Be it the case of dry hair, oily hair, frizzy or brittle hair, or even curly messy hair, one answer and catch to have magical results of smooth, silky look is the hair serum. Hair serums are famous across the globe, from generations for their power of giving a whole new look to our hair. But often, we get sceptical about using such harsh or chemical products from the market! We understand this concern, and that is why we are here with a guide on how to use hair serum through homemade ingredients.
These natural DIY products are also as useful as the market ones. They help us achieve shiny, silky, and well-moisturized hair in no time. If you are thinking about what these are and how to prepare and apply the hair serum, keep reading!
Benefits of Using Hair Serum:
Hair serums are light, silicone-based substance products that are used to apply and coat on the outer surface of the hair. These do not go into hair roots or cuticles, but rather work on surface smoothness and silkiness of hair(1). The hair serums are prepared and used for several hair concerns, ranging from hair fall, curly and messy hair, frizzy and brittle hair, or damaged hair(2). Here are the significant benefits of using hair serum.
- The pollutants and dust, dirt often tend to break the hair or make it look unhealthy. Hair serums help to protect hair against dirt.
- Hair serum helps to work on smoothening and softening the surface of the hair. It reduces tangles and gives a healthier look.
- It also helps to protect hair against sun damage, when we step out of the home.
- Stickiness and hair fall concerns also can be reduced effectively by the regular usage of serums on hair.
- Any concerns of low hair natural oils or dryness, including damaged hair, can be treated easily with hair serums. They help moisturize hair and give nourished hair.
- Last but not least, if you are a regular user of styling tools and heating equipment to style hair serum will not only help you against hair damage but also work wonders in protecting the natural oils within the hair.
How to Apply and How Much Hair Serum to Use on Hair:
Once we know the immense benefits of applying the serum to healthy hair, we should also know what right and correct way of applying it and using them. Often, we get loaded on doubts on when and how to use this, method of putting, how much quantity to work on. Application methods matter to get all benefits in the right manner. Here are some tips!
- Firstly, if you want to go to market-based brands, check on chemical ingredients within them. Do not choose the products which have harsh and numerous list of chemicals in them. Further, we recommend you to go with serum as per your hair concerns.
- However, natural homemade serums can be prepared (we will get to this in the next sections). They are equally nourishing.
- Once you wash hair with shampoo and conditioner, let it towel dry.
- Apply serum to hair when the hair is little damp (not too wet hair).
- Take the serum on your palm (a pea-sized drop would suffice). Rub it in between your palms.
- Apply on the surface of your hair from beginning tips to ends. Do not apply to the roots and scalp.
- Take the hair in small sections and comb it thoroughly. When hair is damp, we recommend using a paddle broad tooth comb/brush.
Note: Do not reapply serums too many times in the intervals between rewashing your hair. It is best recommended to use serums on washed hair.
How to Use Homemade DIY Hair Serums for Different Hair Types:
Given that we have seen what the benefits of hair serum are and how to apply it for best results, it is essential to also make a note on natural and easy to make DIY serums for those battling with different hair concerns. Here are some magic ingredients which can alter the way your hair is!
1. Hair Serum for Oily Hair:
It is a huge myth if you assume that oily hair and oily scalp people should not use hair serums. The natural oils in the hair should be controlled, and for this, hair serums are required. Light oils such as jojoba oil or coconut oil are best in this case, which helps to regulate the excess sebum from glands and yet works wonders to get back to normal texture.
- Coconut or jojoba oil.
- Any other essential oil (preferably lemon, peppermint oils).
- Mix a few drops of essential oil (of your choice) with 100ml of jojoba or coconut oil.
- Shake them both well and store them in a tight bottle. We advise storing in a dark place too.
- After a week, begin to apply this as a serum on damp hair.
- Do not use this hair serum very often. Apply in twice a week, at most.
2. Hair Serum for Dry Hair:
Dry hair concern is most common these days, given that we all step out and get hold of all pollutants and dirt stuck to our hair. The result is a damaged and unhealthy texture. Use this hair serum for dry hair to help get back to smooth, shiny hair, along with treating other concerns such as damages and split ends. Castor oil helps in fatty acids, proteins and vitamins to get soft, lustrous hair in no time.
- Castor oil.
- Essential oils such as lavender oil or rosewood oil.
- Mix a few drops of both oils and fill in an airtight bottle with a tight screw.
- Make sure the consistency is light.
- Massage this on damp hair.
Tips: You can massage this serum even every alternative day for the best results.
[ Also Read: Best Hair Serums for Dry Hair ]
3. Shiny and Smooth Hair:
We all dream of having the smooth, fairytale kind of look, isn’t it. Here is one fantastic natural method to get hold of glossy hair. Here is how to transform dull hair to perfect shiny hair in no time, with all ingredients. With the usage of these essential and medical oils, your hair only will get smoother, beautiful and glossy, with extra shine. Avocado oil has proteins and vitamins, with folic acids, and oils like almond oil, jojoba has the goodness of fatty acids, minerals to help get a healthy texture to hair. You can use this as a natural and effective hair serum for men.
- Avocado oil.
- Jojoba oil.
- Argan oil.
- Grapeseed oil.
- Almond oil.
- Take four tbsp. of avocado oil and two tbsp.. of all other oils in a small bowl and stir well.
- Pour it and store it in a tight container.
- Use this serum to dampen hair every time after hair wash.
Tips: Only apply this to damp hair and not other days. You can use it any number of times.
4. Frizzy Hair:
The worst hair concern ever is to have frizzy hair. Be it due to dust and pollution, or bad weather or innate texture of your hair, now wave goodbye to the frizziness with this natural DIY Hair serum. With vitamin E, coconut oil and other gels/oils, you get all vitamins, lauric acid, fatty acids and nutrients to the health of overall hair. This can be applied even as a serum on curly hair to reduce tangles.
- Jasmine or rose essential oil (10 drops).
- Coconut oil (2 tbsp).
- Aloe vera gel (10tbsp).
- Rosewater (2 tbsp).
- Vitamin E oil (1 tbsp).
- Blend all the ingredients well into the bowl.
- Make sure there are no crumps.
- Transfer them into the tight jar.
- Now use this as a serum to damp hair after washing.
Tips: You can use this regularly and can see noticeable results in no time.
5. Hair Serum for Damaged Hair:
Are you a regular styling kind of person? Is your hair damaged due to regular styling, hair straightening and heat equipment on hair? This serum is a blessing in disguise. With Vitamin E, grapeseed and lavender oils, the antioxidants, minerals and proteins will penetrate in your hair and results in healthy and voluminous hair in no time. Apply this serum to help protect hair from the heat too.
- Grapeseed oil (4 tbsp).
- Vitamin E oil or capsules (1 tbsp or one capsule).
- Lavender oil (5 drops).
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Transfer to a jar and shake it well before use.
- Apply to hair and also scalp.
- Leave this mixture overnight.
Tips: You can use this as serum even before you wash your hair. Visible results will be there in no time.
Here are a few tips and do’s don’t’s to get the best results from these serums.
- Do not massage the serum on the scalp or even hair roots. Only work with an easy hand on your hair.
- Warm up the serum a bit before you apply, between your palms. This will bring on a seamless application.
- A little amount would suffice for one use. Do not overuse it or over apply it.
- Apply to freshly washed hair and damp hair for the best result.
- For best results, always pick serum as per the right hair texture and concern. You can see the results in no time. These can be applied even as hair growth serums.
With this guide on how to use, apply hair serum, we hope we have answered your query and hair concern. Make sure you follow this regularly for the best results. We all dream of healthy and lustrous hair, and you can make this possible all at your home, yourself, without spending bucks heavily for market products too. Let us know your thoughts!
[ Read More: 15 Best Hair Serums Available In India ]