Overweight and obesity is one of the biggest health problems in the world. People have no time to count on exercises in this busy schedule, and hence people are becoming increasingly obese nowadays. But a solution has to be found because it reduces the span of the life cycle to a great extent. Also, it causes depression, diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure, obesity, fragile bone strength and many more. Hence people are becoming more aware of their health and trying out different diets and modalities to reduce weight. Along with exercises and a proper and balanced diet, a holistic approach towards weight loss can also be tried with the help of essential oils.
Some essential oils have the capacity of burning down the fat content and eliminating the harmful toxins from our body. Other than those, essential oils have other advantages like boosting immunity, relieve stress and stress eating, reduce the fluid retention in our body and many others. In this article here, we will see how essential oils and which essential oils are best for weight reduction and how do they work.
Most Effective Essential Oils for Weight Loss:
Essentials oils are extracted and distilled from plants in their purest form and have a number of amazing benefits. They help by reducing anxiety, improving digestion, reducing depression. Essential oils also indirectly help in weight loss by curbing food cravings and correcting cellulite. If you are trying to shed those extra kilos, you may want to consider adding essential oils as a natural alternative for weight loss.
1. Cinnamon Essential Oil:
Cinnamon oil is extremely effective in balancing the blood sugar levels and thereby reduces sugar cravings. It curbs hunger and improves satiety by lowering blood sugar levels. In addition to this, it serves as a cardioprotective factor by reducing inflammation and relaxing blood vessels. Cinnamon can be consumed internally or diffused at home for prolonged benefits.
How to Use It:
- Cinnamon essential oil can be added to warm water or tea and consumed for better results.
- You can also add the essential oil to your bath water for better results.
- Cinnamon oil can also be diffused at home and inhaled directly for reduced hunger.
2. Ginger Essential Oil:
Ginger essential oil helps in the reduction of body weight. The best advantages of ginger oil are that it suppresses appetite, induces better sleep, improve the process of digestion and promotes weight loss above all. With the help of this essential oil, improved absorption of nutrients and better digestion is seen. A compound called gingerol in ginger possesses antioxidant properties and reduces inflammation and swelling in the body. It improves metabolism significantly, thus aiding weight loss.
How to Use Ginger Essential Oil:
- You can mix the essential oil with olive or coconut oil and apply to the areas where there is excessive fat deposition. Massage it well for half an hour. Rinse it with clean water after 30 minutes.
- If you don’t want to go through the hassle, you can pour some of it in your bathtub while taking a bath for good results over a period of time.
- You can also add 2-3 drops of ginger essential oil to your tea or smoothie for increased metabolism and weight loss.
- Diffusing ginger essential oil at your home will improve mood and reduce hunger cravings, indirectly promoting weight loss.
See More: Exercise To Reduce Upper Belly Fat
3. Sweet Orange Essential Oil:
Sweet orange essential oil has antioxidant properties and contains vitamin c, which helps in cutting down fat from our bodies. It causes a reduction in appetite and thus helps in weight loss. It also reduces cholesterol levels and decreases the pathological alteration of liver and fat tissues. Sweet orange helps in promoting weight loss by increasing metabolism. It reduces cholesterol levels and acts like a mood booster to reduce stress-triggered eating. It helps in the active absorption of nutrients and promotes the feeling of fullness, indirectly preventing weight gain. (1)
How to Use Sweet Orange Essential Oil:
- Take a glass of water. Add two to three drops of sweet orange essential oil. Drink it before you sit down for meals to cut down the food intake and increase the feeling of satiety.
- Take a cotton ball. Drop a few drops of orange essential oil on it. Smell the vapours’ that arise from there before sitting down for a proper meal. This will reduce the level of your appetite and in turn curb overeating.
- Diffuse the oil in your home or workplace for a natural mood elevator and reduced hunger pangs.
4. Grapefruit Essential Oil:
Grapefruit essential oil increases the metabolism by activating enzymes that help in breaking down the body fat. It contains compounds like D-limonene, which increase metabolism and improve the absorption and digestion of nutrients. Grapefruit oil is also known to affect the autonomic nervous system, which regulates important body functions like digestion, reduces appetite and promotes weight loss. It lowers cholesterol by reducing lipid peroxidation and cleanses the lymphatic system.
How to Use Grapefruit Essential Oil:
- Apply 2-3 drops of grapefruit oil and massage it over the areas where there is excessive fat deposition. Leave it on for an hour and then wash it off.
- Add 2-3 drops of this oil to a glass of warm water and consume it on an empty stomach for increased metabolism and improved weight loss.
- Diffuse it in your home for improved mood and reduced hunger cravings.
5. Fennel Essential Oil:
Fennel essential oil is known for its weight reduction properties. It promotes the gastric enzymes and boosts digestion, increasing metabolism. Fennel breaks up the fat deposits in the bloodstream to be used as energy. It contains melatonin, which regulates the sleep-wake cycle, and by ensuring quality sleep, reduces food cravings. It also acts as a diuretic and reduces water weight in the body.
How to Use Fennel Essential Oil:
- Fennel oil, when taken as a supplement, is known to improve digestion and boost metabolism.
- Add 2-3 drops into a glass of water and drink it to improve metabolism and increase weight loss.
- Diffuse fennel oil in your home to lift your mood and reduce hunger cravings.
6. Turmeric Essential Oil:
When it comes to the weight reduction issue, the role of turmeric essential oil shouldn’t be forgotten. Among various other advantages of using turmeric essential oil, the essential ones are that it helps in improving the process of digestion and in turn, helps clearing the bowel movement. Curcumin, the compound in turmeric is an antioxidant and suppresses inflammation, which is one of the main reasons for obesity. It is known to suppress fat tissue growth directly. It regulates blood sugar levels by decreasing insulin resistance in the body.
How to Use Turmeric Essential Oil to Lose Weight:
- Take one cup of warm water and add honey, lemon and a few drops of turmeric essential oil. Have it after your meal.
- Add 5-6 drops of turmeric oil to a carrier oil like coconut oil and massage it onto the problem areas for 10-15 mins. Leave it on for an hour and then wash off.
- Diffuse and inhale 2-3 drops of turmeric essential oil to reduce hunger cravings and stabilize the mood.
See More: Lower Belly Fat Exercises
7. Juniper Essential Oil:
Juniper essential oil is considered very helpful when it comes to the matter of weight loss. It helps in detoxification of the body and helps the body eliminate toxic wastes. Juniper also improves metabolism and digestion, thus promoting weight loss. It supports the body’s natural ability to get rid of unwanted substances. It elevates the mood and fights depression, thereby reducing sugar cravings and stress eating.
How to Use juniper Essential Oil for Losing Weight:
- Add a few drops of spearmint essential oil to your bathtub after filling it up with warm water. Soak in the bath for half an hour for good results,
- Mix coconut oil or olive oil with juniper essential oil and massage it on the fattened areas for 30 minutes. Rinse it with clean water.
8. Lemon Essential Oil:
Lemon is an excellent detoxifier leading to the elimination of toxin buildup from the body. It improves digestion and increases the absorption of nutrients and boosts energy. It also improves metabolism and promotes weight loss. Studies have shown that inhaling lemon oil stimulates the mood and reduces sugar cravings, which can be extremely helpful in reaching your weight loss goals.
How to Use Lemon Essential Oil for Weight Loss?
- Add 2-3 drops of lemon oil to hot water in the morning and drink it on an empty stomach to promote weight loss.
- Add 5-10 drops of lemon oil to a tub of warm water and soak in it for weight loss.
- Diffuse lemon oil in your home and office to reduce appetite and hunger pangs.
9. Eucalyptus Essential Oil:
Eucalyptus oil has a strong aroma which is very refreshing and a natural mood elevator. It reduces appetite, sugar cravings and promotes weight loss. Eucalyptus alleviates anxiety and hence effectively controls stress eating. It improves metabolism and invigorates the senses to promote overall well health.
How to Use Eucalyptus Essential Oil for Weight Loss?
- Add 5-10 drops of eucalyptus oil to a tub full of warm water and soak in it for half an hour.
- Diffuse the eucalyptus oil in your home or workspace for a natural mood booster and reduced appetite leading to weight loss.
See More: Best Smoothies For Weight Loss
10. Rosemary Essential Oil:
Rosemary Essential Oil is a powerful aromatic oil that is used for weight loss. According to a study, rosemary essential oil can reduce the stress hormone cortisol levels in the body. High cortisol levels are associated with increased stress and lead to binge eating and obesity. Rosemary also elevates the mood and suppresses appetite, indirectly promoting weight loss.
How to Use Rosemary Oil for Weight Loss?
- Add 5-10 drops of rosemary oil in a tub full of lukewarm water and soak in it for an hour. It reduces stress and stress-related binge eating, leading to weight loss.
- Add 2-3 drops of rosemary oil to a cotton ball and keep inhaling it. It reduces stress and emotional eating.
- Diffuse rosemary oil in your home and experience reduced hunger pangs and sugar cravings.
Side Effects and Risks of Using Essential Oils for Weight Loss:
- Some people may be allergic to certain types of essential oils. It is always advisable to do a patch test before using any essential oil for treatment.
- If you are pregnant or nursing, please check-up with your doctor first before using any sort of essential oil.
- Essential oils are powerful and may interact with some kinds of medication, especially when ingested internally. Hence always consult a healthcare professional before consuming essential oils, however small the dose may be.
- Beware of polluted and artificial essential oils as they may cause more harm than benefit. Try to buy your essential oils from an organic source always.
We all know that a balanced diet, proper exercise and good sleep are key to weight loss. But there are many other natural remedies, including essential oils, that can try to lose weight without any side effects. But it is always safe to consult your health care provider first before using any alternative medicine for weight loss. Weight loss with essential oils is simple, easy and extremely effective. What are your favourite essential oils amongst the ones that you have tried? Do let us know. We would love to hear what you say!!