Every woman, when pregnant, wishes for only one thing that she should have a healthy and safe delivery. This depends on the diet that she follows during pregnancy. During this time, the pregnant lady also experiences different cravings, but she should be cautious in choosing what to eat and drink. Raspberry leaf tea is one such elixir drink that can be consumed by pregnant women, which can be beneficial in the later stages of pregnancy. Not only during pregnancy, but also it is beneficial for women to ease menstrual cramps, and hence it is considered as women’s best friend.
What Is Raspberry Leaf Tea?
Raspberry leaf tea is one of the most beneficial herbal tea that is extracted from the leaves of the red raspberry plant. This plant is commonly found in Europe and some parts of Asia. For centuries these leaves were used to treat various health ailments and also used to induce labor in pregnant women. Hence this tea is considered one of the best herbal teas to drink.
Is it Safe to Drink Raspberry Leaf Tea During Pregnancy:
After quality research done by the experts, they said that drinking raspberry leaf tea during pregnancy is perfectly safe as long as you drink it in limited amounts. Some of them say that drinking this tea during the first trimester may cause some problems in bowel movements, but this tea is very beneficial during the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. Overall, it can be said that drinking Raspberry leaf tea is absolutely safe.
See More: lipton tea during pregnancy
When to Start Drinking Raspberry Leaf During Pregnancy:
Red Raspberry leaf tea is recommended to consume during the second and third trimesters of the gestational period. When you start drinking during the second trimester, this tea helps in strengthening the uterus and aids in stimulating the contractions. Consuming this tea during the final stages of the gestational period can induce labor and aid in safe delivery. Some women, who have the habit of drinking this tea before pregnancy, consumes even during the first trimester to ease nausea and vomiting. But, it is recommended to avoid during the first trimester.
Health Benefits Of Raspberry Tea During Pregnancy:
In the olden days, pregnant women consumed different types of herbal teas for a natural and healthy delivery. Red Raspberry tea is one of the most consumed teas by women during pregnancy. Some of the benefits are:
- Studies showed that drinking this tea can shorten labor. Raspberry tea contains fragrance compound that helps in toning and tightening the muscles in the pelvic area, and also the walls of the uterus. This helps in a smooth delivery.
- Some studies proved that drinking this tea reduces the need for interventions during childbirth. Also, the complications of childbirth are reduced.
- Besides these, drinking raspberry leaf tea can maintain glow in your face during the pregnancy. It is said that drinking this tea can avoid the formation of stretch marks on the belly during and after the delivery.
- Some studies showed that the nutrients present in the red raspberry leaf tea aids for breastfeeding and nursing. The mother will have a good flow of milk after delivery. But, there is no proven evidence for this benefit.
Risks of Raspberry Leaf Tea During Pregnancy:
Besides having some excellent benefits, drinking raspberry leaf tea also has its side effects.
1. Diuretic effect:
Women during pregnancy faces with the problem of running to the bathroom very frequently, drinking this tea may also increase your visits to the toilet.
2. Affects bowel movements:
The raspberry tea has laxative properties in it that may cause loosening of stool in certain women during pregnancy.
3. Chances of miscarriage in the first trimester:
Drinking raspberry tea can trigger uterus contractions if consumed in large quantities. Hence there is a chance of miscarriage if consumed during the first trimester.
See More: chamomile tea during pregnancy
Raspberry Tea DIY Recipe:
Here is a simple recipe you can repeat in the comfort of your home.
- Dried Raspberry tea leaves
- A glass of water
- One spoonful lemon juice (if required)
- One spoonful sugar (if required)
- Collect the freshly dried raspberry leaves from the garden where you harvest or pick from a store.
- Take 8 ounces of water and boil them.
- Drop the raspberry leaves slowly by mixing with the boiled.
- Let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes till the leaves get absorbed into the water.
- Strain the mixture, and enjoy the drink.
- In the beginning, this drink does not seem so tasty. Some people even experience nausea or vomitings after drinking this drink.
- To make it tastier, add lemon juice or sugar to the mixture. If you desire to drink with lemon juice, add the juice after you strain it. If you wish to drink with sugar, add sugar in the boiling water itself.
- Take this serving once in the morning and the evening.
Raspberry leaf tea should not be consumed during early pregnancy because there is a high chance of miscarriage during the first trimester. If you have a planned cesarian, it is better to stop drinking this tea. Also, drinking this tea is not recommended if you are going to have a twin delivery.
The bottom line regarding this elixir drink would be that it is perfectly safe to drink raspberry tea during the second and third trimesters of the pregnancy. As far as possible, avoid drinking this tea during early pregnancy. Apart from this, red raspberry tea boosts the immunity of both men and women, and hence this can be considered to drink during pregnancy. But, consume this tea only after consulting your doctor.
See More: can i drink oolong tea while pregnant
Frequently Asked Questions And Answers:
Q1. How much raspberry leaf tea you can take during pregnancy?
Ans: Anything which is taken in excess harms your body. During pregnancy, you should be much more careful about the quantity of foods you eat. Red raspberry tea should also be consumed in limited amounts during pregnancy. The study showed that taking 2.4 mg of red raspberry in the form of a tablet is quite safe. In terms of tea, this should not exceed 1-3 cups per day. Ideally, one cup in the morning and one in the evening is advisable.
Q2. Does raspberry leaf tea help in labor induce?
Ans: Some studies say that drinking raspberry leaf tea help in inducing the labor, but the actual research isn’t straight forward. Even today, most of the pregnant women drink this tea for inducing the labor.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are just suggestions, and the website is no way responsible for the side effects it may cause. It is better to consult a doctor before you consume anything, especially when you are pregnant.