pictures, to rock this season:
1. Plain Salwar Kameez With Heavy Dupatta:
With the important festivals getting closer to the date, investing in this bright red Dupatta is such a wise decision. Just check out how gorgeous does it look over an off-white plain Kurta and Skirt set. The otherwise dull looking outfit is converted into a festive-ready ensemble with just this one addition. Top it up with some gold jewellery for that lovely glow!
- Design: Off-White Cotton Kurta Set With Red Banaras Dupatta
- Fabric: Cotton Silk
- Best Occasion To Wear: Festivals, Small Gatherings
- Suitable Body Type: Pear Shaped and Apple Shaped Women
2. Plain Salwar Kameez Designs With Borders:
Here is one more stunning piece in red, which can give you a regal look. The floor-length, plain Anarkali is given a subtle touch of embellishment on the Yoke and sleeves part. The embroidered lace border blends seamlessly with the rest of the attire and adds an elegant look. This one is sure to earn you a bunch of compliments at the upcoming party!
- Design: Red Floor Length Anarkali With Embroidered Border
- Fabric: Cotton Silk
- Best Occasion To Wear: Weddings, Receptions, Birthday Parties
- Suitable Body Type: Hourglass Shaped Women
3. Plain Cotton Salwar Kameez:
Check out this pretty pastel pink Kurta, which is a treat to sore eyes. The soothing hue of the Kurta gives a pleasant feeling on a treacherous Monday morning! It can also be an inspiration to go to work! The plain Kurta has a collar, button panel and half sleeves. It is matched with a pair of printed pencil pants for some quirkiness!
- Design: Pastel Pink Plain Kurta With Printed Pencil Pant
- Fabric: Cotton
- Best Occasion To Wear: Office, College, Daily Wear
- Suitable Body Type: Petite, Tall and Athletic Women
4. Plain Georgette Salwar Kameez:
Say hello to this modern-day Salwar suit which comes with an attached cape. The ankle-length Anarkali in Navy blue is kept plain in flowing georgette. A separate cape section is added on the shoulder, which falls on your body like a dream. It has subtle thread work in white colour, which elevates the total look of this outfit!
- Design: Plain Navy Blue Cape Style Georgette Salwar Suit
- Fabric: Georgette
- Best Occasion To Wear: Evening Parties, Gatherings
- Suitable Body Type: Heavy Busted, Apple Shaped Women
5. Plain Kameez With Printed Salwar:
Check out this stunning Pink suit, which looks like a freshly bloomed garden! The plain short Kurta is complemented with a beautifully printed Patiala and Dupatta set. Instead of keeping the neckline plain, leaf patterns are cut on it to go along with the floral theme. Wear this outfit with a pair of Jutis and show your swag!
- Design: Plain Pink Kurta with Printed Salwar and Dupatta
- Fabric: Cotton mix
- Best Occasion To Wear: College Wear, Kitty Parties
- Suitable Body Type: Apple Shaped Women
6. Plain Punjabi Salwar Suit:
This Lilac Palazzo set is exactly what you need on a hot summer day! The pleasant shade of the outfit, along with its relaxed fit, can keep you comfortable even for longer hours. The plain dress is adorned with golden Mukaish work all over, for a little sparkle! Pair it with some trendy jewellery and high heels for a fab look!
- Design: Plain Lilac Kurta and Palazzo Set
- Fabric: Georgette
- Best Occasion To Wear: Small Gatherings, Brunches
- Suitable Body Type: Rectangle and Pear Shaped Women
7. Plain Silk Salwar Suit:
Stunner Alert! Take a look at this bottle green, floor-length Anarkali, which is the next best thing to wearing a heavy saree. Made with art silk, the outfit has a rich sheen, that makes it perfect for any grand events. It is kept plain from top to bottom, except for those shiny gold buttons. The contrast coloured, Red Bandhani dupatta adds a much-needed drama!
- Design: Bottle Green Plain Silk Anarkali Suit
- Fabric: Art Silk
- Best Occasion To Wear: Weddings, Night Parties
- Suitable Body Type: Apple ShapedBodies
8. Plain Pakistani Salwar Kameez Design:
This mustard yellow Pakistani suit is too good to resist! This is a twisted version of the conventional Salwar suit designs, which is specially created for young girls. The frock style Kurta is paired with wide Palazzo pants and a lovely netted dupatta. The entire outfit is kept plain, sparing the Gota highlights for a special look!
- Design: Mustard Yellow Pakistani Salwar Suit
- Fabric: Cotton
- Best Occasion To Wear: Day Events, Sangeeth, Mehendi Functions
- Suitable Body Type: Apple, Pear Shaped Bodies
9. Plain Patiala Salwar Kameez:
Even on the dullest days of your life, this bright pink Patiala suit is sure to uplift your moods and renew your spirits. The typical Punjabi kudi look is achieved with an all-plain design of the Kurta and the Salwar. A matching Dupatta is added to this set which is adorned with golden lace on the borders. Wear it with gold colour accessories and Jutis to dance your way to glory!
- Design: Bright Pink Plain Patiala Salwar Suit
- Fabric: Cotton Silk
- Best Occasion To Wear: Sangeeth, Kitty Parties
- Suitable Body Type: Pear Shaped Bodies
That’s not all! We have an added surprise for all those handsome men, who love to experiment with fashions!
10. Men’s Plain Salwar Kameez:
Why should women have all fun? Men can embrace this style too and keep up with the times! Take a look at this sky blue, plain Salwar suit which is ideal for the balmy weathers. Made with fine Linen material, the Kurta gives you comfort, without compromising on style. A pair of cotton Churidar pants are added for a complete look!
- Design: Light Blue Plain Linen Kurta Set For Men
- Fabric: Linen Cotton
- Best Occasion To Wear: Indian formal occasions, Casual wear
- Suitable Body Type: Tall, Well-built men
How To Style Plain Salwar Suits?
If you ever thought that wearing a plain salwar can make you look old-fashioned, you are so wrong! These designs are a boon to any woman, who loves to experiment with her looks, every single day. Here are some expert style tips to help you ace the style game:
- Before picking up a dress, understand the season and weather, rather than the time of the day.
- For summers, go for lighter hues like pastels, which can give you a fresh feel. Wear them with a white or beige bottom. Replace your dupatta with a printed scarf and wear floral based jewellery.
- In dull weathers, keep your colour palate bright and bold. Red, Pinks and Yellows work like a charm on drabby days. Go for contrast coloured dupattas or chose an embroidered jacket for a layered look.
- If you are planning to rock this trend in your best friend’s wedding, invest in rich Chunaris like Kanjeevaram, Bandhani, Benares or Leheriya, which transform your modest outfit into a designer ensemble.
- You can also for a top to bottom co-ordinated look, using the same material and colour salwar, kurta and dupatta. In this case, statement jewellery can enhance your overall appearance and make you look sophisticated.
Those are some of the best Plain Salwar suits, which are handpicked just for you! These designs give you a much-needed break from the chaos of the highly decorative outfits. They are simple, elegant and honest in their looks. So, if you want to do a mini fashion detox from your melodramatic outfits, try these outfits and do follow the style tips as well! Time to take the “Less is more” route!