From print and digital media to social media, Green tea has gained the centre of attention in the Health segment. Among the many health benefits associated with it, the role of Green tea in weight loss is now a much-discussed topic. With positive testimonials coming from leading celebrities and health experts, many health aspirants are jumping onto this bandwagon.
But are their claims really true? Is there any evidence for the same? As per studies, consumption of a certain level of Green tea has shown the reduction of body weight and also the abdominal fat. (1) But how does this happen? How much of this drink can give you effective results? To know these details, read along.
- What is Green Tea?
- Is Green Tea Good for Weight Loss?
- How Green Tea Helps in Weight Loss?
- How to Make Green Tea at Home for Weight Loss with Steps
- Best Way to Drink Green Tea for Weight Loss
- How Much Green Tea Should You Drink for Weight Loss?
- What is the Best Time to Drink Green Tea?
- Types of Green Tea for Weight Loss
- Top Green Tea Brands in India
What is Green Tea?
Many people think that Green tea is a separate tea plant. However, you will be surprised to know that this variety comes from the same plant, Camellia Sinesis, which produces your regular black tea. The only difference is that the leaves are steamed first and the fermentation process is skipped, to avoid oxidation. This retains the natural green color of the leaves to make it into “Green” tea.
Is Green Tea Good for Weight Loss?
The efficacy of Green tea in promoting weight loss is backed by strong scientific and clinical evidence. According to a study made in 2010, Green tea contains a type of antioxidant called Catechin, along with moderate levels of Caffeine. Both these agents have shown beneficial effects on the body mass reduction in obese individuals, after putting them on a special green tea dosage for about 90 days. (2) Also, a decrease in the abdominal fat also was observed in the study, which strengthens our trust on its benefits.
How Green Tea Helps in Weight Loss?
Here are the major benefits of this miraculous drink that contribute towards weight loss.
1. Reduces Body Fat:
One cup of Green tea contains about 24-40mg of Caffeine. Although it is a small quantity, the effects are seen in the reduction in fat percentage. Caffeine is linked to fat burning by utilizing the deposited fat cells to fuel the energy. However, the results are slightly slower compared to other Caffeine based drinks like Coffee, but significant.
2. Increases Body Metabolism:
Green tea is loaded with flavonoids, among which Catechins are very important. Among them, epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) is known to play a vital role in boosting the metabolic rate. A combination of Caffeine and these catechins help in stimulating weight loss when taken in a said quantity.
See Also: Is Green Tea Good For Pregnant
3. Optimizes the Results of Weight Loss Exercises:
A clinical experiment was conducted on a few men who were given a green tea supplement pill before the workout. Results showed that these individuals had 17% more fat burning than those who did not take the pill. (3) This indicates the effectiveness of green tea when combined with a moderate-intensity exercise.
4. Cuts Down Abdominal Fat:
Along with being overweight, having a large belly can be quite frustrating. A type of fat deposited in the abdominal region called the Visceral fat. Having this in large quantities can lead to life-threatening diseases like diabetes and heart attacks. However, green tea, combined with exercise, has shown a noteworthy decrease in this harmful fat. (4)
How to Make Green Tea at Home for Weight Loss with Steps
Here is the step by step process of making green tea at home easily. You can prepare green tea at least in three ways. This section helps you know how to drink green tea for weight loss.
1. With Green Tea Leaves:
- If you have green tea leaves, pour the desired number of cups of water in a pan and add sufficient quantity of green leaves to it as per your preference.
- Boil the water until the leaves settle down in the bottom.
- Strain the green tea water in cups and add honey and lemon to it (optional)
- Your green tea is ready to drink!
2. With Green Tea Bags:
- If you have green tea bags, all that you need is a cup of hot water.
- You just have to dip the tea bag in hot water for a few minutes.
- Remove the bag and serve it immediately.
3. With Green Tea Powder:
- For one cup of green tea with powder, you have to take 1.5 spoons of green tea powder and one cup of water.
- Boil the water in a pan or bowl and add green tea powder to it.
- Mix well and leave it for 2-3 minutes to brew
- Strain and serve hot
Best Way to Drink Green Tea for Weight Loss
To improve the efficiency of Green tea in your weight loss journey, you need to consume it in the right way. Here’s how to consume this drink for witness better results:
- Consume green tea without sweeteners like honey or sugar. Also, strictly avoid combining it with milk or dairy.
- Have 2-3 cups of Green tea throughout the day, especially after meals for faster digestion.
- Maintain the temperature of the drink and ensure it is warm to hot.
- Having it with a dash of lime juice can enhance the taste and effectiveness of green tea.
How Much Green Tea Should You Drink for Weight Loss?
The dosage of Green tea varies from person to person, taking a number of factors into consideration. On an average, a healthy, non-pregnant or non-lactating person, without any chronic diseases like Diabetes or hypertension can consume anywhere between 3-5 cups of Green tea to lose weight. Overdose may upset your health.
What is the Best Time to Drink Green Tea?
The outcome of Green tea consumption on weight loss also depends on the time you have it. Here are the best times to drink it for maximizing the benefits:
- In-Between Meals – To break down your food particles and increase the nutrient absorption
- Before Exercise – For Effective fat burning
- Two Hours Before Bedtime – To increase metabolic rate during nights, when the usual metabolism is slowest. Also, the low doses of Caffeine don’t affect the quality of your sleep when you had two hours before you sleep.
Also, NEVER have green tea on an empty stomach, early in the morning. This can damage your liver and distort its activities.
Types of Green Tea for Weight Loss:
Most people are aware of only one basic type of green tea available in the market. However, there are many different varieties of this leaf, which taste different but have similar effects on body composition. Here are some of the popular slimming green tea types to know about:
i. Matcha Green Tea:
It is a ground powder form of the green tea leaves, originated in China, but popularised by the Japanese. This tea is known to have the highest level of antioxidants and catechins.
ii. Sencha Green Tea:
This is an elite variety of Green tea, which is famous in China and Japan. It has fruity undertones of peach and melon and is usually had as a snack or dessert replacement.
iii. Genmaicha Green Tea:
This type has a toasty flavor, which is acquired from blending the leaves with popped rice kernels. It is also known to give a satisfying feeling compared to the other green teas.
iv. Butter Green Tea:
This tea is a blend of three different types of teas – green tea, mate tea and Pu-erh tea. The tea has a unique grass like flavour and served with butter. This is often taken to reduce the food cravings and keep you energized for long.
Top Green Tea Brands in India
Listed below are some of the popular brands, known for their premium quality green tea products:
Which makes the finest Jasmine Green tea
2. Organic India
Renowned for classic Tulsi Green Tea
3. 24 Mantra Organic
Offers multiple variants at affordable prices
Has attractive steel box packaging with long leaf green tea
Natural flavoured green tea bags
Highly sold green tea in India
To summarize this article, Green tea does help in weight loss and tummy fat reduction. However, it is not a miracle drink and cannot be a replacement for a healthy diet and exercise program. Make green tea as a part of the weight reduction program for improved results. Also, it is important to speak to a doctor before trying it, as the effects can be different on each person. This article doesn’t make any recommendations or dietary advice on Green tea to reduce body weight.