Summer holidays bring memories of our childhood trips, and we all continue with the tradition with our kids. But dark inner thighs are stopping you from sporting your favourite pair of shorts or bikini? Hyperpigmentation in your inner thighs not only affects your self-confidence but also causes embarrassment for us. But worry no more! Several home remedies for dark inner thighs are explained in this article that helps fade those dark colourations.
Irrespective of the reason, with shorts weather fast approaching, try these home remedies to get rid of the dark inner thighs naturally.
Causes Of Dark Inner Thighs:
Regardless of complexion, anyone can develop dark inner thighs. Medically referred to as hyperpigmentation, the excess production of melanin can be one of the main reasons that cause dark inner thighs. Some of the causes that darken inner thighs are:
- Sweaty or wet clothes may cause chafing while you are walking.
- Oral hormonal contraceptives.
- Chemotherapy drugs.
- Overexposure to sunlight.
- Friction caused by tight clothing.
- Dry skin.
- The chances of getting dark inner thighs increase with the following risk factors:
- There is a risk of increased chafing with obesity.
- Imbalances in hormones.
- Medical conditions like acanthosis nigricans or diabetes.
- If you stay out in the sun for long periods due to your occupation.
Home Remedies For Dark Inner Thighs:
Dark inner thighs make you extraordinarily self-conscious and hesitant, limiting your choice of clothing. We will help you lighten your dark inner thighs with some natural alternatives.
If you have sensitive skin, this potato home remedy lightens your inner thighs. Potato is rich in starch, and vitamins A and C nourish your skin and reduce the pigmentation in the inner thigh area (1). Although there are several ways you can use potatoes, this is the simple one to minimise discoloration.
- One potato.
- Slice the potato into thin slices.
- Gently rub the potato slices in the discolored areas.
- Rub it for a few minutes.
- Let the juice stay for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Use tap water to rinse it off thoroughly.
2. Aloe Vera:
Aloe vera is another home remedy to get rid of dark inner thighs and is readily available anywhere. Its leaf can help with the skin lightening with its melanin aggregating effects naturally (2).
- The required amount of fresh aloe vera gel.
- Take an aloe vera leaf.
- Now gently scrape off the gel from the leaf.
- Use a fork to blend the gel thoroughly.
- Now apply the aloe vera gel to the dark inner thighs evenly.
- Let it stay for about 30 minutes.
- Use tap water to rinse off the gel.
- You can refrigerate the gel for further use.
- Use this remedy once a day for effective results.
[ Also Read: Benefits of Aloe Vera for Skin ]
3. Baking Soda:
If you have a dry and scaly skin, baking soda acts as a mild exfoliant. It helps remove scaly skin by increasing the PH of the skin with its alkaline nature. Baking soda helps remove darkness from the inner thighs if dry skin is the cause of it.
- One to two cups of baking soda.
- Fill your bathtub with water.
- Add the baking soda to it.
- Let it dissolve.
- Soak yourself in the baking soda water for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Dry your skin with a soft towel.
- Don’t forget to apply the moisturiser.
- For effective results, use this remedy every alternate day.
Caution: Baking soda can be harsh for some skin types; therefore, it is better not to overdo this remedy.
4. Oatmeal Yogurt Scrub:
The combination of oatmeal and yoghurt form a scrub making it one of the best home remedies to get rid of dark skin between thighs. Yogurt is a good source of a compound called L-cysteine that helps eliminate dark inner thighs (3). At the same time, oatmeal prevents drying of your skin and lightens the dark inner thighs caused by sun exposure (4).
- 1 tbsp of oatmeal.
- One tbsp of yogurt.
- One tbsp of lemon juice.
- Take a bowl and add all the ingredients to it.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly, forming a smooth paste.
- Gently apply the paste to the inner thighs.
- Leave it for about 30 minutes.
- Use water to rinse off the paste.
- Use this remedy twice or thrice a week for effective results.
5. Sugar Scrub:
Sugar scrubs eliminate the accumulated dead skin cells in the inner thigh area, which might cause skin darkening. The sugar scrub exfoliates your skin gently, which rids the area of any dead skin cells, thereby lightening thoroughly (5).
- One tbsp of granulated sugar.
- One tbsp of coconut oil.
- Take a bowl and add granulated sugar and coconut oil to it.
- Mix the contents thoroughly.
- Gently use the scrub on the affected area for exfoliation.
- Follow this procedure for about two minutes.
- Use water to rinse it off.
- Use this remedy twice or thrice a week for effective results.
6. Coconut Oil:
Coconut oil has protective effects and moisturising and soothing properties that are very beneficial for the skin (6). It is also handy for dark inner thighs caused by dry and chafed skin. Use this readily available remedy to lighten your inner thighs.
- One tbsp of virgin coconut oil.
- Use a small cotton ball to apply the coconut oil to the affected area gently.
- Let the coconut oil dry off.
- This remedy is helpful if you use it once or twice daily.
[ Also Read: Unknown Benefits of Coconut Oil for Skin ]
7. Lemon Juice:
Lemon juice acts as a natural skin lightening agent since it is a rich source of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) (7). Vitamin C decreases the melanin synthesis in the inner thigh area, thereby reducing the internal thigh pigmentation.
- ½ slice of lemon.
- Cotton balls.
- Take a bowl and squeeze the juice from half the lemon.
- Take a cotton ball and apply the juice to the affected area.
- You should dilute the lemon juice with an equal volume of water if you have sensitive skin.
- Please leave it in the affected area for about 20 minutes.
- You can try this remedy once a day for the desired results.
8. Turmeric Paste For Dark Inner Thighs:
Turmeric is one of the commonly available and used spices in many Indian households. It inhibits melanogenesis and lightens dark inner thighs due to an active compound called curcumin (8).
- A few drops of water.
- One tbsp of turmeric.
- Take a bowl and add the ingredients to it.
- Mix them thoroughly; you can add additional water to form a smooth paste.
- Gently apply the paste to the inner thigh area.
- Please leave it in the affected area for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Use water to rinse the paste off.
- You can use this remedy once a day for efficient results.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Obesity is one of the root causes of dark inner thighs, and regular consumption of apple cider vinegar helps you battle obesity and lose weight efficiently. Apple cider vinegar helps reduce oxidative damage to your skin with its antioxidant properties (9).
- Two tbsp of organic ACV.
- One tbsp of water.
- Cotton balls.
- Take a small bowl and add the ingredients to it.
- Combine them thoroughly.
- Take a cotton ball and apply the diluted solution to the affected area.
- Leave it on the inner thighs for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Use tap water to rinse it off.
- You can use this remedy once a day for effective results.
10. Almond Oil:
Almond oil has emollient properties that help treat dry skin and also improve the skin tone and complexion to a great extent. Use this remedy involving almond oil to reduce the dark skin between thighs (10).
- Almond oil as per the need.
- Dip your fingertips in some almond oil.
- Now apply the oil to the affected area gently.
- Let it dry.
- You can use this remedy once or twice a day for effective results.
With the home remedies for dark inner thighs mentioned in this article, you will be able to lighten them significantly. Consult a doctor to determine the root cause and get treatment of the dark inner thighs if the tips and remedies don’t give you the required results. There is nothing wrong with having a set of home remedies up your sleeve that will assist you in lightening your inner thighs. Don’t forget to let us know if the tips have helped you!