Do you have pains in the joints? Have some fare-ups become unbearable? Then you are suffering from Gout. It is medically associated with the production of excess uric acid-forming crystals that result in painful joints. The Gout diet plan is a quick way to control the unpleasant side effects of gout. There are medications available now for chronic gout. But by following a diet for maintaining a healthy diet make a drastic difference. Having excess meat, alcohol also results in the flare-ups in gout. Maintain proper weight and healthy dietary changes that help reduce the effects of gout.
What Is Gout?
A common yet intricate form of arthritis is also known as Gout, and it affects anyone. Purine metabolism results in a build-up of uric acid, which is one of the primary reasons that cause gout. Dehydration, some blood or metabolism disorders also induce the production of excess uric acid. Some symptoms of gout include severe pain, swelling, redness, and tenderness in your joints, especially the joint at the base of the big toe. (1)
Is Diet Helpful For Preventing Gout?
A specially formulated diet can be beneficial in reducing the pain and preventing the flareups of gout any further. Many other factors cannot be changed like genes, race, etc. Gout being a metabolic disease, being overweight can result in gout and metabolic syndrome. Following a low-purine and healthy diet can help reduce weight, thereby helping reduce the flare-ups caused by Gout. (2)
See More: Natural Treatment For Arthritis At Home
Best Foods For Gout Patients:
Food To Eat For Gout Patients:
- Plant-based proteins.
- Low-fat, nondairy fat products such as skimmed milk, yogurt.
- Oil and fat.
- Bread and pasta.
- Eggs in moderation.
- Fruits and nuts.
Foods To Avoid For Gout Patients:
- Beer or liquors.
- Red meat like pork and lamb.
- Organ meats like liver and kidneys.
- Glandular meats like pancreas or thymus.
- Seafood such as shrimp, anchovies, lobster, mussels, and sardines.
Sample Diet Plan For Gout Patients:
The diet that you need to follow to overcome your gout problem safely and quickly. Here is a detailed meal plan to be monitored regularly when you are on a gout arthritis diet. This simple diet plan includes breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner.
Breakfast is an essential meal of the day, and it is advised not to skip breakfast.
- Healthy and wholesome breakfast gives you the energy to start your day well.
- You can have unsweetened whole-grain cereals mixed with low fat or skimmed milk with fresh fruit.
- You can toast whole wheat bread (3) without any butter and top it off with fresh fruit juice or coffee without any sugar.
- Ginger soup also adds a refreshing taste to your diet, helping you feel full and maintenance of weight. (4)
See More: Pcos Diet Plan
- You can consume lean meat such as fish and poultry approximately two to three oz. By preparing a sandwich.
- To prepare a sandwich, take whole wheat bread and add lettuce and tomatoes, making a simple sandwich. (5)
- Vegetable soup with a salad made with fresh carrots, celery sticks add a lot of benefits to this diet.
- Apples, pears, or oranges can be added to your diet as they are rich with nutrients. (6)
- Eating sandwiches become monotonous, and you can switch it up with some beans.
- Prepare a hot broth of chicken along with some vegetables like sweet potatoes and beans.
- You can add lentils to your diet too.
- Brown rice with low-carbs also gives you a change of pace.
- Just because you are allowed to consume meals that don’t mean you can eat anything.
- Healthy choices like fruits, veggies, nuts, and whole grains. (7)
- Fruits include the ones that are a rich source for vitamin C, such as cherries and oranges.
- You can make a simple salad with spinach, cabbage, nuts, and honey to make a salad.
- You can bake or roast yourself a two to three oz chicken and throw in some vegetables.
- For second-course bake potatoes with low-fat sour cream.
- Green salads with low-fat dressing are appreciated.
- You can eat fresh fruits like berries, a melon that provides your body with vital nutrients.
- You can have a cheat day and prepare a white sauce pasta with mushrooms, peas, capsicum to feast your taste buds.
- If you want to eat an egg, remember not to eat more than once per day.
Lifestyle Changes To Avoid Gout:
For this diet to work out and reduce the inflammation caused due to gouts, you need to follow some things very strictly.
- Reduce the daily consumption of meat fish and chicken, ranging from 113 to 170 grams per day.
- Choose plant-based proteins as they are digested quickly.
- A big no-no to alcohol as it disrupts the reduction of uric acid from your bodies as the level of purine in alcoholic beverages in more, which not only stops the process of flushing out uric acid but forms crystals that result in gout. (8)
- It is best to avoid foods that are high in fructose corn syrup as they result in kidney stones.
- Fresh fruit juices are also beneficial as they don’t have added preservatives as they are low in fructose and purine and can be had in between meals.
- Altogether avoid pure carbs and choose complex carbohydrates instead.
- Choose low-fat versions of dairy products.
- Drink plenty of water, keeping yourself hydrated by drinking at least 8 to 12 glasses of water.
- Studies show that coffee has a positive effect on gout but without sugar. (9)
See More: Pritikin Diet Plan
The sample diet plan for gout works best when you follow the plan without fail. This diet can also be supported by people without gout too. It results in maintaining a healthy weight and avoid gout from becoming chronic. Managing your issues caused by gout can be done quickly with the help of these diet plans. Let us know if this diet worked out for you!
1. Is Gout A Form Of Arthritis?
Ans. Gout is a type of arthritis that is very painful as the build-up of uric acid forms crystals in the joints. The most affected part is the big toe, and other joints include knees, ankles, toes, or heels. They cause pain, and they become swollen and warm.
2. Who Is Most Affected By Gout Men Or Women?
Ans. Nine to ten times, men are more affected than women. It strikes men basically after puberty peaking at 75. Menopause sometimes triggers gout in women.
3. Can We Eliminate Uric Acid In The Form Of Urine?
Ans. Uric acid elimination is done in the form of urine when the prunes that are part of our body and also present in many foods are broken down, forming uric acid, when the kidneys do not eliminate enough uric acid forming crystals resulting in gout.