With the wedding date fast approaching, we understand the trauma that every bride goes through! From makeup to outfit, everything has to be perfect, to the dot. Especially, your hair must be done in the right way to complement your designer outfit. Before you decide to go with the conventional “Poola Jadas”, we recommend trying these amazing Indian Bridal Hairstyles!
These hairstyles cater to all your unique fashion needs and special occasions, from a whimsical floral bun to a dramatic fishtail braid. So, go ahead and shortlist your favourite idea to look like the best Indian Bride ever!
40 Traditional Wedding Hairstyles for Indian Brides for 2023:
It’s a new beginning in your life, and you must start it with a bang! Create lasting memories by amping up your fashion game with these 30 popular ideas for Indian bridal hairstyles for women in 2023.
1. Thick Wavy Bridal Hairstyle:
If you have a wedding with many pre-wedding festivities, we get how important the hair and makeup part can be. We have this stunning floral bridal hairstyle for women. This beautiful look can fit into the pre-wedding functions for women with straight or wavy hair textures. The floral design can be matched with your outfit’s colour to look ravishing. What do you think?
2. Simple Indian Wedding Hairstyles:
This is an easy Indian bridal hairstyle to do yourself quickly. The beautiful look can be customized and enhanced as per your choice with floral or hair attachments. The beautiful braid with flowers is perfect for functions, pujas and more. Isn’t it stunning?
3. Braided Floral Hairstyle for Women:
While braided women’s hairstyles are always timeless and elegant, you can try out the number of variations possible in this look. We love this sleek floral design braided hairstyle makeover look. It is a perfect traditional bridal hairstyle that can go beautifully with sarees or lehengas and add on a feminine, edgy, mesmerizing style statement.
4. Messy Ponytail for Bridal Look:
If you have a pre-wedding or post-wedding cocktail function, pool parties, or sundowner planned, what best work out a beautiful bridal western look? This messy ponytail look is a perfect choice to match with a full gown or dress. The style brings on edgy and contemporary vibes without compromising on the high-end sophisticated, feminine bridal appearance. Check it out!
5. Traditional Indian Wedding Hairstyles:
We have another traditional bridal hairstyle for women, and this is a beautiful blend of matching modern style with classic hues. The braided look can be enhanced with floral or hair attachments alike, and the look can fit seamlessly for women in lehengas or suits. It is a stunning Indian bridal hairstyle to match with a dupatta and lehenga outfit.
6. Bridal Hairstyles for Saree:
There is no traditional wedding without a floral hair braid and saree look. So, we have this stunning timeless, and traditional Hindu bridal hairstyle option to wear with a saree. The look is timeless and classic, will never go out of trend and will bring on beautiful vibes instantly. You can choose the floral braid attachments in the colour of choice too.
7. Bridal Hairstyles for Long Hair:
This beautiful bridal hairstyle is perfect for women who have long hair lengths. The wedding hairstyle combines vintage hues with classic floral attachments to match the outfit. It is suitable for women with different hair textures and can match different occasions, such as pre-wedding festivities and events.
8. Indian Bridal Hairstyle with Open Hair:
If you want to flaunt the beautiful wavy hair texture, you can try this Indian bridal hairstyles option too. The front view of the hairstyle here can show you the possible wavy hair texture look near maang tikka, besides giving out a loose hair look at the back. You can pair this hairstyle with lehengas for events such as sangeet and mehndi.
9. Bridal Hairbun:
The hair bun looks are not new in bridal fashion, but it is indeed timeless and a perfect choice on the big day. We have this bridal hair bun look for the wedding outfit. The hairstyle can add glamour and peppy vibes to the lehenga on your wedding day. Match the floral attachments to your lehenga colour or colour of choice for a beautiful mesmerizing style statement.
Read: Trending Bridesmaid Hairstyles
10. Bridal Fishtail Braid Style:
The fishtail braid is perfect if you lean towards a glamorous and elegant sophisticated style statement. This Indian bridal look gives on a messy braid look matching the elegant accessories and lehenga outfit. The hairstyle can bring on beautiful and timeless vibes if you have straight or wavy hair texture. How do you like it?
11. The Classic Fishtail Bride:
A fishtail bride is easily one of the most sought after south Indian bridal hairstyles. Although there are many versions to try, this basic model offers a simple and elegant look. You can choose to keep it refined by adding some hair accessories or tucking in a few fresh flowers on the side. Just comb your hair neatly and bind it with a clip or band. Separate it into two sections to form the braid.
- Preferred Face Shapes: Suits all face shapes, especially if you have long, silky hair.
- Best Outfits to Try: Traditional Silk Sarees with gold temple jewellery.
- Suitable Occasions: Bridal ceremony, Pre-wedding Rituals.
12. Twisted Knot Low Bun:
The Twisted Knotsare probably the most versatile updos among the Indian bridal bun hairstyles. Unlike regular buns, using the “twist” technique lifts your roots for a good volume. To create this, just section your hair into 3-4 parts from the crown. Twist each area into a knot and secure it with a bobby pin. You can add a flower or a statement accessory to bring in the Bridal vibe!
- Preferred Face Shapes: The Bun style looks amazing on round and rectangular face shapes.
- Best Outfits to Try: Lace Sarees, Flowy Lehengas and Strapless Gowns.
- Suitable Occasions: Buns are great for cocktail parties, Receptions and Social Gatherings.
13. Andal Kondai Bridal Bun:
The Andal Kondai is a traditional Indian bridal hairstyle sported by the Iyenger Brides of the Tamilnadu state. It is believed that on the auspicious day of the wedding, the bride takes the form of “Andal” or Bhoodevi and the groom of Lord Vishnu. This unique hairdo comprises a done on one side of her partitioned hair and adorned with flowers and gold ornaments. So, if you want to be the quintessential Tamil bride, this style might just take you back to your roots!
- Preferred Face Shapes: Any bride can try this hairstyle. If you don’t have long hair, hair extensions and pre-made buns can be used.
- Best Outfits to Try: Old-styleIyenger style 9 Yard Sarees.
- Suitable Occasions: This braid is reserved for the wedding day.
Read: Latest Tamil Bridal Hairstyles
14. Dutch Fishtail Braid:
This fancy bridal hairstyle is sure to earn you tons of compliments on your D-day! It also offers a refreshing change from the regular three-partition braid. All you need to do is to start off with the Dutch style from the sides and continue as a fish braid all the way down. Now loosen the strands to create fullness. Flowers and ornaments add a decorative look to this gorgeous hairdo!
- Preferred Face Shapes: Suits all types of face shapes.
- Best Outfits to Try: Sarees and Lehengas. For a twist, you can also try it with your 9-yard drape!
- Suitable Occasions: Wedding Day, Sangeeth, Mehendi Functions.
15. The Bun and the Braid Style:
If you love the bun and the braid, why not try them both at once? This creative hairstyle is one of its kind, with a unique combination of two techniques. The hair is partitioned into two sections at the crown area. The upper part is made into a twisted bun and secured tightly. The remaining hair is made into a braid and adorned with the “Jadakuppelu”. Instead of leaving it plain, you can accessorize it with crescent-shaped ornaments for that old-school touch!
- Preferred Face Shapes: Suits round and chubby brides.
- Best Outfits to Try: A rich Kanjeevaram silk saree is the perfect match for this style.
- Suitable Occasions: Wedding Day and Bridal Ceremony.
Read: Wedding Updo Hairstyles
16. Christian Bridal Beach Curls:
If you are into contemporary fashion, then this sensual hairstyle is sure to impress you! Inspired by the beach waves, these curly locks are just what you need to woo your man. Make sure you condition your hair before you use a long curling iron. If you are willing to take the risk and go that extra mile, add some coloured hair extensions and a lovely Christian veil accessory.
- Preferred Face Shapes: This Indian Christan bridal hairstyle is better for women with big foreheads to cover up.
- Best Outfits to Try: A gorgeous White Christian wedding gown.
- Suitable Occasions: You can try this style for reception and ring ceremonies!
17. Classic Sock Bun with Gajra:
The quintessential sock bun can never go out of style! this is one of the best wedding hairstyles for the mother of the bride. Plus, it saves you plenty of time for blowdrying and styling, as all you need to do is wash your hair and Roll! Cover it up with a bun mesh and add a lovely Gajra around it. Using a floral bobby pin at the centre gives you that tiny, little sparkle!
- Preferred Face Shapes: Buns look amazing on round and square girls (Dulhan).
- Best Outfits to Try: Go for silk sarees like Banarasi and KanchiPattu.
- Suitable Occasions: Marriage and Bridal Ceremony.
18. The South Style Golden Jada:
Speaking of luxury, this braid outdoes everything else, with its lavish golden “Jada”. The antique-style ornament is handcrafted with Kempus to match the outfit of the bride. You can customize these designs and even the length based on your requirements. Instead of leaving it on its own, generously deck up the upper part with rolls of flowers in different colours.
- Preferred Face Shapes: Buns look amazing on round and square faces.
- Best Outfits to Try: Go for silk sarees like Banarasi and KanchiPattu.
- Suitable Occasions: Wedding Party and Bridal Ceremony.
Read: Simple Indian Juda Hairstyles
19. The Bubble Braid with Flowers:
Bubble braids might look complicated, but trust us! They are by far one of the easiest among Indian wedding hairstyles for long hair. The hairdo gets its name from the “bubble” like sections in your hair to achieve an exaggerated look. So, if you have thin hair, this style adds volume without extensions. Just plan for the number of bubbles you want and use elastic bands to space them out perfectly. Tuck in some pastel-coloured flowers to look like a Princess!
- Preferred Face Shapes: This style looks lovely on women with small faces.
- Best Outfits to Try: Choose simple sarees, and Ghagrasto highlight the braid.
- Suitable Occasions: Try this on your bridal day or Mehndi event.
20. Princess Jasmine Fishtail Braid:
Pamper your inner princess to this amazing Indian reception hairstyle for the bride! This easy style is a blend of bubble and fishtail braids to create this enchanting look. The fluffed up sections are intricately woven and fastened with invisible bands. Floral pins are randomly tucked in an irresistible prettiness. So, if you want that “Wow” moment on your special day, you simply cannot miss out on this!
- Preferred Face Shapes: Women with round and oval shapes can try this one!
- Best Outfits to Try: Silk sarees, Designer Lehengas and even Cocktail gowns can be worn with this hairstyle.
- Suitable Occasions: Wear this at your reception and bridal ceremony, and don’t forget to take some rear shots!
21. The Floral Jada Billa:
In states like Andhra, Telangana and Karnataka, the bridal braids are usually decorated with Ornaments called the “Jadabilla”. Traditionally these are made with gold and are replaced by cheaper and prettier floral alternatives. Depending on your saree colour, you can get the size, colours and type of flowers customised. We are totally sold on this idea!
- Preferred Face Shapes: Suits any south Indian bride, irrespective of the face shape!
- Best Outfits to Try: Heavy Kaneejvaram Silk Sarees or Pattu Half Sarees.
- Suitable Occasions: Wedding Day, Pre-wedding rituals, Bridal Ceremonies.
Read: Hairstyles for Engagement In Saree
22. Heavy Rose Bridal Bun:
Remember Anushka Sharma’s floral Rose bun for her wedding in Italy? She broke the internet with her choice of hairdo. You can replicate the idea by trying out this amazing bun. Just stock up on some fresh roses, along with some delicate white star flowers to give it a magical touch. Wearing those neckpieces in reverse is a quirky way to immortalize this beauty!
- Preferred Face Shapes: This bridal bun hairstyle suits any woman. However, work on the front area depending on the face shape.
- Best Outfits to Try: Silk and Georgette Sarees, and Pastel Lehengas are nice.
- Suitable Occasions: Reception, Engagement and Wedding Days.
2. Front Puff Hairstyle for Bun:
No matter how lovely your bun looks, it’s important to properly invest time in doing the front side. Instead of going for a boring centre-partition or plain backcombing, you can try out this puffy hairdo. The idea is to create more volume and bounciness in your hair. Use reverse combing techniques to lift up the strands, followed by a messy Dutch braid. Once this step is complete, you can tie up the rest of the hair into a beautiful bun and adorn it with flowers. As a finishing touch, add a statement Maangtika!
- Preferred Face Shapes: Best for round faces. Even women with big foreheads can try this out.
- Best Outfits to Try: Breezy Organza and Netted Sarees, Light Colored Lehengas are apt.
- Suitable Occasions: Reception, Mehendi and Sangeeth nights.
24. Easy Braided Bun:
Braided bun hairstyles are an all-time favourite hairstyle for young brides. They look elegant and can be made in less than an hour. Here is one such cool idea to bring out the royalty in you. Divide the hair into three sections, starting from the top of your crown. Using a root lift clip, puff up the second section of your hair and start braiding. Now roll it into a bun. Repeat the same with the hair on your Napel and blend it with the top bun. You can use a semi-braid on the front side and accentuate it with gold bobby pins. Tuck in some exotic flowers at the base to look charming!
- Preferred Face Shapes: Try this if you have an oval or a long face.
- Best Outfits to Try: Silk Sarees and Lehengas are the best.
- Suitable Occasions: This style looks great for a formal reception.
25. The Dutch Bridal Bun:
If you always wanted to try something new, this updo is just for you! The mesmerizing version of the classic dutch bun gives us major hair goals. It may look impossible to replicate, but with the right tools and hairspray, you can get it done in a jiffy. Also, check out how this bride replaced conventional flowers with purple buds! She looks too beautiful to be real, doesn’t she?
- Preferred Face Shapes: Best for Oval and Square faces to highlight their features.
- Best Outfits to Try: Light coloured silk or flowing sarees are good.
- Suitable Occasions: Reception and formal wedding ceremony.
Read: Latest Bridal Hairstyles for Saree
26. The Reverse Fishtail Braid:
The reverse fishtail braid hairstyle is one of the most fun and interesting Indian bridal hairstyles. As the name suggests, it uses an “inward” technique of fishtail to create this amazing look. So, even if you have skinny and limp hair, this style can give it a fuller appearance. To create a spring-like texture, you can make smaller braids and link them up like this. A big flower or some baby breath floral elements can elevate its beauty to a whole new level.
- Preferred Face Shapes: This style looks amazing on round and square faces.
- Best Outfits to Try: Best with trendy Ghagras and half sarees.
- Suitable Occasions: Try it on your Mehendi day or Bridal ceremony.
27. Crisscross Messy Bun Style:
If you have medium length hair that cannot support a traditional bun, try this Kerala bridal hairstyle! The crisscross bun is a great way to amp your look and give it a modern touch. To get that fluffy look, just use a volumizing spray and start making the sections. Tie them up into a bun and for a change, use a feather hairpin. Use the same technique to create a layered effect on the crown. We are drooling over this hairdo!
- Preferred Face Shapes: This bun looks amazing on round and heart face shapes.
- Best Outfits to Try: Suits Christian Wedding Gowns, Cocktail Dress and Lehengas.
- Suitable Occasions: Wedding Day, Reception and Night Receptions.
Read: Simple Wedding Hairstyles For Medium Hair
28. Braided Rose Hair with Loose Curls:
This hairstyle is nothing short of a dream! This lovely Spring wedding reception hairstyle can make every head turn towards yours! The upper part of your hair features three Rose braids sitting prettily on the top. Loose curls flow from each of these flowers to create the illusion of a waterfall gushing out of this blooming garden. Kudos to the concept, creativity and execution! Don’t miss out on the gorgeous floral elements to make it even better!
- Preferred Face Shapes: This style suits women with round, chubby and broad faces.
- Best Outfits to Try: Wear it with a dreamy lehenga Dupatta set or a skirt and crop top.
- Suitable Occasions: Mehendi parties, Reception and Friends Get-Togethers.
29. Curly Bridal Bun:
Curly braided bun hairstyles are back and with a bang! They give the right volume to your hair and suit almost any hair type. You need not worry about frizz or undefined curls on your D-day. Just twist your locks and set them in place using a spray. Doing that in a zigzag way is the trick to getting a billowing look. Slip in the flower on the side to finish it!
- Preferred Face Shapes: Go for it if you have natural curls with a round face.
- Best Outfits to Try: Suits Sarees and Lehenga Cholis.
- Suitable Occasions: Try this style for your reception!
30. The Cornrows Floral Braided Bun:
This is the best South Indian wedding hairstyle, and the Cornrows style of African women inspires this creative braided bun! Instead of keeping it very tight and to the roots, the braid is given more volume and lift. A set of 4 to 5 braids is combined into a beautiful braid and adorned with the prettiest flowers in town. You can even accessorize it with a golden Maatha Patti to look both ethnic and modern at the same time!
- Preferred Face Shapes: Looks amazing on round and square face shapes.
- Best Outfits to Try: Try it on an embroidered Bridal Lehenga!
- Suitable Occasions: Wedding Day, Reception and Bridal Shower.
31. Half French Braid with Flowers:
If you have short hair, but you still want to follow the braid trend, this one can be a great option! It features three sections of French plait gathered on the upper section of the hair. The ends are straightened and touched with honey brown highlights. A bunch of multi-coloured flowers turns your mane into an abstract art piece!
- Preferred Face Shapes: This style goes well with any face shape!
- Best Outfits to Try: Half Saree, Sarees and Simple Lehengas.
- Suitable Occasions: Mehendi events, Receptions and Casual Get-Togethers.
Read: Best Wedding Hairstyles for Short Hair
32. Embellished Donut Bun:
Transform an everyday Donut bun into a celebrity hairdo by accessorizing it well! Investing in good hair ornaments like this bun clip and Matha Patti amps your fashion game! The heavy bun can be achieved by using multiple hair extensions and a supportive elastic band! Once done, the retro heroine in you is revealed to the crowd. But, be prepared to have a “neck wreck”, as this style can be a little too heavy on your head!
- Preferred Face Shapes: Donut buns look lovely on women with round and heart face shapes.
- Best Outfits to Try: Go for a Banarasi or a heavy silk saree!
- Suitable Occasions: Undoubtedly for your wedding day!
33. Beach waves with Bubble Braid:
This style is a sure-shot way to steal the show and hog the limelight! It features the eternal bubble braid in the centre section. The rest of the hair is curled to make these luscious beach waves, which are hard to resist! Adding dainty little floral accessories on the braid and a lovely headpiece on the top brings out the true feminine beauty in you!
- Preferred Face Shapes: Suits women with Round, heart and pear face shapes.
- Best Outfits to Try: Cocktail Dresses and Pastel Colored Lehengas are suitable.
- Suitable Occasions: This wedding guest hairstyle is the best for Reception and Wedding Dinner.
34. Elegant French Twist Bun:
A French bun can never fail to impress! It makes you look sleek and chic without spending a lot of time in styling! Twist your hair and tuck in the loose ends. Secure them with a couple of bobby pins and finish it with a lovely Mogragajra! This classic Indian bridal hairstyle is ideal for all formal events, in which you want to stay stylish, yet comfortable!
- Preferred Face Shapes: French buns look amazing on women with oval and long faces!
- Best Outfits to Try: Silk and Bridal wear sarees are best.
- Suitable Occasions: Evening Receptions, Pre Wedding Events.
Read: Short Haircuts For Women
35. Loose Braid with Floral Wreath:
Loose braids are an increasingly popular hairstyle trend with modern Indian brides. This effortless hairdo takes no more than a few minutes to make. So, even at rush times, you can rely on this braid. Try either a fishtail or dutch style to add a contemporary touch to your hair. Here’s where it makes all the difference for you! Instead of tucking in flowers like old times, try a floral wreath for decoration! Once ready, sit back and enjoy all the attention you receive!
- Preferred Face Shapes: This style is ideal for women with Oval or Long faces!
- Best Outfits to Try: Pick a multi-colour Lehenga, Sharara or a Croptop set.
- Suitable Occasions: Perfect hairdo for a Mehendi Party.
36. The Side Braid:
Braids form one of the classic Indian hairstyles in the lookbook, and here we have a classic mix-up of both a bun and a braid into one hairdo. Starting with this look, section out the front lock and tie a French braid with it until you reach the end where the rest of the hair can bundle into a bun.
- This elegant wedding curly hairstyle is best suitable for those with any face shape with wavy or straight hair.
- One can opt for this hairstyle for summer for better comfort.
- Try for women before the age of 35 for the best look.
- Best suited for wedding Mehendi or sangeet night.
- One can wear either gown or lehengas or ethnic wear with this.
37. Just An Embellishment:
Often an Indian wedding hairdo with maang tikka relies simply on heavy-based ornaments and embellishments to create an outstanding look. You may keep the hair free and open but never forget to add an embellishment to this look just to spice things up. Here we have the three-layered headgear. However, you may use something more intricate and heavy.
- This hairstyle is suited for wedding guests for any wedding events and festivities.
- Best suited for any kind of face type and hairstyle type.
- Women below the age of 32 can rock this look.
- It can be best worn during the monsoon season only.
- This hairstyle goes with suitable hair accessories and ethnic wear for giving an elegant look.
38. The Front Bump:
Here is a perfect way to tackle stubborn front locks simply by opting for this Indian bun hairstyle for wedding occasions. You can either use bump-its or simply hand tease it manually. Unlike the others, this look right off the bat starts with the bump and might end in a softback bun.
- This hairstyle can be suited for oval-shaped faces and people with straight hair types only on wedding occasions.
- Try this hairstyle for any of the wedding festivities.
- Brides below the age of 30 can look good in this look.
- This hairstyle is suitable for any season.
- It goes with lehengas or gowns paired with it.
39. Elegance Personified:
Elegance is a prime character in an Indian wedding where grace eludes from the whole being of the bride to be and much like her poise and beauty, her hairdo matches up with something gorgeous like this one right here. A tamed yet mind-blowing look on your special day.
- This hairstyle can be suited for an oval-shaped face or diamond-shaped face and straight hair.
- These Indian reception hairstyles are best suited for brides.
- Women below 30 yrs old can rock this look.
- Best suited with lehengas or sarees on the big wedding day.
- This style is the best for the summer season.
40. South Indian Braids:
Braids are used from traditional days, and till now, people are using them with different looks. It looks lovely on any bride, and over the years, many modifications have been done to this style. Waterfall braids are the most common ones in which people team up with other styles. Braids look elegant for medium and long hair. The south Indian braid is one of the well-known hairstyles for weddings.
- This South Indian wedding hairstyle is suited for any face type and hair type easily as it is accommodative with any nature of hair.
- Try this hairstyle in pre-wedding festivities.
- It goes with lehengas or long dresses (traditional).
- Women below the age of 30 look good with these bridal hairstyles.
- These best wedding hairstyles can suit you best during the winter season.
Those are some of the best Indian bridal hairstyles for you to take inspiration from! If you are unsure of how to proceed with them, just watch a tutorial on Youtube or, even better, hire a stylist! Using the right tools and hair products can retain the style for a couple of hours. So, you get plenty of time to capture its beauty and flaunt it among your family and friends!
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers:
Q1. Should my Hair be Washed before Trying out Indian Bridal Hairstyles?
Ans: Any professional hairstyle must not be done on oily or wet hair. So, experts recommend washing it at least a day before and keeping it dry. Avoid using products that can weigh your hair down. Instead, the stylist must analyze the hair during a trial run and bring his own set of products. For example, thin hair needs a volumizing spray, while curly hair needs frizz control and defining cream!
Q2. Is it anExpensive Affair to hire a Hairstylist?
Ans: Not really! Most local hairstylist offers affordable packages, which include makeup and hair. They can even help you with saree draping. If you wish to look perfect on your wedding day, we highly recommend hiring one. Be sure to find out their cost and availability on that day. Also, get a trial run done at least a week before to know if the style suits you well!
Q3. Should I Leave my Hair for a Beach Wedding?
Ans: Beaches are fun, but not for your hair! They are high humidity zones, which makes your hair frizzy and dry. So, you can try a half braid or a messy bun. Try leaving the side locks open and curl them to retain the beach wave theme! Use anti-humidity products to keep your hair in place, and at the end, tuck in some delicate flowers to give a diva touch!
One comment on "Dulhan Hairstyles: 40 New Wedding Hairstyles for Indian Brides"
nyc Article! The hairstyles are simply fabulous and the variety is just great. All the hairstyles are good and easy. Thanks for the post. Truly loved reading this article! Looks very trendy…
Comments are closed.