Oligomenorrhea is the medical term used for irregular periods, a common problem many women face worldwide. The Standard or regular menstrual cycle varies between 28 to 35 days, ranging from woman to woman. We found home remedies for irregular periods in nature’s basket.
The menstrual cycle is an inevitable part of a woman’s life once she hits puberty. But many external factors that cause hormonal imbalances, along with lifestyle and lack of activity, pave the way for problems like irregular periods. If left untreated, this condition may have dire consequences causing unwanted stress. Take a look at this article for natural and safe home remedies for irregular periods.
- What Causes Irregular Periods
- Symptoms of Irregular Periods
- How Can You Prevent Irregular Periods
- Effective Home Remedies For Irregular Periods
What Causes Menstrual Irregularities:
Some of the underlying issues that cause irregular periods are:
- PCOS(Polycystic Ovary Syndrome): In this condition, ovaries fail to release eggs regularly due to the formation of a small collection of follicles resulting in prolonged or irregular periods.
- Thyroid: TSH or thyroid-stimulating hormone, plays a vital role in your periods. Your periods may be heavy, light, or irregular due to too much or too little of this hormone.
- Stress: The pituitary gland controls the hormones that help regulate your cycle, and pressure obstructs this gland resulting in irregular periods.
- Breastfeeding: Prolactin hormone restricts the production of reproductive hormones during lactation. This is the reason women experience irregular periods when they are breastfeeding.
- Endometriosis: This is a condition that causes pain and irregular periods due to tissue growth outside the uterus that you can usually find inside it.
Symptoms of Unusual Periods:
- Heavy bleeding.
- Very light period.
- Missed period.
- Menstrual cycle less than 20 days.
- Irregular menstrual cycle.
How Can You Prevent Irregular Periods:
By taking a few precautions and lifestyle changes, you can treat irregular periods effectively.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight: Obesity is the root cause of many health issues. By maintaining a healthy weight, you can help prevent irregular periods.
- Consume a Well-balanced Diet: A well-rounded diet is also important along with proper medication in regularizing your menstrual cycle. Include lots of fresh fruits and vegetables for a healthy lifestyle.
- Consider Exercising Regularly: Sitting idle, be it at work or home causes many health issues. Including a proper exercise routine in your daily activities is very beneficial in maintaining a healthy body which results in regular periods.
- Stay Stress-free: Although pressure and stress have become an inevitable part of our lives, practising breathing exercises and a positive approach towards life helps keep your stress levels down.
25 Home Based Remedies to Regulate Irregular Periods:
We present you with a list of the best home remedies for girls that you can try to regularize your periods. Pick the one that suits you the best.
1. Aloe Vera:
Aloe vera is considered a natural home remedy to treat irregular periods. It helps regulate the hormones in your body that increase menstrual flow. Make sure you try this remedy for a few months continuously for significant results (1).
- Aloe vera leaf.
- Spoonful honey.
- Squeeze the fresh gel out of the aloe vera leaf.
- Add honey to the gel and mix it well.
- Take this mixture before breakfast every day.
Precaution: During your periods, it is best to avoid this remedy.
2. Chia Seeds:
Nutrient-dense and rich source of fibre, chia seeds are one of the natural remedies for irregular menstruation. These seeds help reduce the level of cholesterol in the body, along with increasing blood flow. You can soak chia seeds and add them to your fruit juices or smoothies. Adding them to a dish like porridge can also be beneficial and add a particular crunch to the dish.
3. Evening Primrose Oil:
Available in the form of capsules, evening primrose oil can be taken orally or vaginally. Although there is no study proving the effectiveness of this oil on menstrual flow, it is very beneficial in treating many health concerns, including PMS (2). It also helps reduce inflammation since it contains gamma-linolenic acid.
Precaution: It is advisable not to take this oil if you are suffering from any blood disorders.
Consuming dates can be beneficial in inducing periods. This is because they help increase the heat in your body resulting in menstrual bleeding. Try to include dates in your diet in a measured quantity.
Precaution: Eating dates in excess amounts may increase your blood sugar levels.
5. Flax Seeds:
Balancing hormones is the key to maintaining the health of your body, which can be achieved with the lignans present in flax seeds. It helps reduce the levels of androgen in your body, making it a natural treatment for irregular periods (3). You can add a spoonful ground flax seeds to your smoothie or a bowl of porridge to include it into your diet.
Precaution: Consuming raw flax seeds may cause indigestion in some people.
See More: How to Lower Cholesterol Naturally
6. Fenugreek Seeds:
There are many health benefits of using fenugreek seeds; one of them is inducing periods. It helps expand and contract the uterus by acting as a uterine stimulant resulting in menstruation. Fenugreek seeds or methi is an effective treatment for irregular periods at home for people with delayed periods. (4)
- A spoonful of fenugreek seeds.
- A cup of hot water.
- Add the fenugreek seeds to a cup of boiling water and let it steep for a few minutes.
- Strain the contents into a cup.
Iron, folic acid, and calcium are available abundantly in beetroot to reduce symptoms during periods such as bloating and water retention. It is also a vegetable that increases blood content in your body that helps people suffering from anaemia. You can consume beetroot raw, or cook them slightly in butter with a sprinkle of salt.
8. Jaggery with Ginger, Sesame Seeds, and Carom Seeds:
The combination of ginger, sesame seeds, jaggery, and carom seeds help stimulate and increase the blood flow in the uterus, making it irregular periods treatment at home. It is the best option for people with a delayed menstrual cycle.
- A spoonful of grated ginger.
- Two spoonfuls of sesame seeds.
- Grated jaggery.
- Spoonful carom seeds.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix them well.
- Consume this mixture daily till got get significant results.
Cumin is loaded with health benefits that help regularize your periods and maintain the health of your internal system. It is easily available in any household.
- Two spoonfuls of cumin seeds.
- Two cups of water.
- Soak two spoonfuls of cumin seeds in two cups of water overnight.
- Strain the contents into a glass and drink it first thing in the morning.
- Consuming this mixture regularly helps regularize your periods.
Bromelain is an enzyme available abundantly in pineapple that helps start your period by shedding the lining of the uterus. It is a perfect home remedy for irregular menses and blood flow by producing more white and red blood cells. Include pineapple into your diet if you want to prepone your periods.
Precaution: There is a chance of increased blood flow if you consume this fruit in excess.
The deficiency of specific vitamins in your body results in many health problems.
- Intake of Vitamin D regulates the menstrual cycle as deficiency may cause irregular periods. Including foods like dairy products, milk that is a rich source of vitamin D is an effective home remedy in treating PCOS.
- People who would like to conceive are prescribed with vitamin B since it helps regulate periods (5) and also helps in PMS and its intensity (6).
- You can help reduce the PMS symptoms by consuming vitamin B6 and calcium supplements or foods abundant in these vitamins.
- Make sure you consult a doctor before you start taking any supplements.
12. Coriander Seeds:
The emmenagogue properties of coriander seeds make them the best home remedy for irregular menstruation. It helps increase the menstrual flow by regulating the cycle with the help of natural enzymes in it.
- One spoonful of coriander seeds.
- Three cups of water.
- Boil three cups of water and add coriander seeds to it.
- Once half the water is evaporated, switch the stove off.
- Strain the mixture into a glass.
- Drink this concoction at least three times a day.
13. Exercise and Yoga:
Proper exercise routine plays an essential role in regulating the menstrual cycle. Yoga helps lower the hormones that cause irregular periods by performing asanas for six months, five days a week for 35 to 40 minutes (7). Exercise and yoga help maintain a healthy weight, which is the primary reason that causes PCOS in women. Based on a study, yoga and relaxation techniques have been shown to be beneficial in reducing menstrual cramps and treating irregular periods. (8).
14. Unripe Papaya:
Unripe or green papaya invigorate estrogen hormone with the help of Carotene in it. It helps regulate the menstrual cycle by inducing periods. It is a natural treatment for irregular periods caused explicitly by menopause or stress.
- One papaya(raw).
- One spoonful of honey.
- Peel the skin of the papaya and cut it into pieces.
- Place the pieces into a juicer and make them into a smooth paste.
- Drink it daily; adding honey is optional.
Precaution: Avoid consuming this fruit during periods.
15. Fennel Seeds:
One of the natural ways to treat irregular periods is to chew some fennel seeds. It helps regulate the menstrual cycle boosting menstruation because of the emmenagogue compound. Fennel seed has antispasmodic properties that help relieve yourself from period cramps. It can be taken two weeks before your expected period.
- One glass of water.
- Two spoonfuls of fennel seeds.
- Soak fennel seeds in a glass of water overnight.
- Drink the concoction after straining the seeds.
- Repeat the process for at least three months.
16. Fresh Juices:
The effective functioning of your hormones can be attained by following healthy dietary habits. Drink any fresh juice every day without adding any sugar that can be healthy for your body and promote hormonal balance in your body. Grape and carrot juice are some examples of fluids that help treat irregular periods.
See More: How to Relieve Itchy Skin
17. Sesame Seeds with Honey:
Sesame seeds control the excess production of hormones with the help of lignans in it. It helps induce periods by contracting the uterine wall. (9)
- One cup of sesame seeds.
- Honey, according to taste.
- Take a pan and dry roast sesame seeds in it.
- Grind the roasted sesame seeds and store them well.
- Mix honey into a spoonful mixture and consume it in the latter part of the menstrual cycle.
Parsley acts as a natural remedy to treat irregular periods. It helps correct the hormonal imbalances and softens the cervix with its natural properties resulting in regularizing the menstrual cycle.
- A cup of water.
- Handful parsley.
- Wash the parsley thoroughly and place it in a blender.
- Blend the contents by adding a cup of water.
- Drink this juice every day till you get a regular menstrual cycle.
Maintaining proper hormonal balance is the key to a regular menstrual cycle. It helps the proper functioning of your hormonal system with iron, which is abundant in carrots.
- Three medium-sized carrots.
- A cup of water.
- Wash the carrots thoroughly and slice them into pieces.
- Add the pieces to a juicer.
- Drink the juice for at least three months every morning.
Precaution: Avoid drinking carrot juice during the menstrual cycle.
Turmeric acts as a perfect warming agent that has many anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. It is a natural treatment for irregular periods by stabilizing the hormones with its emmenagogue properties. You can add turmeric into your daily dishes too.
- A glass is full of warm milk.
- ¼ spoonful of turmeric.
- Take a warm glass of milk and add turmeric to it.
- Mix the contents well.
- Drinking this mixture before bed, every day till you get significant results.
Cinnamon is a herb available in almost every household. It is a beneficial home remedy for PCOS and irregular periods improving the menstrual cycle. It also helps ease the cramps during periods that help treat irregular periods. (10)
- One glass of milk.
- Half a spoonful of cinnamon powder.
- Take a glass of warm milk and add half a spoonful cinnamon powder.
- Mix the contents well and drink it every day.
- Continue drinking this concoction for a few weeks.
Grapes are a seasonal fruit that is considered one of the best home remedies to treat irregular periods. It helps regulate the blood flow during the menstrual cycle in teenage girls and women equally. Incorporating grapes into your diet can be useful in treating premenstrual syndrome and are delicious. It helps maintain the health of the reproductive system of women.
Precaution: Overconsumption of grapes can cause loose motions.
Although it is expensive, the nutritional qualities of saffron help give you a healthy menstrual flow by balancing the hormones in your body (11). It is the best home remedy for irregular periods.
- Half a cup of water.
- One spoonful of saffron.
- Take half a cup of water and a spoonful of saffron into a bowl.
- Boil the contents until the solution reduces into a spoonful solution.
- Divide the reduced solution into three parts and drink it thrice every day.
24. Bitter Gourd:
The chance of having irregular periods becomes high for people who have diabetes. Bitter gourd is a perfect solution that helps balance insulin levels in the blood, regularizing it. It also helps shed the blocked blood by contracting the uterus. You can either prepare juice with this vegetable or curry regularly till you get the desired results.
See More: At Home Treatments for Neck Pain
25. Buttermilk and Radish Seeds:
Radish seeds help regulate the menstrual cycle making it a natural remedy for irregular periods by rectifying the hormonal imbalances in your body. Consuming this concoction daily for three months improves the irregularity in your periods.
- Powdered radish seeds.
- A glass of buttermilk.
- Take a glass of buttermilk.
- Add two spoonfuls of radish seeds powder and mix it well.
26. Basil Leaves:
Basil leaves act as a natural treatment for irregular menstruation. It mimics natural estrogen with the high amounts of iron in it. It is available easily and can effectively use without causing side effects.
- A handful of basil leaves.
- Spoonful honey.
- Pinch of black pepper.
- A cup of water.
- Add the basil leaves to a cup of water and boil them.
- Extract the juice and place it in a bowl.
- Sprinkle some black pepper along with a spoonful of honey.
- Mix the contents well and consume them every day for significant results.
27. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Consuming Apple cider vinegar first thing in the morning can be beneficial in regulating periods. Unstable blood sugar and disturbed insulin are some of the leading causes of irregular periods. It is considered the best remedy for irregular periods since it regulates insulin levels in your body, which in turn regularizes the menstrual cycle. (12)
- 1-2 spoonfuls of apple cider vinegar.
- One glass of water.
- Add the two spoonfuls of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.
- Mix the contents well and drink it first thing in the morning.
Caution: Some people may not like apple cider vinegar; it takes some getting used to.
Asafoetida acts as a natural cure for irregular periods by treating hormonal imbalances in your body. It helps you have a steady menstrual cycle, especially in teenagers. It is a common ingredient found in many households with a strong flavour.
- Half a spoonful of asafoetida powder.
- Spoonful ghee.
- A glass of milk.
- A spoonful of honey.
- Fry the asafoetida powder in a spoonful of ghee.
- Add the mixture to the glass of milk.
- Add some honey to the mixture and mix it well.
- Drinking this potion at least twice a day helps treat irregular periods.
29. Roots of Banyan Tree:
Banyan tree roots is an ancient ayurvedic home remedy for irregular periods that effectively regularize your menstrual cycle. Drink the concoction prepared from the roots of the banyan tree once a day for significant results.
- Banyan roots.
- A cup of water.
- Three spoonful milk.
- Take a cup of water in a bowl and add the banyan roots to it.
- Boil the contents for a few minutes and let it steep.
- Strain the contents into a cup.
- Add three spoonfuls of milk to the mixture and drink it daily for three months before bedtime.
Many factors cause irregular periods in women in the reproductive phase; From underlying medical conditions like thyroid to a sudden change in your lifestyle. It is always better to get treated with simple home remedies for irregular periods to consult a doctor if they are not sufficient. These home remedies have no side effects, so choose the treatment that suits you best.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is tips and suggestions and not a replacement for medical advice. It is always best to consult a doctor to treat any medical condition or bring significant changes in your lifestyle.
1. What Are The Side Effects If You Leave Irregular Periods Untreated?
Ans: If you don’t get treatment for irregular periods immediately, it may cause significant side effects. Some of them are:
- Hormonal imbalances result in mood swings.
- Water retention due to hormonal disturbance in the body results in bloating.
- Tenderness of breasts.
- Sudden weight gain or sudden weight loss.
- Increases the chance of PCOS.
2. Does The Ovulation Cycle Gets Affected Due To Irregular Periods?
Ans: Irregular periods make it difficult to track the ovulation cycle. You can have periods without ovulating, and ovulate without having to bleed like a period. Although many causes result in irregular periods, it makes the possibility of getting pregnant more problematic as it affects ovulation.
3. What Are The Effects Birth Control Pills Have On Your Periods?
Ans: Doctors prescribe medications for people with irregular periods which generally don’t have any side effects:
- Regulation of normal menstrual flow is possible with birth control pills.
- If you are suffering from PCOS, birth control pills can be useful in inducing a period.
- Spotting is an effect due to these pills.
- Once you start using birth control pills, it takes a few cycles to regulate your periods.