Mouth ulcers are annoying little blisters inside the mouth. They are also called Canker sores. Mouth ulcers are very common and don’t take long to clear up, however there is no quick fix. It takes about a week to heal and in sometimes take longer. However, eating soft food with less spice can be much less troublesome. They can come up any where either cheeks or gums or inside of the lips. They are uncomfortable to deal with and hurt while consuming food and, in some cases, also while talking. Home remedies are the best treatment for mouth ulcers. They are easily available at home and are harmless. It is very rare for mouth ulcers to be a sign of any serious health issue, however, if it comes frequently or does not heal even after 3-4 weeks of treatment, it is recommended to ask for professional assistance.
What are the Causes of Mouth Ulcers:
- An injury can cause mouth ulcers; like accidently biting.
- Excess acidic or spicy foods can cause mouth ulcers
- Poor fitting dentures or braces could cause injury due to the edges and hence cause mouth ulcers.
- Excess heat produced by the body can cause mouth ulcers
- Deficiency of Vitamin B12, iron or folic acid and other nutritional deficiency also caused mouth ulcers
- Viral, Bacterial or fungal infection or improper oral hygiene can cause Canker sores
- Lack of sleep or insomnia aggravates mouth ulcers
- Hormonal disturbances
- Food allergy
- Stress has many harmful affects and most commonly gives mouth ulcers
- Constipation or gastrointestinal diseases.
Common Symptoms of Mouth Ulcers:
- Some ulcers are more serious also known as Herpetiform Ulceration which looks like herpes but is not contagious. They are more painful and recur often.
- Mouth ulcers are painful lesions that can appear anywhere in the mouth. Back of the lips or inside of the cheek are most common places.
- They are usually red with white patches or just red.
- They hurt when you consume something spicy or crunchy.
What Type of Precautions have to Take:
- First and foremost is that one should maintain a healthy oral hygiene. It is important to brush twice a day and also use a gentle mouth wash if you are prone to mouth ulcers.
- Avoid foods that cause the ulcers like spicy food and also foods that are more acidic in nature.
- Stay stress free, as stress can cause mouth ulcers.
- Avoid tools or foods with sharp edges that can cause injury.
- Drink plenty of water to keep the mouth clean and it also flushes out all the toxins.
- Maintain a balanced nutritional diet.
- Sleep well.
Best Natural Home Remedies for Mouth Ulcers:
Let’s find here with mentioned top 25 home remedies to get cure your mouth ulcers instantly.
1. Honey Application:
The anti microbial properties and healing agents in honey makes it a perfect home product to treat the ulcers in the mouth. Honey has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties which help in easy digestion process and is also an excellent ingredient to cure mouth ulcers at home. Honey is very safe for children and pregnant woman to consume as it boosts immunity and is an excellent home remedy to treat food poisoning. Children below the age one year should not consume honey to avoid botulism.
- Take pure honey
- You can use turmeric to mix in it too!
- You can either apply the honey directly on the ulcers or else mix it with a little turmeric and use.
- Use this for 2-3 days twice daily and your mouth ulcers will be gone.
See More: Home Remedies For Vertigo
2. Fresh Coconut Milk:
Coconut milk during pregnancy is very safe and a very effective way to treat mouth ulcers during pregnancy. Coconut water or milk prevents dehydration and nausea and hence good for pregnant woman. It is healthy for children to drink coconut milk every day and is a very good cure for mouth ulcers.
- Grate some fresh coconut and extract the milk from it.
- To extract coconut milk, add the grated coconut to a mixer jar and add 1 cup of water to it
- Grind until the grated coconut becomes one with the water
- Strain it using a muslin cloth and your coconut milk is ready!
- Store it in an airtight jar and refrigerate.
- This freshly extracted coconut milk should be used to swish the mouth 3-4 times in a day and till the time the ulcers subside completely.
- It is one of the effective home remedies for mouth ulcers to use without much effort.
3. Poppy Seeds For Mouth Ulcers:
Have poppy seeds if you have mouth ulcers. Heating up of the body is one of the reasons for mouth ulcers and poppy seeds help the body cool down and soothe. This should be included in the meals or sprinkled on the salads to get maximum benefits. This is the best home remedies for mouth ulcers. Poppy seeds are completely safe to consume during pregnancy however in moderation. It is also safe for children to consume as they are good for digestion and improve bone heath.
Poppy seeds are readily available in supermarkets. So just pick a small packet of the same. You can ask for Kas Kas in Hindi or Gasaalu in Telugu.
Add dry roasted poppy seeds to your curries or sprinkle some on the salads to get maximum benefits.
See More: Warts Removal Home Remedy
4. Alternate Hot/Cold Treatment:
Hot and cold home remedy is absolutely for both children and pregnant woman. As long as it is not too hot to burn the skin or cause more trouble, it is completely safe. This alternate hot/cold treatment will help in reduction of the ulcers and finally the treatment.
- Take a glass of cold water and a glass of warm water.
- Make sure the water is lukewarm and you don’t end up worsening the ulcers with hot water.
- Keep a glass of cold water and a glass of warm water and alternatively use it to gargle the mouth.
- Repeat this twice every day for two or three days and get best relief from mouth ulcers.
5. Fenugreek Leaves:
Fenugreek seeds help with digestion n children and are very famously recommended for pregnant and breastfeeding moms for various factors. Hence the fenugreek seeds as a natural remedy is completely safe for healing mouth ulcers.
- Take about 2 cups of water and to this add a cup of fenugreek leaves.
- Soak for some time before you strain it
- Using this water, swish the mouth.
- It will definitely help in curing the issues of ulcers in the mouth.
- This is one of the best home natural remedies for mouth ulcers.
See More: Natural Remedies For Sinus
6. Orange Juice:
This is one liquid highly rich in Vitamin C. There are a lot of times when the deficiency of this vitamin leads to ulcers in the mouth. Orange juice contains Vitamin C which is excellent for children and hence completely safe treatment for mouth ulcers in children. Too much orange juice can lead to heart burn in pregnant woman, well otherwise an excellent remedy for mouth ulcers. Pregnant woman can still try out this remedy with moderate amounts.
- Take fresh oranges and using a manual or electric juicer, extract the juice.
- You could also pick up packaged orange juice that has no added flavours or colours.
Take fresh orange juice each day until you are assured of proper treatment of the ulcers. This orange juice surely cures your mouth ulcers.
7. Peppermint Oil:
Peppermint oil is great for getting rid of mouth ulcers. You will see quick and effective results in a couple of days of usage and you will see them vanishing in about a week’s time. Peppermint oil although has many health benefits, it is not recommended for pregnant woman more than 2-3 drops. Children under the age of 6 should avoid peppermint oil.
Take a few drops of peppermint oil and a clean cotton ball
- Dip the clean cotton ball in the peppermint oil and dab it on the mouth ulcers 1-2 times in a day.
- Repeat until you see the ulcers gone.
8. Mulberry Juice For Mouth Ulcers:
A good and delicious way in which you can follow a home remedy for mouth ulcers is to have fresh mulberry juice. It will surely help you in getting the right outcomes on the discomforting boils. Mulberry juice is very good for health for its iron content. It is completely safe for children. Pregnant woman should not consume mulberry juice as it is harmful for them.
- Mulberry juice is readily available in supermarkets.
- Buy a bottle of mulberry juice
- If you want to make it at home, buy fresh mulberries
- Wash them thoroughly
- Add them to a liter water and boil them until they are tender and soft
- Once they boil well and the juice starts oozing out, strain the water and keep aside.
- Now, take the mulberries and crush them well.
- Now, using a muslin cloth, strain the crushed mulberries well
- You can use this thick paste as it is or mix it with the water you strained and kept aside earlier.
Drink mulberry juice every day and you will see your ulcers vanish!
9. Chew Basil Leaves:
Basil leaves have a lot of other benefits for the body if chewed. Gastric issues and bloating can also be treated with this aspect. It is one of the easiest natural herbal remedies for mouth ulcers. It is recommended that pregnant woman consume basil leaves in moderation only. It is a very good source of nutrients and very safe for children to consume and an excellent home remedy for mouth ulcers.
Pluck fresh basil leaves from your backyard if you have a plant.
If you don’t have a plant at home, you could just pick a pack of fresh basil leaves from your local market.
Chew on about 5-6 basil leaves each day followed by a sip of water. This is one of the easy and the right ways in which you can treat the mouth ulcers.
10. Avoiding Acidic Foods And Drinks:
Acidic foods and drinks can enhance the ulcer and make it worse. Carbohydrate drinks, spicy foods and citrus drinks will come in handy while you’re fighting against mouth ulcer. These foods will also reduce the effects of mouth ulcer and eliminate the inflammation feeling within the mouth. Chewing anti-acid tablets will also help in reducing the mouth ulcer. Acidic food and drinks should be completely avoided by pregnant woman and children at all times. They also aggravate mouth ulcers.
11. Licorice Root:
Licorice root is an amazing ingredient to fight mouth ulcers effectively. Licorice is a plant from which sweet flavor is extracted. It is a really primitive technique for treating mouth ulcer but is still used by people. Licorice in very small amounts is safe for children to consume. It is however not recommended for pregnant woman.
- Licorice is available in the market but in specific stores. If you find it, well and good!
- Take the root part of it, crush it well and soak in two to three cups of water.
It works great when you apply it in the mouth and rinse it afterward. One can use this before going to sleep.
12. Sea Salt And Hydrogen Peroxide:
If you are looking for an instant and quick home remedy for mouth ulcer, the combination of sea salt and hydrogen peroxide is the best! Both sea salt and hydrogen peroxide have anti-inflammatory properties which will help in fixing mouth ulcer problems. It can cure mouth ulcers instantly. External application of this is fine but consuming it is not safe for pregnant woman or children.
All you have to do is add two tablespoons of sea salt to not less than 4% of hydrogen peroxide to a glass of moderately heated water.
Use this to fix the mouth ulcer within one or two days. Get instant relief from the pain you’re going through.
13. Baking Soda for Mouth Ulcers:
Yes! Baking soda can treat mouth ulcer. It contains sodium bicarbonate which is helpful to treat the damage caused by acidic foods to the ulcer. It will neutralize the acid content which caused the ulcer and also eliminate all type of germs and bacteria present in the mouth. Baking soda can be consumed in limited quantities for both children and pregnant woman.
Buy and keep a small pack of baking soda handy at home always!
- Take a little baking soda and place it on the ulcer. You may feel slight burning, don’t worry, that means the baking soda is working!
- Repeat this once or twice for 2 days and your mouth ulcers will be gone!
14. Aloe Vera:
Aloe vera has tons of internal and external benefits for the human body. It can fix a number of side effects caused due to mouth ulcer. It will take some time to cure the ulcer problem but the effect will last longer compared to all other remedies. Aloe vera is very good for health and has many health benefits in children. It is completely safe for children. Aloe vera increases uterine contractions due to which it is not safe to consume during pregnancy.
- Take two tablespoons of aloe vera.
- You can soak it too!
- You can use freshly extracted aloevera or edible aloevera from the market.
- Apply the aloevera on the mouth ulcer directly
- You can also eat raw aloe vera after soaking it in water for a while.
15. Applying Sugar Candy On The Blister:
Here is an effective natural remedy for treating mouth ulcer. This remedy has been in practice for a long time and is considered to be one of the simplest and inexpensive mouth ulcer home remedies. Sugar candy is very soothing and very good for treating mouth ulcers at home. Children love it and is does not cause any harm. Pregnant woman can also consume it however in moderate quantities.
Take some edible camphor and add it with sugar candy. Sugar candy is also known as mishri which can be found in almost all departmental and daily need stores.
Eat the delicious sugar candy with camphor twice a day for 2 days and watch your mouth ulcers disappear.
16. Turmeric Powder Along With Glycerin:
We all are aware of the benefits and different uses of turmeric. When used with glycerin, turmeric powder can work great and give out an effective solution which can further be applied on the ulcer. Turmeric is known as the queen of spices and is very safe for pregnant woman and children to consume. However, like any other spice, it is better to consume turmeric in moderate quantity.
For making the best mixture you will have to take one teaspoon of glycerin along with a small pinch of turmeric powder.
Apply this mixture on your mouth ulcers for two days, twice a day.
17. Celery For Mouth Ulcers:
This is one of the most important and easiest home remedies for mouth ulcer. This is probably one of the best home remedies for treating mouth ulcer which can done by anyone. The vegetable comes with is loaded with vitamin B1, B2, C, etc. Celery has negative calories, and helps the body lose the excess water retention. However, this could cause dehydration hence if consumed by pregnant woman or kids, its better to drink adequate water too.
Take fresh celery, wash it thoroughly
You can simply chew on celery and that will cure the ulcer problem. Chewing this vegetable for quite some time such as for 10minutes will cure the mouth ulcer.
Consuming salad is one of the simple home remedies for mouth ulcer. Raw salad with tons of onions will help in reducing mouth ulcer. This will not have an instant effect but will surely reduce the mouth ulcer issue within a few days. Raw salads are best to avoid during pregnancy for the risk of any virus or bacteria, which die only when thoroughly cooked. It is completely safe for kids to consume salads as long as they are thoroughly washed.
- Take the vegetables of your choice.
- Tomato, onion, zucchini, cucumber, olives, tofu, carrot etc
- Wash them thoroughly and cut them into small pieces
- Add salad dressing to enhance the taste.
Eat salads when you have mouth ulcers and you will get best relief!
Plain yogurt can cure the mouth ulcer. However, this is not the only remedy that you should look forward to. You cannot cure ulcer just by consuming yogurt. Yogurt is very soothing and is completely safe to consume during pregnancy and also for kids.
- Buy a pack of plain yogurt from the supermarket.
- Before using, take it out of the refrigerator and let it come to
Along with other possible remedies, eat some plain yogurt to enhance the curing process.
20. Ice Cube Tricks:
Application of ice is surely and an effective home remedy for the ulcer. Alongside that, it is recommended that you use a soft toothbrush while you’re experiencing the ulcer problems. A hard toothbrush and a harsh way of brushing can make the condition of the ulcer a lot worse than it is for now. Excessive use of ice cubes can potentially cause throat irritation in both pregnant woman and children. However external application of ice cubes on the ulcer is soothing and cause no harm.
Take an ice cube, fresh and clean
- Place the ice cube on the affected area. This will make the mouth ulcer go away and will also clean your mouth.
- Applying ice on the affected area will, however, give you a burning and tingling sensation which is natural but a bit disturbing for a few people.
21. Cranberry Juice For Mouth Ulcers:
When will the berries come in handy? This is a tasty and easy way to treat mouth ulcer. If you’re looking for an easy natural remedy for treating mouth ulcer then this might be the perfect one for you. Cranberries should be avoided if you have gestational diabetes, otherwise it is a great remedy to treat mouth ulcers among pregnant woman and children.
- Take fresh cranberries and make juice out of them
- Or you could just buy a bottle of cranberry juice which is plain and has no added flavours or colours.
- Easy way of treating the ulcer with this juice is to hold the juice for a while over the ulcer. At first, you will experience a bit burning sensation but later on, you’ll feel really great.
- Consuming cranberry juice will reduce the redness within the mouth and eliminate the inflammation effect.
22. Cold And Chilled Water Tricks:
Gargling with warm and chilled water will definitely reduce the ulcer. Gargling with medium heated water can reduce the redness and remove the inflammation as well. This is one the best ways to treat the mouth ulcer and keep the mouth clean as well. Cold and chilled water is one of the best natural remedies for mouth ulcer. This remedy is very safe and effective way to treat mouth ulcers in pregnant woman and chidren.
- Take a glass of warm water
- Take a glass of cold or chilled water
Gargle with cold or chilled water and warm water alternatively to get rid of mouth ulcers quickly!
23. Raw Tomatoes:
Raw tomatoes can also reduce mouth ulcer. They are obviously more beneficial than the cooked form of tomato. You can get rid of mouth ulcers by using raw tomatoes. Raw tomatoes are not recommended for pregnant and children woman unless thoroughly washed. They may contain toxins that are harmful for their health.
- Take a raw ripened tomato, wash it thoroughly and cut it into half.
- Also, you can just grind the tomato to extract juice
- An effective way of using raw tomato is to gargle the mouth with tomato juice
- or You can just keep a small piece of tomato in your mouth touching the ulcer .
24. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar is another excellent home remedy for mouth ulcers. The acid present in ACV kills any bacteria that cause the mouth sores. It is safe to use apple cider vinegar during pregnancy and for a child in limited quantities. There is no much evidence of the ingredient being harmful but it is still recommended to consume in moderate quantities.
Take teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and at it to a cup of water
Use the solutions as a mouth wash. This will help keep the mouth clean.
25. Adequate Water:
Adequate water is the best remedy for any and most of the ailments. It flushes out all the toxins in the body and is best home remedy for mouth ulcers. Water causes no harm whatsoever in anyone and has several benefits. You can add few drops of mint oil for extra freshness. It is easiy available and most accessible in any kitchen. It is completely safe and in fact recommended for pregnant woman and children to consume as much water as possible. It is one of the best natural remedies to cure mouth ulcers.
Home remedies serve as the best and first aids for any ailment. It is the first and most important step to treat any disease. Most of the ailments can be cured with just natural remedies at home. They are all easily accessible and completely natural. Precautions should be taken by pregnant woman and children as recommended and apart from that these remedies do not cause any harm.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q1. Is mouth ulcer caused due to nutritional deficiency?
1. Mouth ulcers can also be caused to nutritional deficiency.
2. Deficiency of Vitamin B12, Zinc, folic acid, iron can cause mouth ulcers.
3. An impaired immune system is also an underlying cause of mouth ulcers.
Q2. What is the difference between mouth ulcer and mouth cancer?
Ans: There is a lot of difference between the two.
- Mouth ulcers are painful while cancer is not
- Ulcer looks like a red boil with white patch, cancer looks like a white patch.
- Ulcers are soft while cancer would be hard and rough to touch.
Q3. What are basic oral hygiene techniques to avoid mouth ulcers?
Ans. A good oral health can avoid mouth ulcers.
- Brush regularly twice a day
- Rinse using a gentle mouth wash or make one at home
- Get a dental check regularly
- Keeps teeth and gums healthy
- Avoid foods that could cause any injury.