Messy hairstyles are the newfound love for all the millennials out there. From our favourite celebrities and models to any fashion town experts, messy hairstyles have been the most tried outlooks, and why not! They are elegant, class apart, and give an edgy contemporary feeling so seamlessly.
We, too, love messy hairstyles and the numerous versatile ways one can always experiment with them without getting bored. Here are a few of the most trending ones we have compiled; check them out, and you will love them too!
30 Best Messy Hair Looks for Women:
Following are the 30 quick and best messy hairstyles with images that make you look great that are very suitable for all types of face shapes.
1. Messy Shag Haircut:
If you are into messy hairstyles and haircuts for girls, you will love this cute and charming shag cut. This messy hairstyle is apt for girls and women with medium hair length, with wavy or curly hair texture. It is perfect to deliver an effortless yet edgy and chic appearance instantly. Women in any age group can try this out.
2. Cute Messy Braid Hairstyles for Long Hair:
How about this charming messy hairstyle for women? While braids may be well popular and graceful look across the globe, you can try out the messy braid with long hair for a special exquisite and sophisticated appearance. This hairstyle is a perfect choice for females in their teenage age or younger women.
3. Messy Ponytail:
You can also try out a messy hairstyle for women with ponytails. Here, we have this messy double ponytail with a unique and youthful appearance. You can instantly replicate a similar hairstyle if you have medium to short hair length. Try this out on your casual outings and everyday looks to come out with a sassy and edgy appearance.
4. Vintage Messy Haircut:
You will love this perfect feminine hairstyle if you have an eye for old and vintage classic hairstyles and haircuts. It is among our top favourites in messy haircuts. The beautiful haircut is all about flaunting the best of elegant, feminine features. It is apt for women across age groups and those with wavy or curly hair textures.
5. Messy Hairstyles with Bun:
We love this half-bun messy hairstyle for women. This quick and easy look can be done in a jiffy yet looks plush, posh and charming. The style is perfect for women with medium to long hair lengths and any hair texture. Try this look for parties, dinners, outings, or gatherings to step up your fashion game and glam quotient effortlessly.
6. Simple Short Messy Haircut:
The short messy hairstyle for a girl is actually a very intricate hairstyle that separates it from the rest of the short black hairstyles. The messy fringe gives a girl the feeling of formality and the presence of the chic factor allowing you to carry this hairstyle to almost any event without dire consequences. It is among the best messy celebrity messy hairstyles, and most celebrities try this style.
- Perfect Occasion: Try this style for night parties.
- Best Season to Try: Summer is the best season to try this out.
- Matching Dress: Women can wear a knee-length dress with this.
- Ideal Age Group: This style is best suited for women in their 30s.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: Try this style on oval and diamond face shapes and silky straight hair.
7. Side Thick Braid:
This style is a great messy bun hairstyle to go with if you have thick and voluminous hair. The thick side braid can be accessorized with a great variety of messy curls in the front of your face to make the hairstyle look even more interesting. The thick braid on the side can pull off even the most serious of events successfully.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in their late 20s can try this out.
- Best Season to Try: This messy hairstyle is suitable for summer.
- Matching Dress: Try this messy style with ethnic dresses and sarees.
- Perfect Occasion: This style is good for family gatherings and festivities.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: Any hair type and face shape can suit this style well.
8. The Great Mane:
A great mane is the perfect messy hairstyle for medium hair to go. The great mane will surely bring out the sophisticated looks in an individual you want to pull off. Match it with a great dress or corporate attire to be the centre of attention at the event you wish to visit.
- Perfect Occasion: This style is good for night parties.
- Matching Dress: Wear a nice fancy western dress with style.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in their 20s and 30s can try this one out.
- Best Season to Try: Winter and monsoon are good options with this style.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: If you have straight hair and an oval face shape, then you are good to go here.
9. Messy Long:
The messy curly hairstyles for medium and long hair let your hair down look, which is perfect for any party. The long messy look requires medium to extremely long hair that is either naturally curly or wavy. If you do not have naturally curly hair, then making it curly is very easy with curling irons.
- Best Season to Try: Winter is a good choice to try this.
- Matching Dress: Women can wear a full-length dress with this one.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in their late 20s can totally rock the look.
- Perfect Occasion: This style perfectly suits night parties and gatherings.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: Curly hair and any face shape can suit this look.
10. Messy Curls:
These messy layered hairstyles are among the most trending looks and our top favourites. These are made with messy curls and can be easily maintained if you have medium or long hair. This style complements well with several women, and further hair can also be coloured to make it appear trendier and to make a fashion statement. Messy curls look great if you plan a day out with your friends and need a footloose hairstyle.
- Best Season to Try: Wear this style in winter.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in their 20s can wear the look.
- Matching Dress: This style is best with western tops and pants.
- Perfect Occasion: Try this style for date nights or gatherings with friends.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: Curly hair and oval or diamond face shape are good here.
11. Front Falling Messy:
This is a messy style that can complement several looks. And this is sophisticated and makes you look quite elegant and classy. These are among the best messy blonde haircuts if you want to opt for looking bold and stylish. The front falling messy look requires just a small amount of curls at the bottom to achieve the right style for you.
- Best Season to Try: Summer is the best option here.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in their 30s can rock the look.
- Perfect Occasion: This style suits office events and gatherings.
- Matching Dress: Wear this with the western dress or with a blazer and skirt.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: Straight hair with any face shape can try this one out.
12. Short Messy Hair:
This hairstyle is one of the best boyish looks in the business sector women. The short messy hairstyles for women look with a very flexible hairstyle that looks absolutely great when matched with a variety of both dresses and party attire. The short messy hairstyle requires absolutely no maintenance, so you have the time to focus on other more necessary issues.
- Matching Dress: Try it out with any casual outfit.
- Best Season to Try: Summer is the best option to try this look.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in their 20s can suit the look better.
- Perfect Occasion: This style suits regular casual outings with friends.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: Try it with the round, square or oval face shape and any short hair type.
13. Messy Goth Look:
This messy pin-up hairstyle or the goth or emo look is again in trend and is here for you to check out. This is quite easy to maintain and is very quirky and funky. And this matches several personalities. Women who want to try out something new or bold should make this statement look. It is trendy and great with a good variety of colours, which goes well when matched with this funky hairstyle effectively.
- Best Season to Try: Any season can go good here.
- Matching Dress: Work on casual outfits with this style only.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in their 20s or 30s can try the style.
- Perfect Occasion: Try this look with casual parties and dance nights.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: Women with straight hair and oval face shape can work on the look.
14. Messy Half-up Bun Hairstyle:
People with long hair usually do not need to make much effort to get a beautiful look, and sometimes try out a messy look hairstyle by just pulling the top layer of your hair into a half bun and leaving the rest in an open, messy way. Messy buns work with a variety of hair types and will give you a simple yet chic look.
- Best Season to Try: Any season is good to go with this style.
- Perfect Occasion: This style is good for a regular college look.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in their late 20s can try this lookout.
- Matching Dress: Wear it with casual ethnic kurtas or with jeans and tops.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: Oval-shaped face and wavy or straight hair can work well here.
15. Voluminous Low Pony:
Sometimes you don’t feel like doing anything with your hair. You can style your hair into a voluminous low ponytail with a slight twist on such days. While wrapping elastic around the hair, stop your hair from going all the way for the third time around rather pull a strand of hair and wrap it around the base to form a pony. This will form a low ponytail with a disorganized yet chic look. This type of easy messy updo hairstyle is best on straight, silky hair.
- Matching Dress: Try this style with a knee-length dress.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in their late 20s can try this style.
- Best Season to Try: Summer is a good option to try this look.
- Perfect Occasion: Try this style for casual date nights and events.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: If you have straight hair and any face shape, try this look.
16. Messy Bouffant Bun:
This messy bun is for only long hair women. This style is best for several occasions and is quite versatile to suit several women. Girls and women love this messy bun hairstyle for long hair as this can be styled and further customized with hair accessories too. Such buns are the right choice during hot summer days. Just pull your hair up and form a bouffant bun giving a classy messy look.
- Matching Dress: Try this with any outfit you like best.
- Ideal Age Group: Women of age before 35 can try this style.
- Best Season to Try: Summer is a good choice to carry this style.
- Perfect Occasion: Try this style with casual outings in the mornings.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: Oval face and any hair type can try this one.
17. Messy Braids:
This messy braid hairstyle is a new chic look and is among our top favourites. These are stylish, trendy and comfortable. If you like braids and especially fish braids, then this messy style is for you. This style can be effortlessly stylish and comfortable too. Make a tight braid and do not touch it the whole day even if it is messy. This messy look hairstyle is best for festival days.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in their 20s can try the look.
- Best Season to Try: Any season is well suited to the style.
- Perfect Occasion: Try this for festivities and celebrations.
- Matching Dress: Wear them with an ethnic dress or long dresses.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: If you have medium to long hair and oval, round or diamond face shape, you will try this style out.
Read: How To Do A French Twist
18. Messy Side Ponytail:
This is a hairstyle for messy wavy hair. It is a messy side ponytail hairstyle which is well suited for several young women. This is quite comfortable and can easily and effortlessly carry in style. And this is fashionable and makes you look like vintage chic. Just tie your messed up hair on one side to get this look. Try this today, and it is undoubtedly going to suit you.
- Perfect Occasion: Try this style for casual movie outings.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in their early 20s can try this look.
- Best Season to Try: Any season is good to go with this hairstyle.
- Matching Dress: Wear casual jeans and tops with this messy hairstyle.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: Any medium hair and oval face shape can work on this style.
19. Two Minute Elegant Buns:
Who does not love to wear buns as Angelina Jolie did? This messy bun for short hair is all that we need to feel elegant. These take very less time to create and are also comfortable at the same time. This look makes us feel special and helps us create a good first impression. It just takes a couple of minutes to make this style, and do not miss it out.
- Ideal Age Group: If you are in your 30s, this is for you.
- Perfect Occasion: Try this for night parties and events.
- Best Season to Try: Summer is the best option for this style.
- Matching Dress: Women can wear a knee-length dress with style.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: This classy look is suited for any face shape and hair type.
20. Sexy Messy Ponytail:
This unorganized ponytail will help you forget the pretty ones. Just crisscross your hair giving it a completely effortless look. You don’t need a rubber band or clips to tie this ponytail hairstyle instead your hair will do it all. Just make a disordered ponytail and tie it with two ends of your hair. This is one of the perfect messy look hairstyles for long hair. A look is so alluring yet straightforward also.
- Ideal Age Group: Those in their 20s can best suit this look.
- Best Season to Try: Women can try this look in any season.
- Matching Dress: Try this style with casual outfits or dresses.
- Perfect Occasion: This style is great for date nights or movie outings.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: If you have straight or wavy hair, then you are good to go with the oval or diamond face shape.
21. Messy Headband Look:
This updo is one of the easiest high messy bun hairstyles look hairstyle for short hair. Sometimes even a chaotic look gives a classy appearance. Just add a headband to your messy look. Don’t forget to loosen hair wisps on either side. This messy hairstyle looks best during music festivals and hot summer days.
- Best Season to Try: Try this style in summer.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in their late 20s can try this style.
- Perfect Occasion: This suits casual gatherings and outings with a friend.
- Matching Dress: This style suits all dresses and outfits, be it casual or traditional.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: Opt for this look if you have a round, square or oval-shaped face and any hair type.
22. Unkempt Waves:
Your hair is not required to be perfect always and sometimes looks best when undone. This type of messy style looks best in the case of medium length hair. Curl your hair with large curling wands and then give it a messy look as needed. Avoid using your comb instead, use your hands to get the perfect messy medium hairstyle look.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in their 30s can suit it better.
- Best Season to Try: Wear this style in winter and monsoon.
- Matching Dress: Try this with a knee-length dress or formal outfit.
- Perfect Occasion: This messy bob hairstyle with a bit of long hair is best for office parties
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: Those with curly or wavy hair and an oval-shaped face try this one out.
23. Perfect Elevated Ponytail:
Sometimes you need to forget about your look and go for a simple and quick hairstyle. On such days you can just tie your hair high into a tight, cluttered ponytail. This will give you a clean look from the front and will be done in a few minutes. A high ponytail gives messy waves at the back, which looks excellent on days of a hurry. This type of messy hairstyle is perfectly suitable for weddings too.
- Best Season to Try: Try this hairstyle in summer.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in their 30s can suit this better.
- Matching Dress: Western outfits are suitable for this style.
- Perfect Occasion: This look best for night parties or dinner events.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: Women with oval or heart-shaped faces and wavy hair can try this out.
24. Messy Showstopper Look:
This is a messy bun style with a showstopper outlook. And this style is quite fashionable. This is for those women in the fashion field who love to flaunt their hair. This look adds elegance, attitude and gets all attention to you. Often, showstoppers go for messy updos because it helps them catch the crowd’s attention and look captivating among all present.
- Best Season to Try: Wear it during any season.
- Ideal Age Group: This is best for women in their 20s.
- Perfect Occasion: Try this style with fashion events and shows.
- Matching Dress: Women should match this look with bold western wear.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: Try this with an oval and diamond-shaped face and medium hair.
25. Messy Dancing Curls:
Curls can be both magical and untidy. Dancing curls can make one feel happy and at the same time, managing these curls is not an easy task. If you have curly hair, then this is the best messy look that you can get. Pin your hair at the back, letting some of the curls dangle on either side of the face and pair this look with a snazzy pantsuit or a beautiful white dress.
- Matching Dress: Wear it with any outfit you choose.
- Best Season to Try: Summer is best suited for this style.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in their early 20s should try the look.
- Perfect Occasion: This short layered messy hairstyle is good with regular college times.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: If you have an oval or round-shaped face with any hair type, try this out.
26. Perfect Messy Updo for Music Festivals:
Summer is a season when no matter how beautiful and long your hair is, and it can make it impossible to manage. During these days, tie your hair, form a smart bun in the middle of your hair, and use a tiara made of flowers to accessorize it. Leave a few strands open which will flow smoothly on your face. This is one of the perfect easy messy hairstyles for summer with medium or long hair.
- Best Season to Try: Summer is a good option to try this style.
- Perfect Occasion: Try this style with night outings and gatherings.
- Matching Dress: Wear this with skirts, shorts or pants with casual tops.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in their 20s can only try this look to look good.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: Those with oval and diamond-shaped face with long or medium hair can try this.
27. Open Messy Hairstyle:
This is among the widespread and well known messy open hairstyles. And this is tried by most of us and is forever there in our mind to do when we run out of time. It never goes out of fashion and can be easily maintained. This is further effortlessly stylish, and we can do it in just a few minutes. One does not have to make any extra effort, and all those ladies who have terribly busy schedules, just use your hands to detangle your hair and give a messy look.
- Best Season to Try: Any season is good to go here.
- Matching Dress: Wear any formal outfit with this style.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in their 30s can try this one out.
- Perfect Occasion: This style best suits everyday office purpose.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: If you have wavy or curly hair and any face shape try this one out.
28. Messy Updo:
Messy updo hairstyle is a fast and effortless style and at the same time being versatile it works for special occasions too. This look suits young ladies who always want to have a flawless chic type look at any time of the day. Make a small bun with your hair but make sure you do not tie the whole hair, but keep the lower part of it loose and hanging below the bun to give a classy look.
- Perfect Occasion: Try this for a regular office look again.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in their late 20s can try this look.
- Best Season to Try: Summer is a good season to try this one.
- Matching Dress: One can wear any outfit of their choice with this versatile style.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: Those with oval, diamond and round-shaped face can try with any hair type.
29. Messy Side Braid with a Bun:
This type of messy braid bun hairstyle is among the most popular and is also stylish to look at. And this is not difficult to do and can be easily achieved in no time. This looks fabulous with a braid coming in from the side. Just plait the hair’s front and form a side bun with the side braids and the rest of the hair. This messy look hairstyle gives a perfect look.
- Ideal Age Group: Women in their 20s can try this style.
- Matching Dress: Wear a knee-length dress with the look.
- Best Season to Try: Summer is a good time to try this look.
- Perfect Occasion: This style suits regular college days or for special events.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: Those with round or oval-shaped faces and any hair can try this style.
30. Triple Buns with a Twist:
The three bun twist updo is one of the famous messy hairstyles for girls, giving a beautiful look. The look often gives an intricate impression, but the beauty lies in the fact that it does not stretch for perfection. In this cute messy hairstyle, some hair remains out of place while some form knots, but still, the result is amazing. These twisted buns are meant to be casual though you can make them neater for formal events.
- Ideal Age Group: Try this with women in their 20s.
- Matching Dress: Try this with a full or knee-length dress.
- Best Season to Try: Summer is the best option for this look.
- Perfect Occasion: Wear this for parties to create an impression.
- Suitable Face and Hair Type: This can be done as a messy bangs style with any medium to long hair with any round or oval, or diamond-shaped face.
- Messy styles suit all, just tease the hair as much as you want to create the level of messiness as per your liking.
- Do not over comb in messy styles.
- Do not over shampoo as it may make hair frizzy. Only do it not more than thrice a week.
- Buns can be customized as per your wish in messy styles. Apply good hair accessories to escalate the look further.
Hope you enjoyed reading our extensive article on different messy hairstyles look. These are new and trending and can suit all according to their preferences, face shapes and occasions. Try them out to get the desired look, and share your comments and thoughts with us for better feedback.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers:
Q1. Do Messy Styles Suit Wedding Occasions?
Ans: Yes, wedding celebrations can be easily styled with messy hairstyles. Several bun and braid styles suit festivities during the wedding to both bride and her friends.
Q2. Can Christian Wedding Ceremony Bride Wear Messy Styles For The Big Day?
Ans: Messy styles are a new trend. These new messy hairstyles suit absolutely all occasions and wedding is not a limitation. Messy buns are best suited for wedding ceremony days for the bride and bridesmaid.
Q3. Do Messy Styles Require Styling Tools To Do The Desired Style?
Ans: Generally, messy styles do not require any styling tools. In case you want curly or wavy hair, you may want to style them with tools if your hair texture does not match. Then make sure to use hair spray to let the style stay on a bit with you for a longer time.
Q4. How To Maintain Messy Styles For A Longer Time?
Ans: Messy styles generally require low maintenance and time. They stay in place for a long time in case you style them well. After teasing hair as required and creating the look, pin them up well to keep the style stable.
Q5. Is Messy Style Suitable For Women Over 50?
Ans: Messy styles are well suited for women of all ages. Try them out to know what best suits you well. Women over 50 can try messy buns or leave over hair to create a messy look style for different functions.