We all know the popularity of Saunas, but did you know they were in use for thousands of years to lose weight? Yes! Using a Sauna for weight loss is one of its significant benefits. As per research, you can compare one sauna session with a modern-intensity workout (1), which means you can lose weight without even moving an inch.
This article presents you with all the information you need to know about using Sauna for weight loss. Scroll down!
What is Sauna?
A room typically heated between 70 to 100 degrees Celsius or 158 to 212 degrees Fahrenheit is called a Sauna (Sow-Nah). This room helps raise the temperature of your skin to roughly 40 degrees Celsius, which causes heavy sweating. In addition, in your body’s attempt to keep cool, your heart rate rises. This entire process is how you can use Sauna for weight loss (2).
Types of Saunas:
Before you wish to use Sauna for weight loss, it is better to know more about the different types of saunas available in the market. They are:
1. Steam rooms – As the name suggests, steam baths are humid and steamy. They are also known as Turkish baths.
2. Infrared – Although the acting principle is the same, an Infrared sauna is not a conventional sauna. In these Saunas, your body is heated to produce sweat with light waves.
3. Woodburning –Sauna rocks are heated by lighting up the wood, hence the name. The room temperature s high and is humid in this type of Sauna, which is a typical traditional Finnish sauna.
4. Electrical Sauna – As the name suggests, this room uses electricity instead of wood.
[Read: Best Sauna Suit for Weight Loss]
Sauna Benefits for Weight Loss:
Yes! A sauna is a good option for weight loss, and it also offers several other health benefits. Here is a list of some of the Sauna benefits for weight loss:
1. It acts as a detoxifier:
Going into a Sauna helps you get rid of toxins in your body quickly by making you sweat more (3). This is an excellent option for people who stay indoors in conditioned air or people who do not work out regularly.
The heavy metals absorbed via foods we eat, such as nickel, mercury, zinc, and copper, will be flushed out with sweating in the Sauna (4). This process helps you efficiently burn fat.
2. It helps you lose water weight:
Five pounds of our total weight is made up of water weight. When you follow a restricted diet with a mixed workout routine, losing water weight takes about seven days. But Sauna, on the other hand, will help induce heavy sweating that will help expel excess water resulting in you dropping a few pounds in a day or two.
3. It helps reduce stress:
Stress has become an integral part of all our lives, and we all need something to relieve stress, and one of those options is a Sauna bath. We know that stress plays a major role in your weight management. It helps lower the body’s cortisol levels, reducing stress levels (5).
When taking a bath in a sauna, the cortisol levels drop, reducing the harmful free oxygen levels and reducing inflammation, helping you relax.
4. It helps increase metabolic rate:
A sauna helps improve your metabolic rate by reducing stress, inflammation, and toxins from your body (6). You can lose weight in a sauna because your metabolism runs at a higher rate just after a couple of hours.
Sauna side effects:
Although Sauna helps lose weight, some side effects are associated with Sauna. They are:
- People with cardiovascular diseases might be negatively affected by going to a sauna. So if you have any of these health conditions, consult a doctor.
- Make sure not to switch between a hot sauna and cool swimming pools immediately because this process might raise blood pressure.
- Saunas might also not be suitable for people with low blood pressure.
- People who have had a recent heart attack episode should avoid going to a sauna.
- It might cause dizziness and nausea in some people because of increased temperatures.
- Since there is increased sweating in a Sauna, there is a high chance of dehydration.
When you are starting on the path of losing weight, Sauna can be a great choice that will propel you in the right direction. Saunas are helpful in weight loss and offer several other health benefits. But it is always advised to introduce exercises to lose weight slowly and steadily instead of going fast and furious. So don’t forget to let us know if you found this article helpful!
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is based on pure research and not a replacement for medical advice. If you are unsure, make sure to consult a professional if you have pre-existing health issues.
1. How much weight can one lose by going to a sauna, and how often can we use it?
Ans: Depending on your age, height, sauna duration, weight, etc., you can lose anywhere from two to five pounds. Using a sauna for 15 to 20 weeks, twice a week, to lose weight.
2. Is it safe to use the Sauna for weight loss?
Ans: Although Sauna is safe for weight loss, it is also necessary to exercise and eat healthy to work. You can sit in a Sauna for about 15 to 20 minutes to get good results.
3. Is it okay to visit a Sauna every day?
Ans: Initially, visit a sauna every two days and then reduce it to once or twice a week. It is best to avoid going to the Sauna every day.