Pregnancy is a phase of life in a woman wherein she experiences different moods and cravings because of hormonal imbalances in the body. The cravings will be so weird that she will want to eat pickles or even cornflakes or street food. In this article, we will discuss corn flakes during pregnancy, whether they are safe or not, because of the sugary content in them and the risk of congenital disabilities.
It’s not only corn flakes; any food that is overeaten during pregnancy is very harmful and will cause congenital disabilities to the baby. Anything which is consumed in limited quantities is good. So is the case of corn flakes. Corn flakes are absolutely safe to consume during pregnancy, provided the pregnant lady has no gestational diabetes (1).
What Are Corn Flakes?
Corn flakes are a cereal which is usually consumed for breakfast. These are made by toasting flakes of corn or maize. Corn flakes are considered as one of the healthiest breakfasts because it aids in weight reduction by suppressing the appetite. During its inception, corn flakes were produced without any sugar in them, and later with the increase in consumers’ different flavoured corn flakes started to emerge in the market like the sugary cornflakes, chocolate cornflakes, honey corn flakes, etc. Corn flakes are generally consumed with milk and fruits in them.
Nutritional Values of Corn Flakes During Pregnancy:
Corn flakes, which are very light, have some fantastic nutritional benefits in them. Corn flakes are fat-free and less in bad cholesterol content (LDL) and good in HDL, the good cholesterol. These flakes are also rich in essential minerals and vitamins that are required for a pregnant woman. One cup (25gm) of corn flakes contains 95mg of calories, 21.4 mg of carbohydrates, and 1.7mg of protein in them.
See More: are cloves safe during pregnancy
Why Corn Flakes During Pregnancy?
Pregnant women often feel dizzy and restless because of kicking hormones. These cereals are rich in carbohydrates, which can offer energy, thus making the pregnant lady feel fresh throughout the day. Also, these cereals are enriched in iron, thiamine, niacin, and riboflavin which makes a wholesome meal. Eating cornflakes with milk and fruits is quite beneficial for the pregnant mother and the baby inside.
Health Benefits Of Corn Flakes During Pregnancy:
Corn flakes are a fibre-rich food a typical meal for breakfast in almost many households who are looking for weight loss or to maintain cholesterol levels etc. Here we will look for more benefits of corn flakes during pregnancy.
- Corn flakes are rich in fibre content, and hence this dietary fibre maintains blood pressure and maintains constipation. The food for the unborn baby is reached through the bloodstream. If the mother has high blood pressure, less amount of blood reaches the baby, which may lead to malnutrition.
- The weight increase during pregnancy is the chief complaint being heard by many mothers. This weight even increases after delivery. Corn flakes are said to maintain the weight of the pregnant lady during pregnancy.
- Consumption of corn flakes for breakfast fills your stomach, which helps in satiating hunger.
- Corn flakes, when consumed during pregnancy, help in reducing preeclampsia. This condition is aggravated by high blood pressure and could be harmful to the development of the unborn baby.
- Corn flakes have a good content of folic acid in them, which doctors say is beneficial for women who are pregnant. This folic acid helps in reducing the risk of birth defects.
Side Effects of Corn flakes During Pregnancy:
Although corn flakes have benefits during pregnancy, when consumed excessively, it comes with side effects.
- Corn flakes are not homemade; in fact, it is impossible to make at home. They are commercially available. Commercially available flakes have a high content of sugars and fat which are unhealthy for the mother-to-be and the unborn baby during pregnancy.
- Excess consumption of corn flakes during pregnancy leads to intestinal gas troubles and abdominal pain, which feels like the stomach is bloated, causing discomfort.
- The cornflake grains are acidic in nature. Hence when consumed excessively, the acid content in the body increases, causing acidic an acidic state in tissues and blood.
- Commercially available flakes have a high glycemic index in them if consumed excessively by pregnant women. It may lead to gestational diabetes, which in turn harms the development of the unborn baby.
See More: chinese food while pregnant
Tips To Remember for Eating Corn Flakes While Pregnancy:
During pregnancy, the mother will have weird cravings, for spicy foods or pizza or even eat corn flakes at odd times. Moreover, the pregnant lady cannot avoid her cravings, and straight away follows what her mind wants to do it. So, there are some tips to remember for pregnant women concerning corn flakes.
- It is good to have any food in moderation. Corn flakes also stand in the same queue. If you have the habit of starting your day with corn flakes before you were pregnant, always have them in moderation during pregnancy.
- Do not forget to check for the expiration date. Avoid corn flakes that are expired and also which are nearer to the expiration date.
- Do not stock up corn flakes in the house. Always visit a store and buy fresh corn flakes.
- The best way to eat corn flakes is with warm milk. Add some fruits and honey to the mixture for an altered taste.
- Do not hesitate to consult your nutritionist regarding the corn flakes. Always take the advice of your doctor/ nutritionist before changing your diet.
- Finally, it is better to have corn flakes only for breakfast.
Best Corn Flakes Flavors for Pregnant Ladies:
There are different flavours of corn flakes available in the market, and you would be confused about which ones to choose during pregnancy. Try out the following ones:
- Chocolate flavoured corn flakes
- Muesli-flavoured flakes.
- Protein and fibre Cranberry-flavoured flakes must be tried.
- Multigrain oats and honey-flavoured corn flakes are also beneficial.
- Ragi chocos flavoured flakes.
Intake of corn flakes does no harm during pregnancy if consumed in moderate quantities. Moreover, it is highly beneficial in terms of killing hunger, maintaining blood pressure and sugar levels, etc. But, it is highly recommended to consult your doctor before making any diet changes during pregnancy. Also, feel free to leave a message for us on how to make corn flakes tastier than ever before if you have tried a different one.
Q1. Why do you crave corn flakes during pregnancy?
Ans: Cravings for cereals with high sugar and fat content are quite common. So, it comes as no surprise that when you are pregnant and experiencing high estrogen levels, the cravings for corn flakes are heightened.
Q2. Does eating corn flakes in higher amounts by a pregnant lady linked with Spina Bifida in newborn babies?
Ans: Study says that a pregnant woman who eats sugary foods such as corn flakes in higher quantities twofold the risk of neural tube defects in unborn babies. These sugary foods increase the insulin level in the mother’s body, which is linked with congenital disabilities. Any foods, when consumed in excess during pregnancy, can lead to problems. Hence it is recommended to eat in lesser quantities.
Q3. Are there any healthy alternatives for cornflakes during pregnancy?
Ans: There are several fortified portions of cereal and wheat flakes and rice flakes that can be consumed during pregnancy. These are quite similar to cornflakes but have less sugar content in them.
Disclaimer: Since this is a medical article related to pregnancy, the information provided above is only for educational purposes and should not be considered a piece of medical advice. Consult your gynaecologist before consuming corn flakes during pregnancy.