Darjeeling is a famous hot spot or should we say a cool zone where people from all over the world gather. As you walk down the lanes and by lanes of this majestic place, you would be welcomed with smiles and chatter. The morning sunrise at Tiger Hill, the snow capped mountains in the background, and the pleasant cool breeze all year round, it is indeed a treat to be in Darjeeling anytime of the year.
You would find a lot of trekking expeditions and adventure tours taking you all over Darjeeling. Even newly married couples from all over the world come to Darjeeling to spend romantic moments with one another. Some of the famous places for trekking and sight seeing include
b. The Himalayan Mountaineering Institute Zoo.
c. Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park.
d. Aloobari Gompa.
e. Bhutia Busty Gompa.
f. Ghoom Monastery.
g. The famous Japanese Peace Pagoda.
j. Lava and Lolegaon.
Best Leisure Place:
Darjeeling has a lot to offer the hungry traveller, and who wouldn’t want to soak into the sights of the Kanchenjunga range or spend a moment sipping hot tea at the Tiger Hill, watching the sun dance its way to usher in the day? Even children love Darjeeling, and testimony to the fact would be the famous Toy Train, Bollywood loves the train journeys too.
When is the right time to be there?
Darjeeling has its arms open for travellers all year round, and this is why it is called the Queen Of Hill Stations. Right from the rich and abundant tea estates to soaking in the amalgamation of culture and ethics, and rubbing shoulders with the locals over a cup of hot piping Darjeeling tea, one can never say this is the right time to make a trip there.
It is mostly when the rains hit Darjeeling that tourists flock this destination all the more. Some come to spend a weekend, some travel the length and breadth of the land, while the rest while away time in rafting, trekking and exploring the high mountains. It is at this time when the temperatures range between fifteen to twenty degrees Celsius, bringing in a mystical panache of sorts, plenty of fog and wetness due to the heavy rains around.
If you aren’t a fan of the heavy rains, you could also come into Darjeeling during the months of early September to late June, which spans the seasons of autumn, winter, spring and summer, respectively.
During these months, you would find the temperature ranging from twenty to twenty five degrees, and if you yearn for the cold, wait till November when it gets fifteen degrees and lower. From December to January, it goes all the way down to one degree at times and stays hovering to around eight degrees Celsius, perfect for those who want to have a romantic weekend!
Summers In Darjeeling:
In Darjeeling, summer months are short lived and the temperature reaches up to twenty five degrees on a bright summer day. The season for summer is from early April to June, and there are enough cool winds too keep you comfortable too.
Monsoons In Darjeeling:
It is from July to August when the monsoon season is at its peak in the hill station. This is when the tourists who love rain, flock here.
Winter In Darjeeling:
Perfect for honeymooners and lovers, families and large or small groups of friends too, winters can get cold, and really cold but fun as well. the hill station is clad in fog and possible snow showers too, and temperatures in the recent past have gone below zero degrees as well. early November to late February is when you have winters happening.
Beautiful Darjeeling Tourist Places To Visit:
We mentioned about the varied places of interests as we began speaking to you about Darjeeling, however, here are some of the trendiest and beautiful tourist places to visit in Darjeeling. Hence please read on and be well-informed.
1. The Famous Ghoom Monastery:
- 8 km from Darjeeling
- Major attraction
- Founded in 1875 by a Mongolian monk
- Also called Yiga choeling Gompa
- Has the ‘Maitreya Buddha’ statue
- Decorated with ornate thanka scrolls and bells, drums too
2. The Observatory Hill Darjeeling:
- Famously known amongst the locals as Makal-Babu-Ko-Thaan.
- The oldest site in Darjeeling.
- Historically rich.
- Mythological connections to the Lord Indra’s scepter (Dorje).
- Famous amongst Hindu and Buddhist devotees alike.
See More: Ladakh Places To Visit
3. The Happy Valley Tea Garden:
This one of the best and most beautiful Darjeeling places to visit with wonderful sceneries.
- Famous hot spot in Darjeeling
- Tea estates in large numbers
- Tour of tea manufacturing possible here
- Astounding scenario
- 3 kms from Darjeeling
- Not open on Mondays to public
4. The Mahakal Temple:
- Highly revered and respected amongst locals.
- Lord Brahma, Vishnu and Maheshwar are the deities worshiped here.
- Famous amongst Hindus and Buddhists.
- Perfect for spirituality and tranquillity.
See More: Places To Visit In Chennai
5. The Famous Senchal Lake:
- 11kms from the heart of the city, Darjeeling
- Biggest lake around
- Near the famous Tiger Hills
- 8515 ft above sea level
- Picturesque scenery and breath taking flora and fauna around
- Perfect destination for honeymooners. This is one of the best and most beautiful Darjeeling tourist places to visit with family.
6. The Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, Darjeeling:
- Explore the thrills of the mountains here
- Adventure activities galore
- Trekking expeditions, rafting and more
- Oldest mountaineering institute
- Trains people on mountaineering skills
See More: Tourist Places In Agra
7. The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway:
- UNESCO World Heritage
- Famously known as TOY TRAIN
- Runs on steam
- Narrow gauge
- Wonders of engineering and human grit defined
- From Darjeeling to Ghoom
- Holds special memories for many
If this information has caught your fancy, we would ask you to do some research and homework before booking your tickets. You could take a flight, a train or maybe if you stay close by, a bus too. Darjeeling is to be discovered and just a simple explanation here wouldn’t do justice. The queen needs to be honored and respected, so come and pay a visit, the hill station calls.
This is the highest peak in West bengal and can be said to be one of the best places to see in Darjeeling for sightseeing. It is a feast for the eyes and trekking is one of the most practiced activities here. Sandakphu is also the highest point of the Singalila range.
- It is popular for the natural beauty surrounding it.
- One of the most popular tourist spots in India.
- Hiking facilities are available from the base point and there are tons of facilities for the travelers and tourist who visit this place yearly.
- Sandakphu trek is the common term used when people visit this place.
9. The Himalayan Mountaineering Zoo:
Apart from the The Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, there is a zoo as well which is one of the best tourist destinations in Darjeeling.
- The zoological park is pretty interesting and attracts people from all over the neighboring states.
- The place is located inside the premises of the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute.
- The place opens at around 9pm and closes on dot 6pm.
- There are a lot of activities and well-organized facilities available for the kids.
Want to visit some awesome places near Darjeeling? Kalimpong is one of the most famous tourist spots in Darjeeling. Here are some interesting facts about this place.
- This is a popular hill station is West Bengal
- The place is located at a height of around 1200meters.
- The district is one of the most well-maintained and clean and tidy places in whole of Darjeeling.
- There are a lot of things to see and to do in this place. Here, one can find tons of beautiful activities that will be effective time-killers.
- Rope way rides are available here as well.
11. Aloobari Gompa Monastery:
If you’re in need of some beautiful tourist places in Darjeeling, then this is one of the best places available here. The monastery is filled with amazing sights and the surrounding view of this place is quite beautiful as well.
- The place is built with colorful bricks and the stones used in are painted beautifully.
- The blue stoned-walls make this place look even more attractive.
- Lot of chances to click pictures.
- Historical and lovely place, according to visitors.
One of the most beautiful tourist places in Darjeeling is Mirik. It is famous because of its high-end:
- Picturesque tourist spots
- Scenic hills
- Natural beauty
And many more. The place is filled with beautiful sites and monasteries. Darjeeling is one of the best places to see in West Bengal and Mirik makes it even more amazing. The are nearby monasteries in this place which help to keep the religious vibe on.
13. Lava And Loleygaon Tours:
These are two mountain hamlets which can said to be one of the best places to see in Darjeeling.
- This sightseeing place is located real close to Kalimpong.
- The place is surrounded by forest and there is a lot of chances to get a great view of the surrounding natural beauty.
- Lava is located at an altitude of 7,700ft and Loleygaon is located at a altitude of 5,500ft. Both the mountains are really beautiful and it can be said to be one of the best places to see in Darjeeling.
- People often visit this place as it is on-route to Kalimpong.
- Tour facilities are also available from the base point.
- Tourist-care is really impressive.
14. The Japanese Peace Pagoda:
- It stands as a symbol of peace and unity.
- The place is very beautifully made and is actually considered as a heritage site.
- The building is located not more than 10mins away from the Town Center of Darjeeling.
- Facilities for entering and parking for the cars have been developed here. This has led to the increased popularity of this place.
15. Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park:
- The park is located in a town in Darjeeling.
- The zoo in this park was opened in the year 1958.
- This zoo is located at an altitude of 7000feet which is the highest zoo in the country. No such zoo can reach the altitude of this place in India. This is one of the best tourist places in Darjeeling with wonderful experience.
Here were some of the best tourist destinations in Darjeeling. These places are famous tourist spots and some of them are popular heritage points as well. All of them are very well maintained and are well organized for the tourists as well. People visit Darjeeling, especially, for visiting places like the ones discussed in this article.