Love – the four-letter word is what makes us a real human! It is a feeling of desire, passion and constant affection for another person. Although “love” can happen with anyone, including your family and friends, it’s more often associated with a soulmate or a life partner. In their presence, you experience a strange, indescribable sensation, which can give you butterflies in your belly.
The worst part of being in love is its complexity to express in words. You cannot directly tell them, “I love you,” especially if you are unsure about their reciprocation. Also, we find it too hard to put forth our inner emotions into simple sentences, for love is way too deep! To sort out things for you, we have compiled a set of love quotes by famous people, who have all fallen and risen in love!
Importance Of Quotes about Love:
We often find it too hard to articulate our feelings and express them directly to the person. Although a simple message like “I miss you” or “Love you so much” can be sent, it fails to create the right impact. Here is when love quotes make a crucial difference. They are phrased with beautiful and practical wordings to creatively express your innermost thoughts, without the fear of rejection.
Take a look at these beautiful love quotes which are sure to spread the magic of love between you and your partner:
Famous Love Quotes By Renowned People:
Listed below are some of the best love quotes in English, which are guaranteed to play the cupid for you! This treasure trove of witty and philosophical love phrases also teaches you about a variety of love experiences like happiness, sadness, anger, etc.,
1. William Shakespeare Quotes on Love:
Talking of love, how can we miss mentioning William Shakespeare! Regarded as one of the greatest English authors and playwrights ever, Shakespeare is a genius when it comes to the subject of love. In plays like “Romeo and Juliet”, “Othello”, “As You Like It” and also in many other sonnets, we can find the recurrent theme of romance and love. His love quotes are so popular that they are often used as wedding vows and proposal lines, even in today’s times.
- “Love is blind and lovers cannot see the pretty follies that themselves commit.”–The Merchant Of Venice
- “The sight of lovers feedeth those in love.” – As You Like It
- “Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” – A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- “Love is a smoke and is made with the fume of sighs.” – Romeo and Juliet
- “Lovers can do their amorous rites by their own beauties” – Romeo and Juliet
2. Gautama Buddha Love Quotes:
The teachings of Gautama Buddha are full of love, compassion, and the joy of life. According to him, true love doesn’t mean finding the partner of your dreams. For a relationship to be “true,” it has to display qualities of happiness, kindness, and freedom. Buddha also teaches how to lead a perfect love life by developing the habit of a thorough understanding of each other, their sufferings, their happiness, along with giving them freedom. Here are some of his best deep love quotes to inspire us:
- There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.
- You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
- Hatred does not cease through hatred at any time. Hatred ceases through love. This is an unalterable law.
- In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you.
- Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.
3. Love Quotes by John Keats:
Keats is one of the famous English poets of the Romantic period. Just like the other poets of his generation, he also used the themes of love and beauty in most of his works. Keats poetry, however, is very different from the rest of his peers, as they are self-experienced emotions than pure imagination. He also dealt with a lot of struggles in his love life, which is very evident in his poetry. His true love quotes show a melancholic outlook of the world and a sense of hopelessness.
- My love is selfish. I cannot breathe without you.
- A thing of beauty is a joy forever: Its loveliness increases; It will never Pass into nothingness.
- I love you the more in that I believe you had liked me for my own sake and for nothing else.
- Now a soft kiss – aye, by that kiss, I vow an endless bliss
- Love is a religion. I could die for that. I could die for you.
4. Percy Shelley Quotes on Love:
Another Romantic English poet, known for his love-themed poetry and writings is PB Shelley. His poem “Love’s Philosophy” is a classic example of his ideas and beliefs of the subject. He believes that everything in the world is connected to everything else and therefore, you must be ready to mingle with others. Shelley dexterously uses the elements of nature to explain his pain and agony for parting with his beloved. Here are some of his famous lines and short love quotes.
- The sunlight claps the earth, and the moonbeams kiss the sea: what are all these kissings worth, if thou kiss not me?
- All love is sweet, given or received…
- When the lute is broken, Sweet tones are remembered not; When the lips have spoken, Loved accents are soon forgot.
- Rose leaves, when the rose is dead,
Are heap’d for the belovèd’s bed;
And so thy thoughts, when thou art gone,
Love itself shall slumber on
- For love and beauty and delight, there is no death nor change.
See More: Quotes on Life by Famous Writers
5. Leo Tolstoy Quotes on Love:
Leo Tolstoy is a Russian author who has penned some of the most influential novels and short stories in the history of literature. His works touch upon several subjects, including love. He opines that love alone cannot be an absolute solution to all miseries of life. It is just a part of life, and not completely necessary for our survival. Tolstoy is also opposed to defining or finding reasons to explain our love for someone. Here are some his meaningful, friendship love quotes on :
- Respect was invented to cover the empty place where love should be.
- Only people who are capable of loving strongly can also suffer great sorrow, but this same necessity of loving serves to counteract their grief and heals them.
- You can love a person dear to you with a human love, but an enemy can only be loved with divine love.
- If one loves anyone, one loves the whole person, just as they are and not as one would like them to be…
- Every man knows that in the feeling of love there is something special, capable of solving all the contradictions of life and of giving to man that complete welfare, the striving after which constitutes his life. “But it is a feeling that comes but rarely, lasts only a little while, and is followed by still worse sufferings,” say the men who do not understand life.
6. Bob Marley Love Quotes:
Bob Marley is a famous Jamaican singer, who is also the first successful reggae artist from the third world countries. His songs are very inspirational and filled with words of courage. Marley positively used his demigod image to motivate his fans and followers on the beauty of love and life. He is also a great philosopher and share snippets of wisdom in the form of quotes. Even years after his death, his words continue to illuminate our minds.
- Live the life you love. Love the life you live.
- And don’t expect more than she can give. Smile when she makes you happy, let her know when she makes you mad, and miss her when she’s not there.
- Conquer the devils with a little thing called love.
- He’s not perfect. You aren’t either, and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold onto him and give him the most you can.
- If puss and dog can get together, why can’t we love one another?
7. George Eliot Quotes about Life:
George Eliot is the pen name of a woman called Mary Ann Evans. She chose this path to escape from societal judgments and stereotypes of the female authors of the Victorian era. Her works on love are quoted frequently by other authors and writers, as they portray realism. She tried to explore the realms and breaths of love and relationships without restricting herself to light romances. Listed below are some of her famous quotes on love and life.
- Anger and jealousy can no more bear to lose sight of their objects than love.
- Vanity is as ill at ease under indifference as tenderness is under a love which it cannot return.
- Blessed is the influence of one true, loving human soul on another.
- I like not only to be loved, but also to be told that I am loved. I am not sure that you are of the same mind. But the realm of silence is large enough beyond the grave. This is the world of light and speech, and I shall take leave to tell you that you are very dear.
- For what is love itself, for the one we love best? – an enfolding of immeasurable cares which yet are better than any joys outside our love.
8. Pablo Picasso Quotes on Love:
Picasso is unarguably one of the most celebrated painters, artist and sculptors of the 20th Century. Apart from his artistic side, there is another angle to Picasso, which is not very known to the general public. Picasso is known to seduce women and had romantic relationships with many. It is told that he was a jealous lover and a voracious sexual appetite. His quotes on love are as famous as his artworks.
- Love is the greatest refreshment in life.
- Art is not the application of a canon of beauty but what the instinct and the brain can conceive beyond any canon. When we love a woman we don’t start measuring her limbs.
- Love must be proven by facts and not reasons
Popular Quotes on Love By Influential Leaders, Authors and Celebrities:
We know that the lover in you is not satisfied with the list of quotes we made. So, we have gone the extra mile to collect some more heart touching lines on the subject of love, romance, and relationships, just for you! So, what are you waiting for? Read these love sayings to “immerse your soul in love”!
- Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. – Lao Tzu
- There is no remedy for love but to love more. – Henry David Thoreau
- I’m not saying that love always takes you to heaven. Your life can become a nightmare. But that said, it is worth taking the risk. Paulo Coelho
- The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves. Victor Hugo
- Love feels no burden, thinks nothing of trouble, attempts what is above its strength, pleads no excuse of impossibility; for it thinks all things lawful for itself, and all things possible. – Thomas a Kempis
- When you are missing someone, time seems to move slower, and when I’m falling in love with someone, time seems to be moving faster.- Oprah Winfrey
- There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment.― Sarah Dessen
- Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same. —Emily Bronte
- All’s fair in love and war. – Francis Edwards
- When you are missing someone, time seems to move slower, and when I’m falling in love with someone, time seems to be moving faster. – Taylor Swift
See More: Love Gifts
Funny Quotes About Love:
Life is too short to take everything seriously. Even if you had bitter experiences with love, it’s ok to take them lightly and add a bit of humor while sharing them with others. Listed below are some of the most hilarious and cute love quotes, which are sure to add some fun and laughter in your relationships:
- Romantic love is mental illness. But it’s a pleasurable one. – Fran Lebowitz
- Eighty percent of married men cheat in America. The rest cheat in Europe. – Jackie Mason
- Love is a lot like a backache, it doesn’t show up on X-rays, but you know it’s there. – George Burns
- Love is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
- True love comes quietly, without banners or flashing lights. If you hear bells, get your ears checked. – Erich Segal
See More: Quotes on Success by Famous Writers
Sad Love Quotes:
A breakup with your partner can suck the life out of you! Losing a person who you love the most, can make you feel really sad and dejected. Especially if it’s rejection, lack of attention, cheating or even death, the pain is unbearable and can take you into an emotional whirlpool. If you are in such situation, we advise you to read these “love hurts” quotes:
- It hurts to breathe because every breath I take proves I can’t live without you.
- I gave you my heart, I didn’t expect to get it back in pieces.
- My heart drops when I think about you being with someone else.
- It’s sad how someone can go from being the reason you wake up smiling, to the reason you cry yourself to sleep.
- I don’t know where I stand with him. And I don’t know what I mean to him. All I know is that every time I think of him, all I wanna do is be with him.
Famous “I love You” Romantic Quotes:
Tell your partner how much they mean to you with some lovely “I love you” quotes. These new love quotes capture your real feelings and emotions in a witty and emotional way. Plus, they come from the minds of famous personalities after their personal experiences and observations.
- “I love you” begins by I, but it ends up by you. ― Charles de Leusse
- “I saw that you were perfect, and so I loved you. Then I saw that you were not perfect and I loved you even more.” – Angelita Lim
- “When I say I love you more, I don’t mean I love you more than you love me. I mean I love you more than the bad days ahead of us, I love you more than any fight we will ever have. I love you more than the distance between us, I love you more than any obstacle that could try and come between us. I love you the most.” – Unknown
- The number 143 means ‘I love you.’ It takes one letter to say ‘I’ and four letters to say ‘love’ and three letters to say ‘you.’ One hundred and forty-three. ‘I love you.’ Isn’t that wonderful? Fred Rogers
- If I love you, I show you I love you every day. Little things, big things. Dwayne Johnson
Love Quotes for Him:
Make your man feel special by sending him romantic sayings about love. These quotes also work like secret messages, which convey feelings of your heart. They are also reminders on how much you love him and what his presence means to you. Take a look at these nice quotes about love for your man:
- I like your last name. Can I have it?
- His smile. His eyes. His lips. His hair. His laugh. His hands. His smirk. His humor. His weird face.
- When I tell you I love you, I am not saying it out of habit, I am reminding you that you are my life.
- He’s annoying he’s hilarious, he makes me yell, he drives me crazy, he’s out of his mind but he’s everything I want.
- “What’s so special about him?” “Nothing, it’s just that there’s nothing special without him.”
love Quotes for Her:
If you want to impress your lady love, a simple “I love you” alone will not do! Combine your feelings with impactful messages to show how much you value her in your life. Make her feel really special and cared for, by sending these adorable love sentences:
- For the first time, I’ve found someone I hate leaving. I found someone that I can’t get enough of. I found someone that accepts me for who I am. I think I’ve found someone who I can fall madly in love with.
- “When my girlfriend and I talk about being happy, I’ll get choked up, which I think is the greatest gift you can give a girlfriend.” – Seth Meyers
- I choose you. And I’ll choose you over and over and over. Without pause, without a doubt, in a heartbeat. I’ll keep choosing you.
- I love you, not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you.
- I want you to know that you have the most beautiful eyes and the most wonderful heart.
We hope these beautiful love quotes rekindled your fire for romantic and passionate relationships. If you are in love, you are very likely to get connected to each of these sayings. Along with giving some invaluable bits of advice on love life, these quotes also help us express ourselves better. It is a smart idea to pick a heart touching line with your personalized message and picture to impress your lover.