Many of us find the tips given by our mothers and grandmothers a bit superstitious. But some of those tips are being proven right by science. Jeera, also called cumin, is a daily spice used in every household. In addition to a lot of health benefits, jeera water helps in weight loss.
Cuminum cyminum is the name of the plant from which cumin is extracted. Asia, Europe, and Africa are the countries from where it is produced abundantly. In many ayurvedic products for weight loss, the primary ingredient is said to be black cumin/Kala jeera powder. Jeera water is also known to reduce stomach pain caused by flatulence, indigestion, and heaviness. India, China, and Mexico are the primary producers of cumin. Let us explore how a day to day usable spice available in every kitchen Jeera and jeera water help shed those kilos.
- What is Jeera Water?
- How Good is Jeera Water for Weight Loss
- Nutritional Content in Jeera Water
- Jeera Water Benefits for Weight Loss
- Recipe of Jeera Water for Weight Loss
- Best Time to Drink Jeera Water for Weight Loss
- Jeera Water for Weight Loss Side Effects
What is Jeera Water?
Jeera water is a type of concoction prepared by flavouring water with jeera. You can pre-soak them for a night to achieve the best result. When you soak the cumin seeds overnight, it undergoes a process called osmosis. In this process, jeera seeds absorb all the water, and they swell up. The earthy yellow colour of jeera water is the result of the nutrients released by the jeera seeds into the water. — Cumin is also called Jeerakam in Malayalam, Seeragam in Tamil, Jeelakarra in Telugu.
How Good is Jeera Water for Weight Loss:
Jeera has purifying properties that help our body in eliminating toxins. It is cheap and readily available. Cumin/jeera water for weight loss is a common practice for reducing weight. The metabolism process is increased due to cumin. It also helps burn calories faster and improves the digestive process.
Nutritional Content in Jeera Water:
It is fascinating that Jeera, a spice used by every household, is loaded with lots of nutritional values, which boosts metabolism and helps in removing excess fat.
- Dietary Fibre: Phytochemicals in jeera are known to have antioxidant, anti-flatulent properties. These are an excellent source of dietary fibre.
- The spice is an excellent source of minerals like iron, copper, calcium, potassium, manganese, selenium, zinc and magnesium.
- Copper is necessary for the production of red blood cells.
- Iron is essential for the formation of red blood cells.
- Zinc is a co-factor in many enzymes that regulate growth, development, and digestion.
- Potassium is a prominent component of cell and body fluids that helps control blood pressure.
- Vitamin C helps strengthen immunity and is necessary for prenatal health.
- A-Vitamin acts as an antioxidant.
- Vitamin E is a group of eight fat-soluble compounds that have antioxidants protecting cell membranes from reactive oxygen species.
- B vitamins are water-soluble vitamins that have an essential role in cell metabolism.
Jeera Water Benefits for Weight Loss:
Here we enlisted, benefits of jeera water for weight loss. Let’s have a look at them. (1)
1. Increases Metabolism:
Metabolism is a process in our body that converts what we eat and drink into energy. Jeera water accelerates the rate of metabolism. And vitamins and minerals in jeera water act as co-factors in metabolic processes. This process burns the fat accumulated in our bodies.
2. Detoxifies Your Body:
Antioxidants in cumin water help remove harmful toxins from your body. All varieties of cumin seeds are a fantastic source of antioxidants that eliminate harmful free radicals in our bodies. The chief bioactive ingredient in jeera water is Thymoquinone that has hepatoprotective effects that help rid of harmful toxins.
3. Hunger Suppressor:
Make yourself a cup of jeera water early morning on an empty stomach suppresses hunger and makes you feel full for a long time. It also helps your stomach muscles to relax. By consuming fewer calories, you tend to lose those unwanted kilos.
4. Aids In Digestion:
Jeera is excellent for boosting digestion. It secretes digestive enzymes and accelerates the digestion process. It acts as a painkiller and is useful in curing stomach pain caused by acidity and bloating. Cumin water typically stimulates the secretion of digestive enzymes and accelerates the digestion process, thus helping you fight gut issues.
We all have experienced water loss from the body, especially during hot summers, or if you suffer from a bout of diarrhoea. The procedure of restoring the lost water to the body tissues and fluids is called re-hydration.
6. High In Potassium:
The high potassium content in jeera is useful for maintaining electrolyte balance in the body and keeps the liquid balanced. Potassium is a crucial mineral that helps our bodies to function correctly. Jeera water regulates blood pressure by balancing out the adverse effects of salt.
7. Boosts Immunity:
Iron in jeerakam water strengthens immunity power. Iron aids in the production of red blood cells. It lowers the risk of infection as it is rich in antioxidants. Dietary fibre and Iron help maintain the normal functioning of our immunity system. It reduces your chances of falling sick.
8. Treats Anaemia:
Cumin treats anaemia naturally. Deficiency of iron causes Anemia. If you want to fight it naturally, drink one glass of cumin water. Iron is one of the vital minerals for the proper functioning of our bodies. High amounts of iron in cumin helps in treating anaemia.
9. Promotes Lactation:
Jeera is a part of any Indian household. Unknowingly we reap the advantages of consuming cumin. Pregnancy is a joyous and delicate period of any woman. How would you feel if we told you consuming jeera water is healthy for the mom and baby? Yes, drinking a cup of warm jeera water promotes lactation. Jeera is a rich source of iron, which helps build strength post-delivery. Have a cup of warm jeera water for a healthy body.
10. Helps Respiratory System:
Cold is a common problem for many of us. Jeera water being anti-congestive and helps get rid of the mucus accumulated in the chest during cold. It also positively helps the respiratory system. A cup of jeera water in the morning could help manage any respiratory disorder better.
11. Liver Health:
Jeera can promote the production of digestive enzymes. It helps in the detox of the liver by removing harmful toxins and facilitates the production of bile. With one cup of warm jeera water every morning, it is incredibly beneficial for the liver.
12. Skin Freshener:
Cumin has antioxidants that can clear toxins from our body, and it absorbs nutrients and promotes detoxification of the skin. Vitamin E and A will deal with anti-ageing issues and will make your skin supple and clear. High amounts of minerals in jeera water helps in skin rejuvenation that give you that glow we always crave. Prepare a face pack of jeera water with turmeric to see the fantastic results.
14. Reduces Cramps:
Women are nothing short of superheroes. Yes, it is true. We all women know how difficult it is to get past the menstrual cramps. Jeera water, however, works like a charm. Jeera water is an excellent remedy for period pain as they have anti-spasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties. All you have to do is drink one glass of warm jeera water.
15. Treats Acne:
Acne is every girl’s nightmare. No need to worry anymore. A natural way to get rid of acne is jeera water, as it is anti-bacterial. Apply topically for clear, flawless skin. The anti-inflammatory properties keep your skin glowing.
16. Healthy Hair:
Hair growth is a vital part of growing up, and the nutrients in jeera water facilitate the need. It has protein, fat, water, and carbohydrates that help combat hair thinning, hair loss and promotes hair growth. Jeera water provides nourishment required for proper hair growth, replenishing them from the roots.
17. Energy Booster:
Jeera water is also an energy booster. If you feel very sluggish, one glass of jeera water will boost your spirits. Nutrients in cumin water keep you energetic throughout the day. By improving the metabolic rate, jeera water keeps your energy levels up.
18. Fewer Calories:
A teaspoon of jeera has approximately seven calories. So have a cup of warm cumin water without worrying about the calories. It also aids in weight loss as the amount of calorie intake is very less.
19. Lowers LDL Cholesterol:
There are two kinds of cholesterol, good and bad. Studies suggest that cumin can increase good lipids and reduce bad cholesterol. In another study, 10% of patients consuming cumin extracts throughout one and a half months have reduced levels of oxidised “bad” LDL cholesterol.
20. Regulates Blood Pressure:
Potassium in jeera water helps improve heart function and maintains blood pressure. Jeera Pani regulates fluid and electrolyte balance as it is rich in potassium. If you want to control high blood pressure, try drinking a glass of seeragam water on an empty stomach. It works very effectively.
21. Scavenges Free Radicals:
Jeera water has flavonoids that have antioxidant properties that scavenge free radicals in our bodies. Healthy metabolism produces free radicles during a process called oxidation. The antioxidant properties in cumin protect the cess from the damage caused by these free radicles.
22. Anti-inflammatory Property:
Cumin water has anti-inflammatory properties. If there is constant inflammation in our body due to any reason, it may lead to obesity. But drinking Jeera Pani contains anti-inflammatory properties that help heal our body and lose those extra pounds too.
Recipe of Jeera Water for Weight Loss:
Making Jeera water is an effortless task and doesn’t need any special requirements. After noticing the incredible benefits of cumin water, all you want is to try this magic drink. Two easiest ways to prepare Jeerakam or Jeera water.
- It is prepared by soaking them overnight or soak for 5-6 hours. It is preferred more and made it very quickly.
- Heating is not required, and there is no chance of losing nutrients.
- Use two tablespoons of Jeera in a glass jar of 1-litre water. Cover the pot with a lid. Seeds will get engorged in water by morning.
- You can drink the water for the whole day.
Boiling Jeera Seeds:
- Boil 4-5 cups of water or take hot water directly from your kettle.
- Toss 1-2 tablespoons of Jeera seeds in the water when it starts bubbling out.
- Remove the pan from the flame and cover the pan with a lid.
- After cooling, your Jeera water is ready. Pour the water into the glass jar or any bottle and sip it on the whole day.
- If daily preparation is difficult due to time constraints, then you can make it in significant quantities by doubling the ingredients and can store it in the refrigerator.
Some Tips for Better Jeerakam Water:
- Initially, try with small doses by taking half the amount in the recipe.
- Increase the amount when you get accustomed to the taste.
- Use distilled water if possible, as it is the purest water form.
Best Time to Drink Jeera Water for Weight Loss:
The best way to start a refreshing day is with a cup of jeera water. Three cups of jeera water per day are beneficial to lose fat. It is best to drink it early in the morning on an empty stomach. In the afternoon 20 min before lunch and evening 20 min after dinner. It positively affects issues like slow metabolism, constipation, poor digestion. It is often considered a natural remedy for various health issues.
Here are some DIY jeera water recipes for weight loss; you can prepare at the comfort of your own house.
Jeera Water and Lime:
- One teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup of water
- Half slice of lime
- Soak a spoon of cumin overnight in a cup of water.
- The next day, strain the water and add half a slice of lime.
- Mix well and enjoy every sip.
Why Does it Work:
Antioxidants present in cumin and lemon help boost immunity and detoxifies our body. The detoxification process helps eliminates harmful toxins and helps get rid of fat.
Jeera Water and Cinnamon:
- One teaspoon of cumin seeds.
- 1 cup of water.
- One teaspoon ground cinnamon powder.
How to Prepare:
- Soak teaspoon cumin seeds in a cup of water overnight.
- Next morning, add a spoon of cinnamon powder and boil for 4-5 minutes.
- Let it cool down, strain, and enjoy your jeera water.
Why Does it Work:
Cinnamon and cumin both have properties that increase metabolic activity in our bodies. Cinnamon aids weight loss by reducing stress and lowers blood glucose levels. Improved metabolism results in burning calories, thereby effective in weight loss.
Jeera Water and Apple Cider Vinegar:
- One teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup of water
- One teaspoon apple cider vinegar
How to Prepare:
- Boil water with a teaspoon of cumin seeds for 5 minutes.
- Let it cool down and strain the water.
- Add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- Stir well and drink
Why Does it Work:
Along with the numerous benefits of cumin, apple cider vinegar has a very less calorie intake. When the number of calories is limited, it directly results in weight loss.
Jeera Water for Weight Loss Side Effects:
Cumin water has no known side effects unless you are allergic to it. There are no proved studies to show that it has positive effects on pregnant and lactating women. It is better to consult and confirm with a doctor for daily use.
See Also: Jeera Water Side Effects You Must Know
So, that’s how you make the magic potion jeera water for weight loss. It is simple and easy to do with only the everyday kitchen ingredients. Adequate intake of the water will bring about a significant and positive result. Adding a quick exercise routine along with a jeera water will make losing weight easy. So, take a cup and try it out!
Let us know if you still have any doubts or concerns about how to use jeera water for weight loss. We would love to assist you with the best solutions and answers.