Though the exact origin of the Blackberry fruit is not known it is expected that the fruit was first originated in Asia, North America or Europe. The importance of blackberry fruit tree was soon realized during the time of Greeks and Romans as the fruit was used in the medication processes. Blackberries are also known as Rubus fruticosus and there are around 40 species in a total of this fruit. As a known fact of blackberry history, these were not cultivated in the early time as the plant was considered as wild. It was later when the numerous benefits of blackberries were known that the plant began to be cultivated.
What is Blackberry?
Most of people know blackberry as fruit and nothing more than this. Therefore, one should first understand what is blackberry. Blackberry is a famous fruit that is found in the family of Rosaceae, particularly in the subgenus called Rubus. These are perennial plants which have biennial stems. These fruits are quite famous in the regions of Europe along with Africa and Asia.
Types of Blackberries:
The different types of blackberry fruit are as follow:
- Boysenberries – these are the large reddish-purple blackberries which were originated in the year 1920s.
- Loganberries – these berries are large and dark red in colour. These berries are also very tart blackberries which came into existence in the 19th century.
- Marionberries – these blackberries are round, flavorful and large.
- Youngberries – these are another type of blackberries which are quite very similar to the loganberries but they have their own specific flavour.
Is Blackberry Good for Health?
Yes, without any doubt, blackberry is good for health. As blackberries are rich in many nutrients like vitamin A, B, C and E along with potassium, calcium, magnesium, and antioxidants, there are some amazing health benefits of eating blackberries.
Accompany blackberry with many of the other natural ingredients to enhance the benefits and results for your health, hair, and skin. You will not regret the generated results from Blackberry.
Importance Of Blackberry:
The blackberry fruit is simply amazing in terms of its importance for the body. With a number of uses of blackberry, it is one of the most popular natural ingredients that come to the rescue for a number of problems.
From the available blackberry advantages, most of them target the needs of health, hair, and skin. It works like magic for the user’s needs and delivers the desired results. And who doesn’t like a natural ingredient that only delivers them easy benefits with no difficulties? Thanks to the various minerals and vitamins available in blackberry, that is one complete solution for all the body needs.
Blackberry Nutritional Facts:
The nutritional value of blackberry is now-where lacking behind to deliver its users with the needed benefits. The extent of various advantages of blackberry fruit can be analyzed with the high nutritional value that the fruit has. Blackberry has all the required vitamins, minerals and electrolytes for the efficient and fast growth of the health, hair, and skin.
The calories in blackberries along with the sugar in blackberries are also quite essential with the other minerals and vitamins available in this amazing fruit. The available blackberry carb count just targets for the right growth of the body and does not deliver any ill effects on the body unless taken in the right quantities.
Here are the Available Nutritional Values of The Blackberry:
- Energy: 43 Kcal
- Carbohydrates: 9.61 g
- Proteins: 1.39 g
- Vitamin A: 214 IU
- Fat: 0.49 g
- Vitamin C: 21 mg
- Cholesterol: 0 g
- Vitamin E: 1.17 mg
- Fibres: 7.6 g
- Vitamin K: 19.8 g
- Sodium: 1 mg
- Potassium: 162 mg
With such high nutritional value of blackberry, there is no doubt that it will be for the best to intake this fruit on a regular basis.
Amazing Benefits Of Blackberries for Skin, Hair & Health:
In this article, we enlisted some of the best benefits of blackberries for health, skin and hair. Let’s have a look into them.
11 Health Benefits of Blackberries:
Blackberry is an amazing ingredient with a number of health benefits. You will truly be amazed and surprised by your health improvements with blackberry. Here are some of the blackberry fruit health benefits that you will get:
1. Improve Brain Functioning:
The antioxidants available in the blackberry fruit helps in delivering the needed stability and strength to the functioning of the brain. Antioxidants like polyphenols are available in high quantity in blackberry dry fruit and thus deliver the necessary benefits to the grown adults.
How To Consume:
- Enjoy a dose of blackberry in either your breakfast or during any time of the day to enhance its benefits.
- You can also either have the raw blackberry or can mix it with some other home ingredients like olives or nuts to improve the benefits.
2. Healthy Heart:
The blackberry fruit benefits and disadvantages also indicate having a healthy heart. Blackberries are a good source of anthocyanin which is an essential ingredient for removing the blockages in the arteries and thus to result in the normal functioning of the heart. The higher fibre content of blackberries along with the presence of magnesium stimulates the blood pressure and also reduces the chances of heart attacks.
How To Consume:
- Consume about 2-3 blackberries regularly to get the maximum benefits from this fruit.
- But do remember not to have an overdose as it may not be suitable for the body.
3. Boost Immunity:
The various vitamins and minerals available in blackberries are sufficient enough to boost the immunity of your body. Don’t believe us? Well, the fruit is an excellent source of phytoestrogens which helps the body to fight against the various infections and also with the various pathogens.
How To Consume:
- Make sure that you include blackberry in some of the other form in your diet to boost your immunity.
- It is suggested that you regularly go with the consumption of about 5-6 blackberries regularly.
- You can always mix it with some of your favourite nuts or other ingredients for enhancing the taste and benefits.
4. Improves Digestion:
A single cup of blackberry has about 7.6g of fibre, which without a doubt is an amazing ingredient to fight against the problem of digestion. The abundant amount of fibre in these berries provides enough time to the stretchy and greasy food items for digestion and thus helps in improving the digestive process of the body.
Also, the high fibre quantity in blackberries keeps you full for a long time and thus helps you to avoid eating unhealthy. As a result, you can lose weight as well. Therefore, blackberry is one solution for your needs for weight loss and improving your digestion process.
How To Consume:
- No matter, if you have the extreme problem of constipation and digestion, 5-6 blackberries daily is all that you need.
5. Healthy Bones:
If you want to keep your bones healthy and fit for a longer time, then you should include blackberries in your diet. Maintaining healthy bones is one of the many blackberry benefits which make the fruit extremely popular amongst the users. Calcium, magnesium and phosphorous are the main ingredients that help in making the bones healthy.
Calcium and magnesium provide the needed strengths in the bones along with the maximum absorption in the bones. On the other hand, phosphorous is necessary for regulating the proper functioning of the cells.
How To Consume:
- Grab on 4-5 blackberries and see your bones getting healthier.
6. Prevent Cancer:
Blackberry is also quite useful in fighting against the problem of cancer. Firstly, it helps with the prevention of the cancer-causing cells and along with this it also helps in the curing process of the cancer cells in the body. The antioxidants available in the blackberry leaves and blackberry tree help the body to fight against colon cancer, lung cancer, and oesophagal cancer.
Blackberry history has also suggested that this fruit has some micronutrients that prevent the cancer-causing cells to spread inside the body.
How To Consume:
- Have some 3-4 blackberries regularly and get the benefits of blackberries against cancer.
7. Control Diabetes:
High blood sugar is one of the major reasons that cause diabetes. Therefore, as a preventive measure against diabetes, one must take care to have their blood sugar in control. This is where the blackberries can come into action. The potassium content available in blackberries helps in keeping the level of blood sugar in balance.
How To Consume:
- In most of the cases of diabetes, the person is suggested to have blackberry diet to control the blood sugar levels.
- You can also add spoon honey with blackberries to control diabetes. It is recommended to take blackberries for one week.
See More: Strawberry Benefits
8. Regulate Menstrual Health:
The various minerals and vitamins found in blackberries are very suitable for maintaining menstrual health. Blackberries are taken during the menstrual cycle for getting the maximum health benefits of blackberries. The fruit acts a uterine tonic which helps in stabilising the blood flow during the menses.
The vitamin K in blackberries even helps in preventing the formation of blood clots during the menstrual cycle. You can have blackberry tea benefits during your menses and witness all your menstrual problems being eliminated or reduced. Other than this, you can also take the blackberry dry fruit benefits for a smooth flow during the menses.
9. Improves Vision:
Blackberries are a good source of vitamin A which helps in improving the eyesight of the person. Further, the antioxidants available in the blackberry reduce the risk of damages to the eyes.
Blackberries deliver all the needed ingredients that are essential for keeping the eyes healthy. It is not just carrots that can give you sharp eyesight but sometimes even a small fruit like blackberry can do the magic.
How To Consume:
- Having about three servings of blackberries every week will let you enjoy the maximum health benefits of blackberries for your eyes.
- You can also include having blackberry juice for getting the blackberry juice health benefits for vision without any hassles.
10. Weight Management:
Do you want to lose weight? Are you tired of trying everything and still didn’t get the desired results? If this is the case, then you should once try having blackberries with your regular diet. It has been observed that consuming blackberries with regular exercising routine really helps in maintaining body weight.
Blackberries are rich with fibre content which helps the body to be full for the maximum time. This reduces the desire to keep munching frequently.
How To Consume:
- As having some blackberries regularly prevents the eating habits of unhealthy food, it can help in weight management.
- You can also try blackberry oil for cooking your food and get the blackberry oil benefits as well.
11. Reduce Inflammation:
If you have some knowledge about what is blackberry, then you would know that the fruit is amazing with its inflammation properties. The high value of antioxidants in the fruit helps in delivering the needed benefits against the problem of inflammation.
How To Use:
- You can always have the blackberries as a solid fruit but in the case of inflammations, you can crush the fruit and extract its powder.
- You can use the blackberry powder on the affected area and can enjoy the blackberry powder benefits against the struggles with inflammation.
With these benefits of blackberry, the concerns of most of the people relating to are blackberries healthy? Yes, they absolutely are! And they are amazing, not only for the growing individuals but for people of all age groups.
Top 5 Benefits of Blackberries for Skin:
Blackberries for skin is nothing less than some magic as it helps in maintaining the smoothness of the skin along with helping it to glow with radiance. Now you don’t need several products for having a glowing skin. You can entirely rely on blackberries and enrich your skin with all the needed minerals and vitamins for the skin benefits. Here are some of the blackberry fruit benefits and disadvantages that you can sustain from blackberries:
Blackberry is one essential ingredient that delivers the needed benefits for the skin. Blackberry for skin works like magic and delivers only the best results. The presence of antioxidants in the fruit is the prime reasons which help in smoothing the skin.
Blackberries also have vitamin A and C which further protects the skin against the harmful UV rays and thus helps in preventing the anti-ageing symptoms. The regular uses of blackberry will enhance the process of skin benefits for the maximum. As it helps in cleaning the skin, you can maintain the charm and glow of the skin.
How To Use:
- You can mix some honey and a little number of essential oils with blackberry and can double the benefits for your skin.
2. Clean Oily Skin:
Blackberry nutrition also acts as a natural cleanser as it thoroughly cleans the oil from the skin. Along with cleaning the skin, blackberry also works for detoxification of the skin which removes the excess oil from the skin. You either can take a cleanser with blackberry ingredient or you can make your own natural cleanser.
How To Apply:
- Mix blackberry juice in fuller’s earth and make a thick paste
- Clean your face and then apply this mixture evenly on your face
- Leave for just 2 minutes and then wash with fresh water
This will remove all the dirt and excess oil from the skin along with shrinking the pores and purifying the skin.
See More: Blueberry Benefits
3. Fights Free Radicals:
Anthocyanocides and polyphenols are the two main antioxidants that fight against the free radicals in the skin to make it more beautiful. Other than this, the blackberry fruit vitamins are also responsible for making the skin vibrant to fight against the free radicals. Blackberry also has collagen which removes any discolouration from the skin.
How To Apply:
- You can mix the extracts from blackberry with lemon juice and essential oil and then apply it on your face.
- Let it dry for some time and then wash it with water.
- You can also apply the raw blackberry juice on your face for getting the blackberry juice benefits.
4. Hydrates Skin:
This will not be a surprise for many people that blackberries are made of 85% water and this is a great source for skin hydration. This is one of the major advantages of blackberry fruit that it delivers an abundant amount of water to the body. Other than that, they also contain a good amount of fibres which contributes to a younger-looking skin.
How To Apply:
- Add some honey to the crushed juice of blackberry and mix both the ingredients well.
- Now apply this mask on your face and neck and wait till it dries.
- Post washing your skin, you will feel your skin to be fresh and radiant.
5. Rejuvenate The Skin:
The plenty of vitamins in blackberries work as amazing skin rejuvenators. Vitamins like A, C, and K combine together with omega 3 and omega 6 to deliver the younger-looking skin. All these ingredients provide the needed health to the skin as well.
How To Apply:
- Take some blackberries and blend them with yoghurt.
- Mix some lemon juice and nutmeg powder to the mixture.
- Apply this mixture on the face and neck and leave for 25-30 minutes before washing.
The regular use of this face mask will give younger, smooth and glowing skin. In addition to the blackberry fruit benefits, this pack will also moisturize and hydrate the skin.
Benefits of Blackberries for Hair:
Let’s have a look into some amazing Blackberry Benefits for Hair Growth.
1. Promotes Healthy Hair Growth:
One of the major blackberry fruit benefits is its ability to help in the generation of healthy hair and to reduce the hair fall. The vitamin C present in blackberry is the main ingredient that helps in the generation of collagen which contributes towards having healthier hair.
The antioxidants available in blackberry reduce the chances of scalp infections along with the harmful effects of the environment on the hair. It also minimizes the fungal infection or damages either to the skin or to the hair.
The regular use of the extracts from the blackberry plant is well-known to deliver the needed bounce, shine, and smoothness to the hair. You will also witness the changes in your hair volume. It is not just the blackberry extract benefits but you can mix many other ingredients with that to enhance the benefits.
Blackberry Hair Mask:
You can make an amazing hair mask using the blackberry and some other essential ingredients like essential oils, almond oil, aloe vera gel, etc. You don’t really have to invest in much time or energy in the process and can make it in very easy steps. Here are the steps that you can follow:
- Take the blackberry extract in a bowl.
- Mix a few drops of essential oils and almond oil in the extract.
- In the mixture further, add a bit of aloe vera gel.
- Mix all the ingredients properly to form a smooth paste.
How To Apply:
- You can apply this paste on your hair and leave for about 20 minutes and then rinse with normal water.
- This will allow your hair to absorb the blackberries nutrition to the maximum.
- Repeat this process once in a month for getting the best results for your hair quality.
See More: Cranberry Benefits
Blackberry Side Effects:
With blackberries, you would get only the benefits and advantages for your health, hair, and skin. But don’t exceed the quantity of these fruits else you would have to face the blackberry side effects. Yes, just like every other thing, blackberry also has some side effects that can harm the normal functioning of your body.
The very common blackberry side effects that you may face after the excessive dosage of this fruit are food poisoning followed by vomiting, nausea, and diarrhoea. Though all these problems can easily be cured you must avoid taking a very high amount of blackberries to be on the safer side.
Are blackberries good for health? Well, now you certainly must be aware of this. These are some of the health benefits of eating blackberries that you can get. Blackberry is such a fruit that will never disappoint you with its numerous benefits and advantages. So when do you include this amazing fruit in your diet?
If you have doubts about eating blackberries or about the blackberry fruit uses, you can write to us by commenting below. Our experts will provide you with the best solutions possible that can be relevant to your need. Also, share if you have any other relevant information about blackberries. We would appreciate your contribution.