Are people around you complaining about your habit of loud snoring at night? Snoring is one condition that can affect the quality of your sleep as well. Snorers are more prone to getting heart attacks! It is best to find out and adhere to some safe and simple home remedies to stop snoring.
Table Of Content
- What Is Snoring
- Causes Of Snoring
- Home Remedies For Snoring
- Tips To Avoid Loud Snoring
- Tips To Avoid Snoring In Children
- Risk Factors
- When To Consult Doctor
- Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Snoring?
Snoring occurs due to the narrowing of the airway and vibration in the walls of the throat. Almost all people snore, but it is a chronic problem only for some and can be a symptom of a serious health problem. There are several reasons why a person snores. Let us learn more about snoring and how to address it with tips to avoid snoring while sleeping.
What Causes Snoring:
Several factors influence snoring; here are some tips to avoid snoring while sleeping:
1. Anatomy Of Mouth:
It is important as to whether one has a low, thick soft palate as it can narrow the airway. Overweight people may have extra tissues at the back of their throats, which may narrow their airways. Similarly, if the uvula is elongated, there can be obstruction of airflow and an increase in vibration.
2. Consumption Of Alcohol:
This can bring on snoring as alcohol tends to relax the throat muscles and decreases the natural defenses against airway obstruction.
Many people ask, can stress cause snoring? Stress may cause sleep problems, and having anxiety further exacerbates the issue. The increased muscle tension puts stress on the jaw joints and forces the tongue back, narrowing the airway. This results in snoring and sleep disruption.
The membranes in the nose and throat get irritated with smoking. This, in turn, blocks the airways and causes snoring.
See Also: Natural Ways To Quit Smoking Fast
5. Sleep Deprivation:
When there is a lack of sufficient sleep, it leads to throat relaxation and causes snoring.
15 Best Home Remedies For Snoring:
Here we have compiled some amazing snoring remedies that work. Read on to find the best way to avoid snoring with these simple anti-snoring remedies. Check them out to ensure that you and those around you sleep peacefully
Peppermint has a strong aroma. The reason behind snoring to occur is due to dry air penetrating the nostrils or may be caused by blocked nostrils due to cold. Peppermint clears the sinuses and makes it easy to breathe.
- Peppermint oil.
- You can add the peppermint essential oil, which is readily available in the market to your humidifier, or you could spray it on a piece of cloth and inhale.
- Add a few drops of peppermint oil to hot water, and inhaling would also help.
- Another option would be to add the peppermint oil to your bathtub and soak in.
When And How Long To Do:
- Do this daily at bedtime.
- By doing so, you can reduce the intensity of snoring and cure.
Precautions: Since the peppermint essential oil is a natural extract, there will not be any relative side effects unless you are allergic to strong aromas.
Cardamom, which enriches the taste of sweets and some other traditional recipes, also has the power to combat common causes of snoring. It is being an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant ingredient, cardamom accelerates good sleep and resolves snoring.
- Warm water
- Take a few cardamoms and powder them using a blender.
- In a glass of warm water add half a teaspoon of cardamom powder
- Drink this every night before hitting the bed.
When And How Long To Do: Do this daily.
Precautions: Those who do not like the aroma of cardamom can choose to ignore this remedy
See Also: Proven Cardamom Benefits
Nettle is an extraordinary herb, which prevents the release of histamines – the inflammatory substances that block the airway. And especially its leaf works well in addressing snoring due to cold. It naturally has the power to resolve congestion in the nostrils that cause snoring.
- Nettle Tea Leaves or pure nettle tea powder
- Make tea decoction with the nettle tea leaves or powder, just like regular tea.
When And How Long To Do: Drink up the nettle tea and drive away snoring
Precautions: There are no side effects in this remedy.
4. Olive Oil:
Olive oil is one of the most sought after oils for cooking today. It has additional benefits alongside being a health enricher. It has the power to combat snoring caused due to inflammation and blockage of airways. Olive oil relaxes the tissues that are located around the respiratory passages, thereby clearing the airways for easy breathing.
- Olive oil
- Take a teaspoon of olive oil.
- You could add a few drops of honey to it before drinking.
When And How Long To Do: Drink this every night before going to bed.
Precautions: There are no side effects to this remedy
5. Chamomile Tea:
Among herbal remedies for snoring problems, Chamomile works the best. It has exceptional health benefits and known for its power to relax muscles and nerves. This flower-based remedy eases the muscles around the nose and throat, thereby reducing the effect of snoring. This also has anti-inflammatory properties that help in addressing snoring. This remedy works well when taken in the form of tea.
- Chamomile tea
- To make chamomile tea, take a vessel, and add a glass of water.
- Allow it to boil.
- Once the water is ready, add a few chamomile flowers to the water.
- Another option would be to use ready to dip chamomile tea bags
- If you are using flowers, let them boil for a few minutes on low flame.
- Once ready, strain the tea with some honey to enhance the taste.
When And How Long To Do: Drink this tea daily at night and watch the snoring go away.
Precautions: Chamomile is a herbal product and there are no observed side effects with this remedy
Turmeric known for its antiseptic and antibiotic properties helps in reducing mucus causing snoring. Add turmeric with milk is often suggested as one of the most promising home remedies for a lot of health issues, especially anything related to flu and is used for reducing the effect of snoring.
- Take a glass of warm milk.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric to it and stir well.
When And How Long To Do: Drink the turmeric milk every night half an hour before going to bed. This helps in strengthening the immune system and helps to reduce snoring.
Precautions: Make sure the turmeric you use is pure and does not contain any chemicals; otherwise, you cannot gain its full benefit.
Garlic is an exclusive food ingredient that enriches most of the Indian dishes. Apart from Indian recipes, garlic is used in other cuisines too. Apart from enhancing good health, garlic helps in easing the nasal passages and for severe snoring, thereby reducing snoring. It helps by diluting the mucus that blocks the nasal passages. For those who suffer from snoring due to allergies, sinus, or the common cold, garlic is the best home remedy.
- Garlic Cloves
- Take a couple of garlic cloves and chew them raw.
- You can also add garlic to your everyday recipes
When And How Long To Do: Chew the garlic cloves daily half an hour before bedtime. Drink adequate water. This will help in clearing the mucus-blocked airways, which automatically resolve the problem of snoring.
Precautions: Garlic may cause bad breath due to its pungent smell, therefore drink a lot of water and rinse the mouth.
Honey, which is used as one of the key ingredients for snoring in children home remedies and home treatments, has several medicinal values. Apart from being an instant energy booster, honey has the ability to cure a number of health problems related to the nasal passages and the digestive system. Honey is an anti-inflammatory agent, which helps in reducing the inflammation of the nasal and the throat areas, thereby clearing the airways, which automatically reduces snoring.
- Herbal tea
- Take a glass of warm water.
- Add 1 teaspoon honey and stir well.
- You can also drink any herbal tea with honey in it.
When And How Long To Do: Drink this before going to bed daily, and you will soon begin to notice the difference in your sleep with reduced snoring.
Precautions: Honey usually does not have any side effects unless it is not pure.
See Also: Honey For Throat Pain
9. Clarified Butter:
Clarified butter, the most aromatic ghee that enriches most of our sweets and other delicious food items, also is an anti-snoring agent. Ghee or clarified butter, which comes with high medicinal value, helps in unblocking the nasal passages, thereby addressing and resolving the problem of snoring.
- Take a teaspoon of ghee and warm it up. Do not allow it to get very hot.
- Let the ghee turns into a liquid state and is just warm to touch.
- Take a dropper and add two to three drops into each nostril before going to bed.
When And How Long To Do:
- Do this before going to bed and repeat when you wake up the next morning.
- Keep doing it, and after a few times, you will see improvement in your snoring.
Precautions: Make sure that the ghee is pure and has no other additives in it.
Sage is a popular savior herb that is used to enrich the taste of authentic food dishes. Can a sore throat cause snoring? Sage is a vital ingredient that drives snoring away. Sage is good at working as an anti-inflammatory agent, especially against cold, sore throat, and snoring caused by any temporary illness or blockage of airways.
- Sage oil
- Coconut oil
- Since most of us prefer an easy remedy. You can choose the sage essential oil, which is readily available in the market.
- Take one teaspoon of coconut oil and add around five to six drops of sage essential to it.
- Use this as an external balm or reliever by applying it on your chest before going to bed.
When And How Long To Do: Do this on a regular basis, and you will see excellent improvement in snoring.
Precautions: Ensure that you use pure sage essential oil that has no additives in it.
Eucalyptus is believed to have medicinal properties that can be used to treat certain disease conditions like the swine flu. It can also be used to rectify and resolve the problem of snoring. Eucalyptus has the power to dilute the mucus that causes congestion in the nasal passages.
- Eucalyptus Oil.
- Buy a bottle of eucalyptus essential oil, or if you have leaves then nothing like it!
- Take a few drops of the eucalyptus essential oil. Rub gently on the rim of the nose. This will help you breathe in the aroma of the oil. This will ensure that you inhale it into your nasal passages.
When And How To Do: Do this every night before going to bed to combat snoring.
Precautions: Make sure the eucalyptus essential oil is pure.
12. Lose weight:
If one is overweight, then losing weight will help in the reduction of the amount of tissue in the throat that has been causing the snoring. Poor muscle tone and fatty tissue can also cause snoring. One can lose weight by reducing the overall caloric intake. One can also eat smaller portions and more healthy food with regular exercise daily.
13. Treat Nasal Issues:
Chronic nasal congestion, a crooked partition between nostrils as in a deviated nasal septum may cause you to snore. The misalignment of the wall, which separates both sides of the nose, restricts the airflow. This may cause one to breathe via the mouth and cause snoring. The best way to sleep to avoid snoring is to undergo surgery to correct this condition.
See Also: Nasal Congestion Home Remedies
Sweet marjoram is an aromatic herb. It has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties and can help to treat snoring. It helps to open up airway passages and tones the muscle in the throat area, easing breathing.
- Marjoram oil
- 8-10 sniffs are recommended.
- Another option would be to apply the oil in the area between the nose and upper lip.
When And How Long To Do: Do this daily at night, and within 2-3 days, you will be able to notice a difference in the snoring.
Precautions: Do a small patch test with this oil as some types of skin may be sensitive to the oil.
Ginger acts as an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agent. It increases saliva secretion. This soothes the throat and provides relief from snoring. The combination of ginger and honey aids in lubricating the tissues in the throat and opening up the nasal cavity. This allows smooth airflow.
- Lemon juice
- Take a vessel.
- Add ginger and pour 1 cup boiling water over it.
- Allow it to steep for 3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and honey in a cup.
- Strain the ginger tea into the cup.
- Stir to dissolve the honey and add more honey or lemon juice according to taste.
When And How Long To Do: Drink this daily until the snoring improves.
Precautions: Excess of ginger can sometimes cause mouth and throat irritation with some abdominal discomfort.
Tips to Avoid Loud Snoring
The cause of snoring and how to stop are:
1. Change in Sleeping Posture:
One of the major things that one can do for a safe home remedial treatment is to change one’s sleeping posture. Several times, it so happens that our wrong sleeping position is what causes snoring while sleeping. By following this simple change in habit, you can actually see a great improvement in snoring.
2. Quit Smoking:
Can smoking cause snoring? One of the major causes of snoring in men is smoking. This is another habit that leads to many problems, including snoring. Smoking tends to irritate the membranes of the throat and nose. If you are searching for a home remedy for snoring, then one of the simplest things to do is to quit the habit of smoking. This will go a long way toward achieving the goals.
By having a strict exercise regimen each day for at least 30 minutes will help you tone the muscles of the throat that causes snoring. Exercises have added the benefit of keeping you fit and active. This is one of the natural home remedies that you can use for the treatment of snoring. Make sure you follow it regularly. Anti-snoring throat exercises are an ideal way to achieve the right outcome.
Usually, dry air in the room tends to irritate the membranes in the nasal passage, and this leads to snoring. By keeping a humidifier in the room, you can keep the air moist and thus treat snoring in the perfect possible manner.
5. Elevation of Head:
Use pillows to help reduce snoring. While lying on the bed for the night, make sure your headboard is a bit elevated, allowing your head to rest a few inches above your body level. By doing this, you are creating an obstruction in the path that links the soft palate and the nasal cavity, thereby preventing excess air from seeping in and cause snoring.
Tips To Avoid Snoring In Children
Did you know children also snore sometimes? Well! Yes! They do! The causes of snoring in children are sometimes due to reasons like nasal obstruction, just like in adults. Here are some quick simple tips for you to address and resolve snoring in children.
- Snoring in children sometimes happens due to a nasal allergy where the airways in the nostrils get blocked due to excessive production of mucus. In such a situation, you can use eucalyptus oil or any strong aromatic herbal balm for them to sniff and take a deep breath. This helps in clearing the nasal passages.
- Ensure that your kids eat on time and sleep on time. Some kids who do not eat and sleep on time may experience snoring.
- See that your children do minimum exercise every day. Obesity in children is another reason to trigger snoring.
- Give kids some warm water with honey or warm milk with a pinch of turmeric every night before they hit the bed.
- Make sure your kids use the right kind of pillows and ensure that the fan is not right above them because when there is more wind blowing on their face, the nostrils tend to create mucus so as to restrict the excessive airflow.
Risk Factors Due To Snoring:
1. Sleep Apnea:
Can snoring cause sleep apnea? Snoring has several risk factors, and one of the more serious ones is sleep apnea. This is a serious sleep disorder where breathing stops and starts. Obstructive sleep apnea is a more common form that occurs when the throat muscles relax.
2. Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome:
This is a disorder of breathing during sleep. Obstructive sleep apnea raises the risk for diabetes, hypertension, obesity, heart attack, stroke, and other cardiovascular problems. In obstructive sleep apnea, the tissues at the back of the throat collapse.
3. Central Sleep Apnea:
Unlike OSA, here, the airway is not blocked. The brain fails to send a signal to the muscles to breathe. This is due to instability in the respiratory control center.
When To Consult A Doctor?
When the following symptoms occur, then is the time that you should consult a doctor.
- Excessive daytime sleeping during normal waking hours.
- Becoming irritable and unable to concentrate.
- Fatigue and not feeling rested in the morning.
- People around you witness you stop and start breathing during sleep.
When you visit a doctor, he can check you to see if you have a mouth or jaw abnormality. This may be causing nasal obstruction and disrupting your sleep.
Snoring is a menace caused mostly due to poor lifestyle changes. It is becoming more common to find a number of snorers on the rise. Now that you know all the best home treatments and herbal home remedies to stop snoring, use them, and sleep well! Please do share with us your thoughts by commenting below and letting us know which remedy helped you the best.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. What Is A CPAP And Who Can Use Them?
CPAPS are continuous positive airway pressure devices used for sleep disorders. They are a useful device for moderate or severe sleep apnea. These devices distribute compressed air into airways and prevent them from closing. Even though initially, these devices may feel uncomfortable in the long run, they are highly effective. CPAPs are used by people of all ages, including children. One must use CPAP regularly for maximum benefit.
2. Men Snore More Than Women, Is It A Myth?
It is true that men snore more than women. Men are born with narrower air passages when compared to women. This can cause them to snore. During normal breathing, the smaller the airway is the more difficult it is for air to flow. Certain lifestyle habits like alcohol causes snoring, and smoking add to loud snoring causes. Sometimes it runs in the family, and as they grow older, the more they tend to snore.
3. Are There Different Sounds In Snoring And What Do They Mean?
There are different sounds made while snoring. The sounds vary depending on where the vibrations and obstructions are. It has not been established whether snoring sound can be used to diagnose obstructive sleep apnea. Early studies have revealed that sleep apnea-related-snoring has a higher peak frequency than habitual snoring.
Disclaimer: The home remedies and tips mentioned in the article are for general awareness purposes. They should not be construed as professional medical advice. If your condition worsens, please consult your doctor or take the advice of a professional healthcare provider.