Are you looking for a fun and effective way to lose weight? With the increasing population suffering from obesity, swimming for weight loss is quickly gaining popularity among many other exercise forms. It helps you gain muscle mass by toning up your body, making it one of the effective ways to weight loss.
Swimming is a perfect option for people with physical limitations too for significant weight loss. A good swim in cold water is a great way to get the best and desired results while enjoying it. Read this article for quick tips and benefits if you want to choose swimming for weight loss.
Does Swimming Help with Weight Loss?
Yes! Swimming is good for weight loss. It helps tone up your muscles by providing a full body work out, unlike any other sport training exercises. Water forms a cushion to the muscles and bones in your body, making it feel light. Ite e helps burn all excessive calories in your body, which makes it one of the best forms of cardiovascular exercise. (1) Swimming also involves arms, legs, and core equally because your body continually needs to stay in the water. Maintaining a balanced diet is necessary that goes hand in hand with physical activity.
See More: How To Use Massage For Weight Loss
Tips To Lose Weight Through Swimming:
Here are some tips that help you form a routine and follow it to lose weight and tone up your muscles effectively. (2)
- Adjusting your diet plays a vital role in weight loss and proper exercise routine, swimming is no exception. Refueling yourself with a protein shake or a bowl of veggies will fill you up and help you avoid any unnecessary snacking.
- Early morning is the perfect time to go for a swim before you eat. This is because your body utilizes the body fat stores in the form of energy, thereby burning those extra calories.
- Swimming gives you a full-body workout and a perfect form of cardio, giving you the desired results.
- Interval training is another way that helps you burn more calories. Relax your pace in one lap and swim as fast as possible in another, making the routine interesting.
- If you want to increase your resistance in water when you are swimming, wearing a bathing cap is the perfect solution. It helps burn more calories by increasing your speed.
See More:How Runnig Helps You to Lose Weight
Best Strokes In Swimming for Weight Loss Quickly:
Several movements your body makes during the swimming area known as strokes. Each of these strokes serves a different purpose, and they help you lose weight effectively.
This is one of the slow and comfortable techniques best suited for beginners. Initially, when you need time to get a hold on the method, this is the best stroke to try as you can swim freely without worrying about movements. You can burn around 200 calories with half an hour of breaststroke. It is also considered a good cardio workout that helps tone up your muscles.
2. Freestyle swimming for weight loss:
If you want fast results and have a bit of experience in swimming, then freestyle is the technique for you as it is result-oriented. This movement in this technique cuts through the water instead of pushing against the water. It would help if you very had very little energy to cover long distances with freestyle. Half an hour with this stroke can get rid of hundreds of calories and helps build your muscles.
3. Butterfly Stroke Swimming for Weight Loss:
Although it is a bit difficult to perform, a butterfly stroke is a technique that burns the most calories. Your core and upper body muscles have a workout session with this technique. It improves the flexibility of your body and can burn up to 450 calories for every half an hour of this stroke.
4. Back Stroke:
Backstroke is a perfect technique that helps to remove the excess fat from your shoulder and abdominal areas. Your posture and flexibility improve drastically since this stroke helps strengthen your core muscles. If you can do backstroke for approximately 30 minutes, you can 250 calories.
Other Health Benefits Of Swimming:
Swimming it a perfect way for you to lose weight as your body moves against the water improving your resistance. It also has many other health benefits, along with providing a recreational effect. (3) Some of the benefits include:
- It keeps your body fit and toned.
- It helps reduce stress as it is a relaxing exercise.
- Improves your posture.
- It strengthens your muscles.
- Improves cardiovascular fitness.
- It gives your body a full work out.
See More: Ways To Lose Weight by Walking
Swimming can be both recreational and a rigorous workout. If you are a person who loves fun along with physical activity, then swimming is a perfect option. Swimming for weight loss can be as effective as running or going to a gym, and you will be able to get into shape quickly. If you are a beginner, start slow and slowly increase the pace. It is better to learn under the supervision of a professional until you gain confidence.
Disclaimer: The opinions mentioned in this article are mere suggestions based on research. It is always better to start any new training under the guidance of a professional trainer.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. What is the Ideal Time to Swim for Weight Loss?
Ans: Initially, it is always advised to start slow for about 20 minutes per day for three days. Try to increase the time gradually so that your body has enough time to get used to the work. Make sure you follow the routine diligently and not get playful in the water.
2. How Long Does it Take to Lose Weight with Swimming?
Ans: Just a few days of swimming will not give you the desired results. You need to have a schedule to perform swimming regularly so that you can shed all those unnecessary pounds. An average person can lose up to 445 calories per day with an hour of general swimming.
3. What are the Precautions You Need to Take While You Go Swimming?
Ans: Maintaining proper posture is the key while you perform the strokes in swimming. Improper posture may lead to injuries and will not be effective in weight loss. Try to take eye protector googles so that water doesn’t hinder your vision.