Pimples are an annoying problem for both girls and boys equally. They are at a loss of not knowing how to treat them and make it go away. Sometimes there are crucial days when you want your face to look clear and presentable and alone pimple makes its appearance to mar the overall look. Toothpaste offers an easy solution to make them go away. Toothpaste on pimples or acne work wonders. It has certain ingredients like baking soda, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, triclosan, menthol, and essential oils that dry out pimples. Let us read further to know what is the best toothpaste for pimples, and how to cure pimples with toothpaste, how to get rid of acne overnight with toothpaste, how to use it, and much more.
Benefits Of Toothpaste for Acne/Pimple
Toothpaste is readily available at all times. Even if you are away at home, vacation, or travel, toothpaste can easily be acquired. Most people have a doubt, does toothpaste get rid of pimples? Is toothpaste good for pimples? So let us share a few benefits of using toothpaste on a pimple and acne.
- Dries out pimples.
- Reduces swelling.
- Lessens the redness.
- Antimicrobial (triclosan) found it toothpaste kills bacteria that causes acne.
- Inexpensive spot treatment.
Which Toothpaste Should One Use?
Choosing the right toothpaste is very important as it can directly affect your skin. In today’s market, there are many different kinds of toothpaste available. All these contain multiple ingredients that can negatively impact your skin. Choose the plain white toothpaste and go for it as it contains baking soda, triclosan hydrogen peroxide, etc. The ingredients in this paste work effectively on acne.
- Avoid gel-based toothpaste on pimples. Gel-based toothpaste lacks the active ingredients and thereby not good for the skin.
- Avoid teeth whitening toothpaste. This kind of toothpaste contains bleaching agents and can burn the skin. If this paste is used on the skin, the blemishes and scars will appear darker, and there is a risk of chemical burn too.
- Choose a toothpaste with lower fluoride content. Fluoride helps in removing dental plaque and gum diseases. However, some can be allergic to this ingredient when applied topically and end up with a rash.
- It is best to go in for organic toothpaste. Organic toothpaste does not contain fluoride. It has natural soothing ingredients, which helps to treat acne.
How To Use Toothpaste for Acne?
Getting rid of acne with toothpaste is an easy task provided it is done in the right manner. Else, it will have a negative impact and will harm the skin. Before using toothpaste on the skin in any manner, your skin should be clean and dry. Cleanse the face with water and use a suitable face wash. Pat dry the skin gently with a towel. Here are some ways on how to use toothpaste to remove pimples.
1. Apply Toothpaste Directly:
Never apply toothpaste on the complete face. Apply a small amount on the pimple itself and avoid the surrounding layer. It is always safer to do a patch test on the hand beforehand to know if it reacts adversely with your skin type.
- White toothpaste.
- Squeeze a small pea-sized amount of toothpaste on a clean finger.
- Apply it on the pimple directly.
- Leave the toothpaste for an hour or overnight.
- Wash gently with water.
How Often: This can be 2-3 times a week.
- Use it only in the night.
- Always do a patch test before.
2. Toothpaste and Baking Soda for Pimples:
Baking soda is a well known anti-inflammatory agent. It reduces the swelling and redness of the pimple. How to use toothpaste to remove pimples is very simple. Toothpaste in combination with baking soda dries out the acne and reduces the size.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda.
- Mix baking soda and a pea-sized toothpaste well.
- Blend it well.
- Wash your face with a suitable wash and warm water to open the pores and loosen up the dirt.
- Apply the paste only over the pimples.
- Allow it to remain for 20 minutes or overnight.
- Wash the face with cold water.
- Towel dry and apply a suitable moisturizer.
How Often: You may use it once or twice a week.
3. Lemon and Toothpaste for Pimples:
Lemon has astringent properties that help to dry acne and pimples. In combination with toothpaste, it offers quick relief from painful acne. It gives the solution to the question is toothpaste good for pimples?
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- A pea-sized amount of toothpaste.
- Add toothpaste and lemon juice in a clean bowl.
- Mix well to make a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste over the pimple.
- Let it dry for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Wash with fresh water, towel dry it, and apply a suitable moisturizer.
How Often: Use it twice a week before bedtime for good results.
Precautions, If Any: There can be a tingling sensation with this pack. However, if one experiences too much burning, then it is advisable to wash it off immediately with cold water.
4. Salt and Toothpaste for Acne:
Salt helps in the maintenance of PH balance and works as an exfoliator. Scrubbing gently over the pimple helps in cleaning the dirt and oil. Using this for a few days will show you how to get rid of pimples with toothpaste. This toothpaste and salt pack will clear your skin, and pimples/acne will soon begin to fade away.
- A pinch of salt.
- Pea-sized toothpaste.
- Mix salt and toothpaste in a clean bowl.
- Whisk it well to blend it and make a smooth paste.
- Use your fingertips to apply the paste over the pimples.
- Use it as a scrub over the pimples for a few minutes.
- Wash it with clean water and towel dry.
- Apply a suitable moisturizer when done.
How Often: You can use it twice a week for good results.
Precaution, If Any: Scrub it very gently. Roughly doing this can leave scars on the face.
5. Ice and Toothpaste for Pimples:
Another easy way on how to use toothpaste to remove pimples is to use ice. Ice will cool the irritation and pain in the pimple. It will also reduce the redness of acne in combination with toothpaste.
- A few ice cubes.
- Pea-sized toothpaste.
- Cloth to wrap ice cube.
- Wrap the ice cubes in a clean towel.
- Apply the toothpaste on the pimples.
- Hold the ice-pack on the toothpaste applied pimple for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Wash it with water and towel dry gently.
- Apply a soft moisturizer on damp skin.
How Often: Use this on alternate days for best results.
- Use Colgate or Sensodyne toothpaste for best results.
- Always be gentle while treating it.
- Ensure to do a patch test without fail before using a pack.
- Note that toothpaste does not suit everyone. For those with sensitive skin, please avoid using it.
- Please stop immediately if it has adverse effects.
- Never squeeze your pimple before applying toothpaste.
- Mint toothpaste can be tried for these treatments.
- Always wash toothpaste with cold water for better results.
All the toothpaste packs have been tried and tested on different skin types; however, each type of skin can react differently. We have tried to explain the best toothpaste suitable for acne, how to get rid of pimples with toothpaste, and much more. I hope this helps you effectively. Please do share with us your feedback on which pack worked best for you. Ensure to follow a few tips to prevent acne – drink plenty of water, avoid oily food, eat healthy, keep your face and hands clean, etc.