It is very important that you choose your food intake wisely as it impacts both you and your unborn child’s health. What are the perks and dangers of having sesame seeds during pregnancy? In India, consuming white sesame seeds is considered dangerous as it increases the body heat and upsets the hormonal balance of the body.
Some people also believe that it leads to premature labor and miscarriages. However, there is no scientific research to back this up. On the contrary, sesame seeds are a storehouse of several vital nutrients which are extremely beneficial during pregnancy. Still, confused? Read on to find out more about ‘ellu’ in pregnancy.
See More: is flaxseed safe during pregnancy
Is Eating Sesame Seeds Safe During Pregnancy:
In medieval times, consuming sesame seeds were believed to be the cause of miscarriages mostly as they increase body heat and increase uterine contractions. However, studies have proved that it is only a myth and contrary to popular belief, intake of sesame seeds does not cause harm to pregnancy but instead paves way for a healthy delivery free of complications.
Nutritional Value Of 10 Gms Of Sesame Seeds:
Sesame seeds are enriched with various essential nutrients. Every 10 gms of seeds contains approximately the following quantities of each ingredient.
- Calories: 51
- Carbohydrates: 2 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Fat: 4 g
- Calcium : 89 mg
- Iron: 1.3 mg
- Fibre: 1 g
Other minerals like potassium, magnesium and B vitamins are present in trace amounts.
Health Benefits Of Eating Sesame Seeds During Pregnancy:
Eating sesame seeds in pregnancy can have a variety of health benefits both for you and for your baby. However, do make sure that you are not allergic to these seeds and contact your doctor before consuming them.
1. Sesame seeds contain essential nutrients abundantly like iron, calcium, magnesium, B vitamins which are important for the proper growth of the foetus.
2. They are a rich source of fiber and alleviate symptoms of constipation and other digestion problems in pregnancy.
3. Sesame seeds contain folic acid, which prevents neural tube defects in babies.
4. The seeds are rich in vitamin C, which boosts the immune system and keeps infections at bay.
5. Sesame seeds are a rich source of iron and hence prevent anemia in both the mother and the baby.
6. They are rich in proteins and amino acids which ensure good health of the foetus.
7. They contain oleic acid which reduces bad cholesterol levels (LDL cholesterol), increases the good HDL cholesterol and maintains the lipid profile.
See More: can pregnant women eat sunflower seeds
Side Effects Of Sesame Seeds During Pregnancy:
1. Excessive consumption of sesame seeds may cause bowel irritation and aggravate nausea during pregnancy. Hence it is better to avoid consuming them in the first 3-4 months of pregnancy.
2. Sesame seeds when consumed in excess quantity may cause overheating of the body and may cause miscarriages during the first trimester of pregnancy.
3. Sesame seeds might also increase uterine contractions and increase the risk of abortions.
4. Sesame seeds may cause allergy and skin rashes in pregnancy.
5. If consumed in excess, they lead to unhealthy weight gain. 100 gms of sesame seeds contain 590 calories, which is equivalent to a meal portion.
How to include Sesame Seeds in Pregnancy Diet:
There are many ways to include sesame seeds to your diet. And now that you know its nutritional value here are some of the easier ways to add them to your diet.
- You can create a quick sesame dip and you can team this dip up with either some bread or vegetable stick for a quick snack.
- It can also add these seeds to you basic mint and coriander chutney and increase its nutritional value without compromising the taste.
- You can garnish your bowl of cereal with sesame seeds for extra crunch.
- Til laddoos are healthy additions to your diet.
- Sesame seeds can also be used to garnish Indian curries and gravies and salads.
Contrary to the popular belief, sesame seeds being harmful in pregnancy are totally a myth. If consumed in moderation, they are a complete package of nutrients and extremely beneficial in pregnancy. Take care not to consume them in excess and enjoy their health benefits.
Sesame seeds are otherwise safe to be consumed while pregnancy provided you are careful about how much you consume. This natural herb with its nutritional values has been proved safe all over by scientific studies. However, if you are still having second thoughts about consuming sesame seeds, then you can clear your doubts by having a talk with your physician.
See More: poppy seeds during pregnancy
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers:
Q1. Are Black Sesame Seeds Safe During Pregnancy?
Ans: Black sesame seeds are healthier than the white ones during pregnancy as they contain more calcium. So do not hesitate to munch on the black ones too.
Q2. Are Sesame Seeds Safe During Breastfeeding Time?
Ans: Sesame seeds are high in calcium and estrogen-like plant properties. They increase breast milk production in lactating mothers and are safe during breastfeeding.
Q3. When To Avoid Sesame Seeds During Pregnancy?
Ans: It is best to avoid sesame seeds in the first trimester of your pregnancy as it can increase nausea and if consumed in excess, might cause overheating of the body and cause miscarriages.
Disclaimer: The information in this article is not intended to be construed as professional medical advice and should not be used as a substitute for medical diagnosis and treatment. If you have any queries regarding sesame seeds during pregnancy, make sure to consult your physician and make an informed decision.