Rambutan is the fruit which is produced by the rambutan tree. That is native to the Malay-Indonesian region. And, also other regions of tropical Southeast Asia. Commonly grown in countries like Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, and the Philippines. Rambutan has spread from there to various parts of Asia, Africa, Oceania and Central America. Thanks to its various health benefits. Especially of consuming Rambutan during pregnancy.
The fruit that’s rich in nutrients is from the family of Lychee fruit. And looks a lot like a beautiful flower in its bloom. Let’s find out more about this fruit and its consumption-related tips and tricks.
Eating Rambutan During Pregnancy, Safe or Not?
Yes, eating Rambutan during Pregnancy is completely safe. As it does not contain any toxic substances. The fruit provides a lot of energy. That helps in situations a woman may feel lethargic or tired. The situation of swollen feet can also be taken care of with the help of this fruit. Also considered an elixir.
See More: Prune Juice in Pregnancy
Nutritional Values of Rambutan During Pregnancy:
Rambutan is a rich source of minerals such as Iron and Vitamins such as vitamins E and C. As well as a very low number of calories that is 82 per 100 grams. The fruit has no cholesterol or saturated fats. The lychee-like fruit is rich in dietary fibre and contains 3% of the same antioxidants. The fruit also contains 1% magnesium and 1% Potassium.
Benefits of Rambutan During Pregnancy:
- Prevents Nausea and Vomiting: Problems like nausea, vomiting and dizziness which pregnant women often experience. Can be overcome by consuming rambutan fruit. Because of its tastes unique and refreshing sweet-sour taste.
- Building Immunity: Eating Rambutan during pregnancy also helps expecting mothers fight common diseases. Like cold, flu, headache and cough. Apart from this, rambutan also helps in smooth digestion and helps reduces constipation and diarrhoea.
- Improved Digestion: Regular consumption of rambutan ensures that we have a healthy digestive system. And also helps pregnant women would avoid problems like difficulty in bowel movements, diarrhoea, and constipation.
- Maintains Blood Pressure and Cholesterol: The rambutan fruit helps control blood pressure and cholesterol. Which is a common problem that expecting mothers face. It also helps reduce the swelling that occurs in the feet and hands. Due to less smooth blood circulation in the body.
- It is a Very Good Source of Iron: Rambutan fruit is also a very good source of iron. Which helps fight against dizziness and fatigue During pregnancy. And also keeps your haemoglobin levels up. So, whenever you feel tired, all you have to do is to relish a rambutan.
- It is Rich in Vitamin E: Though not all, some expecting mothers complain of itchy skin during pregnancy. As rambutan is rich in Vitamin E. It helps prevent this itching and offers comfort. Vitamin E also helps prevent acne, premature ageing, and skin dullness which occur during pregnancy.
- Detoxification: The deposition of toxins in our body is one of the main causes of illness. Different kinds of toxins harm our bodies differently and cause a lot of damage. Rambutan can help in detoxifying the body. And, removing the harmful toxins from it. It also eliminates heavy metals from our bodies.
See More: Jackfruit During Pregnancy
Rambutan Side Effects During Pregnancy:
We have all heard this from someone or the other in life. Anything excessive can be harmful to health. Similarly, when consumed in quantities more than suggested, this elixir can cause harmful impacts. such as,
- The Rise in Blood Sugar Levels: The consumption of ripe Rambutan in pregnancy. Can be dangerous for pregnant women in its ripe state. It becomes extremely sweet, with a very high sugar content.
- Rise in Cholesterol: According to experts the high sugar content in Rambutan turns into alcohol. Which in turn raises the cholesterol level in the pregnant lady’s body. If she continues consuming the fruit in huge quantities.
Things To Keep In Mind While Buying a Rambutan Fruit:
Always remember to buy a Rambutan fruit that is bright red in colour. A rambutan fruit with a dull or brownish colour should be avoided. The fruit should only be ripe and not overripe. As that is suggested for pregnant women. The fruit shouldn’t be mushy from the inside. Instead of the firm and adequately juicy.
So, to sum up, this fruit has many advantages for pregnant women. And, you can safely enjoy eating rambutans during pregnancy without worrying. However, consult your doctor to ensure that you aren’t allergic to it. Before consuming this fruit avoid any complications during the period of pregnancy.
See More: Grapes While Pregnant
Q1. When Should you Avoid Rambutan Fruit During Pregnancy?
Ans: Avoid Rambutan fruit during the last few months of pregnancy. As it is rich in dietary fibre, that can cause an issue with bowel movements. If consumed during the end of the period of pregnancy.
Q2. Is it Safe to Eat Rambutan During Breastfeeding?
Ans: Yes, it is safe to eat Rambutan during pregnancy. As the fruit has no toxic substances that can cause any harm to the baby’s body.
Q3. Should I Include Rambutan Fruit in the Baby’s Diet?
Ans: Rambutan fruit can be included in a baby’s diet. But only after the age of 2 years or after the doctors and professionals suggest feeding the baby. Always take advice from experts.