Tile is a kind of flooring material, one that is manufactured from hard-wearing material such as metal, stone, ceramic or marble. Tiles are also a choice for roofing solutions, walls and even on tabletops. It is a popular covering or protection solution and sometimes even used for decorative purposes. We sure must have heard about the different types of tiles ie, floor and wall tiles. Practically, there is no difference between both of them.
The floor tiles, however, are pretty strong, designed to protect against wear and tear. These can also be made from marble, porcelain and from other natural stones like travertine. Here we enlisted different types of tiles designs in various materials.
Different Types Of Tiles Designs:
So, which of the ones are strong? What you should go for office space and home? Here are our 8 different types of tiles that you may want to know about so that you could make an informed choice the next time you step out to make a purchase.
1. Ceramic Tiles Design:
Ceramic tiles are made from clay and are hardened by heat, permanently. They also have a decorative glaze and are moulded into shape and later fired in a kiln. These are either glazed or unglazed. Homes, however, prefer the glazed ceramic tiles. They are known for their durability, but lesser than that of porcelain.
- Pros: Ceramic tiles are less expensive and less dense and thus cutting them is easy. Glazed ceramic tiles is a popular choice for home indoors and flooring options.
- Cons: The many sizes and colour variation among ceramic tiles can make it difficult to use. They are tough and difficult to crack or break.
2. Porcelain Tiles Design:
These tiles are not as soft as the ceramic ones. The tile is subjected to a high temperature that gives the tiles its strength and durability. They are also very dense and thus makes it more resistant to moisture and crack. When compared with the ceramic tiles, porcelain is tough and are less porous. Porcelain also requires more experience to cut them to shape when compared to ceramic or other categories.
- Pros: Due to its composition, it is also considered durable and better suited for any heavy usage. The high feldspar content makes it particularly durable than any other tile. They are a popular choice for the bathroom floors and offers good resistance to water and stain.
- Cons: they are pricy and might need experienced people for cutting.
See More: Floor Tiles Designs
3. Cement Tiles Design:
Cement tiles do not make use of clay. Neither does it have a heating process. A hydraulic press is commonly used to make this. Kiln or glaze is also not used or preferred. Some cement tiles are also hand made that gives them their uniqueness. They come in many colours and are particularly known for their designs and shades.
- Pros: They are best used for covering the floor and offer good durability. They can also be used in wet areas like the bathroom, shower wall or your steam room. Cement tiles are also sealed because they are porous and this makes them more resistant to staining from oil or water.
- Cons: They are generally not preferred in areas that are subjected to hard freezes.
4. Stone Tiles Design:
Stone tiles are surely beautiful. They are made from the many natural stones like marble, granite or limestone. They are cut from slabs, from the stones using diamond-studded high-speed equipment. You might also notice that they have naturally occurring cracks. Tiles that are made from granite are a popular choice for making countertop as they are anti-bacterial and do not get easily affected by water. The ones made from marble look beautiful and luxurious and those made from sandstone are popular for their durability and their grain-like appearance. They are used for internal purposes or even as decorative pieces.
- Pros: Cleaning stone tiles are pretty easy. You can clean them using a wet mop and it dries up in no time.
- Cons: Not all stone tiles are durable and offers lesser durability than ceramic or porcelain.
5. Wooden Tiles Design:
The other tile that is often regarded as the classic tile is the wooden tile. They are beautiful and add a classic touch to your house. They are made from ply boards, original wood or even artificial wood. They are also made from ceramic or porcelain and made to resemble like wood, for durability. The main reason for doing this is that the hardwood is known to suffer from vulnerabilities like change in weather that could potentially lead to expansion of the wood. Depending on the material from which it is manufactured wood tile can be used indoors, in the bathrooms or also outdoor. For example, ceramic wood is a preferred choice for indoor and sometimes even in bathrooms.
- Pros: They offer double resistance, of wood and the material it is made from.
- Cons: They are expensive when having to install or make them. They also might be subjected to many restrictions on where you can use them around your house.
See More: Tiles Designs For Hall
6. Glass Tiles Design:
Glass tiles mainly serve as decorative purposes on walls. They are popular for their good looks and durability. They are also moisture resistant and solid. They can be used in your bathroom walls, swimming polls and your kitchen walls. The rooms also look brighter and reflect light. They are easy to wipe and do not get stained easily.
- Pros: they are known for their versatility and can be put to use in practically every room. They are also easy to shape and the finish you choose will offer much more styles.
- Cons: They are probably costlier than ceramic or porcelain. Some of them, when exposed to abrasive cleaning equipment, could lead to scratches on its surface.
7. Terrazzo Tiles Design:
They are made from composite materials that consist of glass, granite or marble. They are blended in a cement grinder and poured into a cast or poured into place and then hydraulically pressed into shapes. They are used for floor and wall treatments. However, they are one of the most durable forms of tile today.
- Pros: They have a good life and are unique and beautiful.
- Cons: They are slippery and thus cause falls making it a lesser good option as a flooring choice.
8. Metal Tiles Design:
These are the tiles that are made from metal. Some of them also make use of alloys and other composite materials. They are used in kitchens and bathrooms and are known for their shiny texture. They are also used as a roofing solution. They are extremely durable to rain or hail and you can customize them based on your need.
- Pros: They are resistant to stain and moisture and offer excellent durability. They are also fire-resistant.
- Cons: They are costly and also noisy when it rains heavily. They are also prone to denting when hails fall on them with force.
See More: Wall Tiles Designs
Tips for Choosing Your Tiles:
Well, we know how you are probably still confused when having to choose a tile. Here are some tips you can read before making a choice.
- If you are looking for a flooring solution, Vitrified tiles are surely the best. They are highly durable and can withstand traffic. If you are looking for a wall tile, ceramic or porcelain tiles are the best because they are non-porous and do not absorb stains.
- Remember to purchase a little 5-10% more tiles than you actually need to. This will address the cuts and breakages.
- Choosing the right colour also has a role to play. Some of them give a spacious look to the room and make it look brighter while others make your room look dull.
- The other key thing you need to keep in mind is to check for their ability to absorb water. Tiles that have less water absorption will have a longer life.
That’s about the many types of tiles you can choose from. Remember to consider your budget too when making choice. You could also reach out for some real help with the store owners in making you choose the right ones that will suit and fit your home and need. Some of them are known for their beauty while others are known for their durability. So the choice is really yours and you need to decide what is of importance to you.