Spinach is a regularly and easily available item, and it can be included in everyday meals either cooked or raw as a salad. Spinach is also known as Palak in Hindi and is a variety of green leaf. It is rich in nutrition and is suitable for health. During pregnancy, the amount of nutrition required will be double as the mother has to feed the fetus also. Eating spinach in pregnancy helps the mother to provide sufficient nutrients to the developing fetus, and it helps in the proper growth and development of the baby in the womb.
Eating spinach when pregnant increases the stamina and it provides required nutrients to the baby and helps in proper development. There are many recipes on how to consume spinach for pregnancy, and this article also guides you on the benefits, nutrition value and how to consume palak in pregnancy. This also answers your questions on is it safe to eat spinach while pregnant and is palak good for pregnancy.
Is it Safe to Eat Spinach During Pregnancy?
Pregnancy is an important phase in the life of a mother, and there will always be a doubt whether is it okay to consume food. The same question arises when it comes to eating spinach when pregnant. Spinach for pregnant ladies is safe as it is benefitting both the mother and the child. Spinach is good for pregnancy, and it can be consumed along with an everyday meal to get sufficient iron and nutrients for both the mother and the child.
See More: Eating celery during pregnancy
Nutritional Value of Spinach in Pregnancy:
Nutritional value of spinach during pregnancy is high and below is the listed data on how much nutrition a bowl of spinach (100g) contains:
- Calories 23kcal
- Protein 2.3 g
- Carbs 4 grams
- Fat 0.4 grams
- Saturated fat 0.06g
- Iron 3 grams
- Folic acid 194 mcg
- Calcium 99 mg
- Water 91%
- Sugar 0.4 g
- Fibre 2.2 g
- Omega-3 0.14 g
- Omega-6 .03 g
Benefits of Eating Spinach During Pregnancy:
There are many known benefits of eating spinach during pregnancy when consumed in the right quantity. Spinach and pregnancy is a huge topic and is very well known for its health benefits. Some of the essential benefits of eating spinach during pregnancy are listed below:
1. Folic Acid:
The folic acid content in the spinach benefits the baby in spinal and cognitive development and also it prevents miscarriage
2. Vitamin B:
Mood swing usually occurs during pregnancy and eating spinach during early pregnancy helps in beating stress, depression, and anxiety. It also helps in brain tissues development in the baby
The calcium in spinach benefits pregnancy by adding value to the bone and teeth development of the baby. The calcium content helps in bone development and also it helps in reducing blood clots in the arteries for the mother.
4. Vitamin E:
Vitamin E has its benefits and craving spinach during pregnancy helps in improving the sight, and vitamin E also helps in regulating and controlling wheezing and asthma problems.
5. Vitamin A:
The Vitamin A content in the spinach helps in Lung development in the developing fetus. It also boosts the metabolism process in the baby which ensures healthy growth and development of the fetus.
The anti-inflammatory compound, glycolipid in spinach helps in the betterment of joint pains and also prevents arthritis.
7. Vitamin C:
The vitamin C in spinach boosts the immunity, and it can assist in preventing common cold which is a common problem during pregnancy due to climatic changes.
The fibre content in spinach helps in digestion problems which are again a common issue during pregnancy.
The nitrates in spinach help in lowering and regulating blood pressure level. It helps to prevent hypertension in the babies, and also it benefits the mother by keeping the blood pressure under control.
The protein content in spinach is good for pregnant women as it induces the production of amino acids and helps in maintaining glowing skin and also helps in good bone and muscle strength.
The area mentioned above a few spinach benefits for pregnancy. The spinach helps in the growth and development of both the mother and the fetus, and it also helps in proper growth of the fetus. Spinach in early pregnancy helps by boosting the metabolism activities of the baby. There may arise multiple questions in the young mother such as is spinach good for pregnancy, is it ok to eat spinach while pregnant, is palak good during pregnancy can I eat spinach while pregnant. No need to worry as the spinach benefits both the mother and the child in a better way with its nutrition contents,
Side Effects of Spinach in Pregnancy:
Though there are numerous medicinal benefits of spinach good for pregnant women, there are also a few side effects when consumed more. The spinach should be consumed in the prescribed quantity to benefit the entire good of spinach during pregnancy.
Some of the most commonly reported side effects are,
A. Kidney Stones:
The increased amount of oxalates in spinach boosts or induces kidney stone formation. If you have already suffered kidney stone problem, then you should avoid spinach as this will induce reformation of stones.
B. Digestion Problems:
The fibre content in spinach does help in constipation; however, when consumed in excess, it will lead to bloating and gastric issues.
C. Induces Prolonged Labour:
If spinach is consumed in excess, it will lead to prolonged, and it may also cause increased blood loss during the delivery.
Three Best Palak Recipes To Eat In Pregnancy :
Spinach can be consumed in any way during pregnancy and below are three best spinach recipes for pregnant women. These spinach recipes for pregnancy are easy to make to avail the benefits of spinach pregnancy Vitamin A.
Recipe 1: Spinach Creamy Soup
The creamy spinach soup can be consumed as lunch during pregnancy as this will be a perfect fill. This is a complete lack of essential vitamins and protein diet for a pregnant woman.
- 25g of butter.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped.
- Clove of garlic, crushed.
- 2 teaspoons of chopped chives.
- 900 ml of vegetable or chicken stock.
- 700g fresh spinach.
- 100 gm cream cheese.
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste.
- Melt the butter in the saucepan and gently fry the chopped onion and garlic until softened.
- Add the chopped chives, spinach and stock.
- Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Blend until smooth.
- Stir in the cream cheese and the freshly grated nutmeg.
- Simmer gently for a few more minutes to let the flavours develop and serve
Recipe 2: Spinach Dosa
Spinach dosa is a commonly made recipe all over India, and it is also easy to make recipe.
- 3 cups of mix flours (I have used oats flour, coarsely-ground whole wheat flour, and rice flour) or 3 cups of Dosa batter (Dosa Banane ka ghol).
- 1 cup curd (optional- use it if you are using multi-grain flours).
- Water to make a batter (optional- use it if you are using multi-grain flours).
- Salt as required.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (optional- I add onion when I make this dosa from multi-grain flours).
- Ingredients for Palak puree | Spinach puree.
- 250 gms Spinach leaves (Palak ke patte).
- 2 green chillies (Hari mirch).
- 5-6 garlic cloves (lasan / lahsun).
- You can cook Palak in the microwave or by boiling it in pot or kadhai.
- Make a puree of cooked Spinach garlic and green chillies.
- If you are using multigrain flour, take all the flours in a bowl.
- Add Spinach puree and curd to it.
- Add salt to taste and mix it and add little water to make Dosa batter out of it.
- If you are using Dosa batter, combine Palak puree with Dosa batter
- Heat non-stick or cast iron tawa (griddle) and grease it with a little oil.
- Pour a ladleful of batter at the centre of tawa and spread it in a circular motion from the centre towards the sides of the tawa.
- Smear a little oil, ghee or butter over it.
- Cook on high flames until it turns a bit brown.
- Flip and cook it on the other side and serve it with chutney.
Recipe 3: Spinach Juice
Spinach juice is a commonly made recipe all over India, and it is also easy to make recipe.
- 2 cups chopped Spinach, tightly packed.
- 1 Apple or Pear, cored and chopped.
- 1 stalk of Celery.
- Juice from 1/2 Lime or Lemon (or to taste), optional.
- 3/4 cup Water.
- Wash and clean the spinach, apple, and celery. Cut apple and celery into large pieces.
- Pour 3/4 cup water in a blender jar. Add apple and celery.
- Add spinach and juice from the lemon.
- Blend in a blender until smooth.
- Make sure that there are no chunks of fruits.
- Place a fine-mesh juice strainer (or sieve) over a large container and pour prepared juice mixture over it.
- Pour prepared juice into a serving glass and serve.
This article explains the nutrition value and medicinal benefits of the consumption of spinach during pregnancy, and it also answers many questions on baby spinach pregnancy. This article describes the therapeutic benefits. However, it also explains the side effects of over-consumption of palak during pregnancy. Pregnancy is a phase of every human life which should be cherished. Utilise this article as a guide for spinach during pregnancy to the most, try our spinach recipes for pregnancy and please feel free to share it with your friends and families!
Frequently Asked Questions & Answers:
Q1. Can I drink spinach juice while pregnancy?
Ans: Yes, you can drink spinach juice while pregnant as this juice is the direct extract of the spinach leaves and you can get the benefits directly. Spinach juice also benefits the lactating mother by inducing more milk production, and it helps the pregnant woman by supplying the required nutrients directly. This also answers the questions can I eat raw spinach while pregnant, is spinach good during pregnancy, is spinach good for pregnant women, can you eat spinach when pregnant as spinach juice is made with raw spinach.
Q2. A dosage of spinach to eat during pregnancy?
Ans: The prescribed quantity of spinach that should be consumed every day during pregnancy is 100g as the nutrients in this 100 g is sufficient for a day. The consumption of 100g of spinach a day is safe, and you don’t have to worry like is spinach safe during pregnancy, can you eat spinach while pregnant, is spinach good to eat while pregnant, can I eat spinach dip while pregnant, can you eat raw spinach when pregnant. In whichever form it is, it should not exceed a bowl (100 g).
Q3. Is It Safe To Eating Spinach During Early Pregnancy?
Ans: Yes, eating spinach during early pregnancy is safe as it induces better development of the fetus, bones, brain tissues and many more. You can consume spinach every day within the prescribed quantity for the better growth and development of the baby. You do not need to worry about, is spinach good in pregnancy, can pregnant women eat spinach, can I eat spinach when pregnant, should a pregnant woman eat spinach, cooked spinach during pregnancy. Consumption of spinach during pregnancy is safe.