Absolutely! You can eat peanut butter during pregnancy. The American Academy of Pediatrics, known as AAP, have data that prove that when a mother eats her peanut butter, there is no nut allergy that is passed on to her baby. This notion has been a myth! In fact, eating peanut or peanut butter during pregnancy will foster a healthy tolerance or immunity to nut related products and will make sure he/she does not fall for peanut allergy. The folate-rich peanut butter will make sure there is no defect in the neural tube of the baby.
Take a look at this article that will tell you the benefits, your dosage and how you can prepare healthy peanut butter at home.
What Is Peanut Butter?
It is in the form of a paste that is made from peanuts. The ground nuts are made from dry roasting and the taste is enhanced by other ingredients like salt, sweeteners and emulsifiers. This spread is very healthy for your body.
See More: Mayonnaise when Pregnant
Benefits of Peanut Butter During Pregnancy:
Here are some benefits of peanut butter that you should be aware of.
- It is good for removing a number of stomach problems. It is good for keeping the bowel system healthy as well, since, during pregnancy proper bowel activity equals to better health. Bowel movement stimulation is one of the most important features and benefits of peanut butter during pregnancy.
- Can you eat peanut butter when pregnant? Yes, you should! It is known to help in the development of the fetus.
- Peanut butter is a natural protein and is a good source of protein mainly for the vegetarians, whose food options are less.
- It is good for the heart as well. It promotes proper blood circulation and assists inflow or proper blood to the vessels and this stimulates better heart activity as well, which again makes peanut butter good for pregnant women.
- Peanut butter strengthens the body and makes the muscles eligible for enduring the stress of pregnancy and helps women to pass through that stage with minimum pain.
Is It Safe And Healthy To Eat Peanut Butter During Pregnancy?
If you are a person who has no sensitivity to peanuts, peanut butter and pregnancy can sure go hand in hand. The spread is highly nutritious and is also considered good for babies. In case you sense that you may have an allergy, the smartest thing to do might be to stay away from it. In this case, the child will also develop an allergy to peanuts. While the body will not inherit the same allergy, it will nevertheless inherit the sensitivity to certain elements just like his/her mother.
How To Prepare Peanut Butter At Home?
Here is an easy and inexpensive way to make your own peanut butter at home.
- Begin by dry roasting a cup of peanuts on low flame in a wok.
- When the peanuts just change their colour a little, transfer them to a food processor. Wait until they cool down.
- Allow the processor to run for 4-5 minutes. After this, add honey as per taste and a pinch of salt.
- Store it in an airtight container in your fridge.
It is as easy as that! Now your is peanut butter healthy during pregnancy? Even more than before!
How to Add Peanut Butter for Pregnancy Diet?
Use a spoon of the spread in your slice of bread. Alternatively, you can also use this in certain kinds of smoothies.
When To Avoid Peanut Butter During Pregnancy?
1. Peanut Sensitivity:
the first thing to watch out for is sensitivity to peanuts. It can sometimes cause minute gas or even indigestion problems. It is advisable to stop eating them if you experience any of these.
Some people are naturally prone to peanut allergy. This can complicate the pregnancy and can be bad for the baby.
3. Weight Gain:
too much of peanut butter can cause a weight gain during pregnancy. It is high in fats.
There are many substitutes for peanut butter that can be consumed during pregnancy but based on the contents and features of peanut butter it can be said that there is nothing like peanut butter and this is one of the prime reasons why women consume peanut butter during pregnancy. If for some reason you have an allergy to peanut or suppose any other food, you’re obviously not eating it, it is excluded from your diet.
See More: Eating Parmesan Cheese During Pregnancy
Enjoy your fresh dose of peanut butter made at home. Satiate your taste buds once in a while. However, like we always say, watch out how much of it you take. Craving peanut butter during early pregnancy has been normal. All you have to do is exercise some caution on the consumption level.
Frequently Asked Questions & Answers:
1. Does Eating Peanut Butter In Pregnancy Cause Allergies?
For those of you prone to peanut allergy and are sensitive, it sure can cause a certain kind of allergy. This, the sensitive element will also be passed on to the baby.
2. How Much Peanut Butter Can I Eat During Pregnancy?
The best person to decide this would your doctor. However, two tablespoons of peanut butter have about 76mcg of folic acid. You can take this thrice every week.
3. Is It Safe To Eat Peanut Butter During Breast Feeding?
Yes, it totally is safe. There is really nothing to worry about, as long as you take care of the portion.
4. What Are The Nutritional Facts For Peanut Butter To Help In Pregnancy?
Two tablespoons of peanut butter contain 76mcg of folic acid. 100 grams of peanut butter will approximately take care of 60% of your folate requirement needed during pregnancy.