Gardening as a hobby is soaring in popularity. This is high because we’ve spent more time in our homes and yards, all thanks to the pandemic. As a result, gardening and gardening tools have become a part of our lives. Whether we want to grow our organic veggies or not want to put too many chemicals in our bodies, basic gardening tools are a must-have. Whether planting squash in a raised garden bed or planting tomatoes in a stand-up planter, with the best garden tools, you can have tasty and fresh veggies at your service.
In this article, we have curated a list of some of the best and most efficient gardening tools you can use in your home garden. Read on!
10 Best Gardening Tools Essentials for the Beginner Gardener:
Getting started on what tools to use can be confusing, especially if you are new to gardening. However, the right tools can help you have your dream garden, whereas the wrong ones can lead to wasted efforts and frustration. Therefore, go through the best gardening tools list and their importance and let your garden flourish.
1. Hand Trowel:
Trowels can be an essential garden hand tool when transplanting bedding plants and herbs, taking out weeds, and planting containers. Here are a few things you can keep in mind while buying a hand trowel:
- For digging up weeds or rocky soil, choose a narrow blade. Whereas if you wish to move more soil, select a broad blade.
- Ensure your hand can comfortably hold the handle.
- For a long-lasting product, choose a trowel forged from stainless steel.
2. Water Sprayers:
Even gardens need therapy, not only for humans; the treatment varies from plant to plant. For example, some plants might need spraying, soaking, and pouring, whereas others might need it in the mist. A sprayer is one of the essential gardening tools when you want to cater to the water requirements in your garden. Use a water sprayer to make your plants feel that it is raining happily. Here are some of the things you can do with the help of a water sprayer:
- As per the needs of each plant, you can water it.
- You will be able to provide the plants with a steady water supply.
- You can pour, soak, and spray water.
3. Watering Can:
A portable container to water plants by hand is called a watering can with a handle and a funnel. Though this product has been in use for many decades, there have been many improvements in its design. It has various benefits apart from watering plants and is a versatile tool. You can get the water cans in metal and plastic, with several nozzle options and hundreds of styles, sizes, and colours. Here are some important notes about watering cans to keep in mind:
- Though plastic cans are lighter, they won’t last long compared to metal.
- To resist rusting, metal cans should be galvanized.
- If you are buying a watering can for kids or the elderly, then choose two-handled designs.
Gloves are an essential gardening tool. However, although gardening is an entertaining hobby, the same hobby can turn into a thorny, splintery nightmare without a pair of gloves. Here are a few things you need to keep in mind while buying a gardening glove:
- When working with seeds or transplanting seedlings, choose gloves that are durable and not too bulky.
- To avoid accidents such as slipping off, buy gloves that fit perfectly.
- Choose gloves made with breathable and water-resistant fabric, which will keep you comfortable and relaxed.
- Finally, protect your forearms and wrists by choosing gloves with more extended cuffs.
5. Pruning Shears:
Pruning shears, otherwise called pruners, are specifically designed to cut plant stems and complex shrub branches and are heavy-duty scissors. Whether you are farming, flower arranging, or gardening, pruning shears are some essential gardening tools. They help you get control of your plants by reigning them in. Here are a few other things you should know about pruners:
- Anvil pruners are an ideal choice for dead wood. However, bypass pruners are better for green wood and live plants.
- Ratcheting pruners are ideal for people with arthritis or who have limited hand strength.
- Ensure to sharpen pruners regularly for cleaner cuts and less injury to plants.
6. Garden Fork:
One of the gardening tools for beginners with multiple uses is the garden fork, which is also considered a hardworking tool. A garden fork can be handy for creating holes for seeds, mixing in soil treatment, removing stones and weeds, softening the rugged ground, or breaking up compacted soil. Compared to a spade, a garden fork can easily penetrate any terrain with its sharp and robust tines. Furthermore, you can aerate your lawn by using a fork.
No gardening tool kit is complete without a spade, with a flat, long, narrow head and a long handle. A spade is more balanced than the standard shovel and has a thinner blade; it is used primarily for digging. You can divide shrubs, do trenching, edge beds and lawns, transplant plants, or perform any other task related to searching. Because of its long handle and flat head, you can carry out your gardening tasks smoothly with this multi-purpose tool.
A rake is one of the best gardening tools that helps you before planting by eliminating stones, rocks, and clogs from the ground. You can also gather debris, such as leaves and weeds, by levelling and smoothing the soil’s surface. Here are a few other things about a rake:
- A lightweight, fan-shaped rake can be an ideal choice when you want to sweep up leaves.
- A heavier-duty bow rake can be a perfect choice if you deal with stony ground.
- You can choose the rake that suits your needs since this gardening tool comes in different sizes.
9. Garden Hose:
A garden hose also called a hosepipe, is one of the most common gardening tools and helps provide water to the plants in your garden. Usually attached to a tap, several attachments are available for the hose’s end, such as sprinklers and sprayers. These attachments, in addition to the garden hose, can make watering your garden a convenient task. Depending on your specific purpose, you can choose the hose type.
A wheelbarrow can be the perfect solution when you are looking to ease the burden of moving gardening materials around your garden. You can easily transport your tools around the garden by lumping everything onto the wheelbarrow. This gardening tool can also carry heavy equipment, compost, or soil without hurting yourself.
Carrying the right gardening tools is the key to pursuing gardening, whether as a hobby or a profession. Choosing the right gardening tools for your tool kit can achieve better results while keeping your job easier and making your hobby a stress-buster. Therefore, without further ado, go through the list and choose wisely. Don’t forget to let us know if you found the article helpful!
1. What are the popular brands that manufacture garden tools in India?
Several companies manufacture garden tools in India. They are:
- Garden deco.
- Sharpex Engineering works.
- Love Petals.
- The Organic Life.
- Sanchit exports PVT. Ltd.
- Unison Engg. Industries.
- Surya nursery.
- Yadav Garden tools.
2. What are the tips that help you keep garden tools in good condition?
- Keeping your garden tools away from moisture is the key to maintaining your garden tools in good condition.
- Keep your tools away from anything that might cause your metal tools to degrade and rust, including morning dew, dirt or rain.
- Before storing your tools, clean them and dry them out completely.
- Since concrete floors can retain moisture, hanging tools like rakes or shovels on the walls is ideal.
- To keep your wooden handles in good condition, rub them with linseed oil from time to time.
3. Which tool in gardening is considered the most versatile?
A soil knife called a Hori Hori knife is the garden’s most versatile tool. It has multiple uses, including dividing perennial plants, cutting twines, opening plastic bags, or weeding.